Being Poor

Travis

What does how many eggs a person eats per day have to do with how much more the better eggs cost?
It doesn't, of course. I had originally typed one logical but didn't like the wording so I had changed the latter half of that sentence, yet had overlooked how it clashed with the first half. I'm pretty sure I had actually fixed that before you'd made that comment (before I'd read your comment to be sure). Whatever the case, it hadn't escaped me when I was reading what had been typed.

cyclops

the better ones cost only about 10¢ more per egg.

At my local Whole Foods you can get regular eggs for $3 per dozen and the pasture-raised eggs start at $7 a dozen, with organic pasture-raised being $8 0r $9 per dozen.

At $3 a dozen thats 25cents per egg. Obviously at $7 a dozen you will be paying more then double that. So 10cents more per egg seems off, at least where I am.

Last edited:
I know some people are poor and eat very well. They are living on very simple foods.

I doubt some of the members here who eat well are all well-off.

Even eating crap eggs, drinking cheap milk, and so forth, can be fine, compared to eating the Standard American Diet.

Travis

At my local Whole Foods you can get regular eggs for $3 per dozen and the pasture-raised eggs start at $7 a dozen, with organic pasture-raised being $8 0r $9 per dozen.

At $3 a dozen thats 25cents per egg. Obviously at $7 a dozen you will be paying more then double that. So 10cents more per egg seems off, at least where I am.
Wow. I didn't know they cost so much at Whole Foods™. At Woodman's™, a local Illinois-based tri-state grocery store, the cheap ones are $2 and the most expensive are only $4 (and other free-range ones can be had for $3). [All prices expressed per dozen eggs.] Both the most expensive ones and the medium-priced ones are locally-produced in what I'd assume to be less-tortuous conditions. These are also of course brown eggs, but I can of course say nothing about what's inside: the linoleic acid content (which is probably more-or-less the same as that found in the cheaper white eggs).

cyclops

Wow. I didn't know they cost so much at Whole Foods™. At Woodman's™, a local Illinois-based tri-state grocery store, the cheap ones are $2 and the most expensive are only $4 (and other free-range ones can be had for $3). [All prices expressed per dozen eggs.] Both the most expensive ones and the medium-priced ones are locally-produced in what I'd assume to be less-tortuous conditions. These are also of course brown eggs, but I can of course say nothing about what's inside: the linoleic acid content (which is probably more-or-less the same as that found in the cheaper white eggs).

Sounds like Woodman's doesn't have "pasture-raised" eggs though, only free range. I've heard the nutritional profile of free range eggs isn't that much different then regular eggs and that pasture-raised is really what makes the eggs better nutritionally. Maybe Whole Foods does not carry any eggs from chickens that have been tortured because it would not suit their mission, so maybe their cheap $3 eggs are not that bad from an ethical standpoint. Not sure though.

Travis

Sounds like Woodman's doesn't have "pasture-raised" eggs though, only free range. I've heard the nutritional profile of free range eggs isn't that much different then regular eggs and that pasture-raised is really what makes the eggs better nutritionally. Maybe Whole Foods does not carry any eggs from chickens that have been tortured because it would not suit their mission, so maybe their cheap $3 eggs are not that bad from an ethical standpoint. Not sure though.

I'll try to remember to take a look in about one week when I go back, but I was always under the impression that the more expensive eggs were still rather inexpensive compared to other foods. This could be because I live in one of the more agricultural states, but also must have a bit to do with Woodman's™ itself. The store's internal volume is insanely large and it's employee owned; this store is 'not for profit' (or so they say). I have traveled other states and always eat at grocery stores (the only restaurant I go to is Chipotle™ and Qdoba™) and I have never seen one as cheap as Woodman's. And due to its size, the selection can only be exceeded by the very few. Perhaps you can assume that Woodman's presents a special case for the aforementioned reasons, but.. . [let me see if they have online website.. .]

Okay. Here you go. Here are some representative titles and prices:

Nellie's Free Range Eggs Large Fresh Brown Grade A – 12 CT
$3.99

Milo's Farms Medium Organic Brown Eggs 12 CT
$2.79

Pete And Gerrys Eggs Organic Large 12 CT
$4.99

Organic Valley Organic Large Brown Eggs Free Range Grade A – 12 Ct
$4.99 $1.99

Blue Sky Free Range Brown Eggs– 12 Ct
$3.49

Full Circle Eggs Vegetarian Fed Brown Large– 12 Ct
$2.89

Phil's Fresh Eggs Large Cage Free– 12 Ct
$3.19 $2.79

The other ones can be viewed by following this link.

I didn't know that there was a formal distinction between pasture-raised and free-range, and have to admit that I hadn't even been aware of such a classification. I don't often buy eggs.

tankasnowgod

How would you recommend someone in the cycle of poverty pull out into wealth/abundance?

Lisa, this is a great question, and since I have done this myself (went from flat broke, to doing well financially), I will share what helped me out. Please note, I'm not what you'd call "rich" just yet, but I did make a huge turn to the upside, in the span of 2-3 years. I've been mostly comfortable financially for the past 5 years or so.

First off, the works of Napoleon Hill really lay the foundation. Read Think And Grow Rich. I've read it multiple times, and plan on reading it (or the much larger "Laws Of Success" again, multiple times). Start there. You can find videos of him speaking on Youtube. Earl Nightengale also sums it up in a nice half hour listen, too-

To make a big change, it's going to take time, likely 2 years or so. However, you can start seeing good results much quicker than that, often times in a few months. Take a few months, and really think about what you want to do with your life. Think long term. What would you like to be doing or achieve in 5 years time? Look at what might really be useful in that time, and put yourself into a growing industry or area. Make a Long term plan with a big goal, but then, chunk it down to steps that can be taken quarterly, monthly, weekly, daily, even something you can do right now. I read a lot of NLP books, and this one breaks down how to successfully reach a long term goal in six ways, all of which are equally important - https://www.amazon.com/NLP-New-Tech..._9?ie=UTF8&qid=1522597866&sr=8-9&keywords=nlp it's in one of the later chapters.

Another huge thing for me was hiring a few career coaches in my field. It was pricey at the time, and I barely had any money to do it, but that investment paid off in spades.

Lastly, money itself. Debt is horrible, in general. Get out of it anyway you can. Finding lower interest rates, bankruptcy, whatever you have to do. Live below your means, not above them. Also, as far as savings are concerned.... I hate the banks. Interest rates for savers are pathetic, and banks have pretty much shown they can't be trusted with your money after 2008. If/When you have any significant money (like, say, more that $2000), find a good place to store that that isn't in the hands of a third party. Silver, Crypto, Gold, Real Estate..... those would be my choices, depending. The Central Banking/Fiat money system is designed to steal from everybody by inflation. Those four will go a long way toward protecting your assets. Crypto, as an emerging market, might be the thing you are really looking for, if you are looking to really change your financial life.

L

lollipop

Lisa, this is a great question, and since I have done this myself (went from flat broke, to doing well financially), I will share what helped me out. Please note, I'm not what you'd call "rich" just yet, but I did make a huge turn to the upside, in the span of 2-3 years. I've been mostly comfortable financially for the past 5 years or so.

First off, the works of Napoleon Hill really lay the foundation. Read Think And Grow Rich. I've read it multiple times, and plan on reading it (or the much larger "Laws Of Success" again, multiple times). Start there. You can find videos of him speaking on Youtube. Earl Nightengale also sums it up in a nice half hour listen, too-

To make a big change, it's going to take time, likely 2 years or so. However, you can start seeing good results much quicker than that, often times in a few months. Take a few months, and really think about what you want to do with your life. Think long term. What would you like to be doing or achieve in 5 years time? Look at what might really be useful in that time, and put yourself into a growing industry or area. Make a Long term plan with a big goal, but then, chunk it down to steps that can be taken quarterly, monthly, weekly, daily, even something you can do right now. I read a lot of NLP books, and this one breaks down how to successfully reach a long term goal in six ways, all of which are equally important - https://www.amazon.com/NLP-New-Tech..._9?ie=UTF8&qid=1522597866&sr=8-9&keywords=nlp it's in one of the later chapters.

Another huge thing for me was hiring a few career coaches in my field. It was pricey at the time, and I barely had any money to do it, but that investment paid off in spades.

Lastly, money itself. Debt is horrible, in general. Get out of it anyway you can. Finding lower interest rates, bankruptcy, whatever you have to do. Live below your means, not above them. Also, as far as savings are concerned.... I hate the banks. Interest rates for savers are pathetic