Depleting Serotonin With BCAA

Hitoshi

haidut sorry to be a pain, in your first post you say you combine the BCAA (with leucine, isoleucine, valine in these ratios) - is this what is contained in the Ajinomoto brand?

then on top you are using gelatin or Tyrosine?

M

marek1989

Hi. Thanks for the idea haidut! Is the combo of BCAA + L-tyrosine supossed to be taken 1 times a day?

Jsaute21

Just confirming that 5 g of bcaa or less is safe to do with any form of protein meals. (Chicken, milk, cottage cheese, etc). I take jarrow formulas

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut, is there any benefit to taking tyrosine instead of phenylalanine with the bcca's?

Phenylalanine can suppress dopamine synthesis when taken in higher doses (2g+ in a single dose) while tyrosine is supposed to be non-suppressive. However, I always got much better libido and mood boost from BCAA + 1g-2g phenylalanine than from BCAA + 1g-2g tyrosine. I guess everybody is different but both combinations should lower serotonin and keep dopamine intact or even raise it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut sorry to be a pain, in your first post you say you combine the BCAA (with leucine, isoleucine, valine in these ratios) - is this what is contained in the Ajinomoto brand?

then on top you are using gelatin or Tyrosine?

I doesn't matter what ratio of leucine/valine/isoleucine you take - they all compete with tryptophan and displace it from entering the brain. In fact, you can achieve the same result by using only leucine and tyrosine, valine and tyrosine etc. The BCAA brand also does not matter as long as the product is pure.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I've tried this a few times now and felt nothing :(

Take it on an empty stomach with some sweetened drink. Taking combined with protein blunts the effects a bit.

PeatThemAll

I'd recommend people take 5g of BCAA 1-2 hours after their protein+sugar meal, especially in the mornings.

We need to remember that just because we eat two foods together, it doesn't mean they'll enter our bloodstream together. It's what ends up in our bloodstream that counts and timing is critical.

Isolated amino acids, like BCAAs, can take upto 15-30 minutes to enter the bloodstream, whereas the amino acids from a complete protein meal (i.e. your sugar+protein meal) can take unto 90-120 minutes. So if we take the BCAAs without the complimentary amino acids in our bloodstream, we'll experience lowered dopamine and the resulting negative effects until the rest of the amino acids from our protein meal enter the bloodstream and help alleviate some of the distress.

A good measure would be to take the 5g of BCAA as soon as you feel the rise in temp and pulse from your previous meal.
FWIW, I've been experimenting with creatine (5g scoop) and taurine (3g scoop) at the same time or shortly before taking vegan protein powder. Maybe it's simply because of too much nitrogen at the same time, but the brain fog has been of one magnitude above (too much protein makes me drowsy, but that combo feels like I drank too much eg can't focus at all).

PUTFOT

BCAA should always be taken either with other protein or with tyrosine / phenylalanine.The first option is preferable, since portein provides both tyrosine and phenylalanine in optimal ratios.
Which protein sources are ideal for this?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Which protein sources are ideal for this?

Gelatin is ideal to combine with BCAA, and adding a bit of other complete protein should be enough to make it a protein for daily ingestion. So, if you daily protein intake is 90g I think eating 15g gelatin (1 tbsp.), 3g BCAA and maybe 10g other protein like meat, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, etc would be a good protein dose and that can be repeated 3 times daily to complete your total protein intake.

PUTFOT

Gelatin is ideal to combine with BCAA, and adding a bit of other complete protein should be enough to make it a protein for daily ingestion. So, if you daily protein intake is 90g I think eating 15g gelatin (1 tbsp.), 3g BCAA and maybe 10g other protein like meat, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, etc would be a good protein dose and that can be repeated 3 times daily to complete your total protein intake.
Got it. Thanks.

gilbert90

I've been doing this for a couple of days with the suggested dose and with good results but I've gotten this weird side effect, Ive lost feeling in my left thigh, its numb, like its sleeping, a slight tingling sensation aswell, now is this normal with high dose BCAA or should I be worried?

Progesterone

haidut, I've just ordered 1lb bag of L-Tyrosine based on this recommendation.

1. Are you still of the opinion that BCAA + Tyrosine is a good combo?

2. I have some flavoured BCAA w/ sucralose that I will stop buying as soon as I run out, BUT I just bought some unflavoured micronized BCAA. My plan is to add something like Gatorade powder to it to sweeten it (since sugar is good as per RP). Thoughts on this please??

Thanks!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut, I've just ordered 1lb bag of L-Tyrosine based on this recommendation.

1. Are you still of the opinion that BCAA + Tyrosine is a good combo?

2. I have some flavoured BCAA w/ sucralose that I will stop buying as soon as I run out, BUT I just bought some unflavoured micronized BCAA. My plan is to add something like Gatorade powder to it to sweeten it (since sugar is good as per RP). Thoughts on this please??

Thanks!

I think either tyrosine or phenylalanine would be good to try. If using tyrosine, make sure you get plenty of sunlight exposure. You may also want to try adding a bit of vitamin B6 (5mg daily) to increase conversion of tyrosine into dopamine.

Progesterone

I think either tyrosine or phenylalanine would be good to try. If using tyrosine, make sure you get plenty of sunlight exposure. You may also want to try adding a bit of vitamin B6 (5mg daily) to increase conversion of tyrosine into dopamine.

Thank you sir!

1-2g of Tyrosine a day should suffice? is any more/less recommended?

If I something like 10-15g of BCAA's in 1 shot, should I bump up the Tyrosine dosage as well?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you sir!

1-2g of Tyrosine a day should suffice? is any more/less recommended?

If I something like 10-15g of BCAA's in 1 shot, should I bump up the Tyrosine dosage as well?

Look through the original thread. The doses for BCAA and tyrosine are discussed there. Taking 10g-15g BCAA is too much.

Progesterone

Look through the original thread. The doses for BCAA and tyrosine are discussed there. Taking 10g-15g BCAA is too much.

Thanks, just checking.

haidut what is your thoughts on sucralose (Splenda)? How bad is it? Just curious, I have been consuming it for a little while (it's in my BCAA mix and preworkout mix, but I will stop as soon as I run out of them).

Also, would flavoring my BCAA's with Gatorade powder (Sucrose) be a wise idea? (EDIT: Now seeing this may contain High fructose corn syrup)

Perhaps just adding regular plain old Sugar 20-30g to BCAA's is better)?

EDIT: looks like the Gatorade powder MAY BE okay?

SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CITRIC ACID, SALT,SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CARAMEL COLOR, RED 40

Serving Size 1 2/3 Tbsp (23g)/Makes about 12 fl oz
Servings Per Container About 26

Amount Per Serving
Calories 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Potassium 45mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%
Sugars 21g
Protein 0g

^^Am I crazy in thinking that this doesn't seem so bad? You get sugar, carbs... much better than consuming Sucralose?

Last edited:

tomisonbottom

Thanks, just checking.

haidut what is your thoughts on sucralose (Splenda)? How bad is it? Just curious, I have been consuming it for a little while (it's in my BCAA mix and preworkout mix, but I will stop as soon as I run out of them).

Also, would flavoring my BCAA's with Gatorade powder (Sucrose) be a wise idea? (EDIT: Now seeing this may contain High fructose corn syrup)

Perhaps just adding regular plain old Sugar 20-30g to BCAA's is better)?

EDIT: looks like the Gatorade powder MAY BE okay?

SUGAR, DEXTROSE, CITRIC ACID, SALT,SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SILICATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CARAMEL COLOR, RED 40

Serving Size 1 2/3 Tbsp (23g)/Makes about 12 fl oz
Servings Per Container About 26

Amount Per Serving
Calories 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Potassium 45mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%
Sugars 21g
Protein 0g

^^Am I crazy in thinking that this doesn't seem so bad? You get sugar, carbs... much better than consuming Sucralose?

Not sure if you figured it out, but I'd say just use the sugar. There's no reason to be eating "natural" and artificial flavor, modified food starch, citric acid, and red 40, when you could just use sugar and know it's safe.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals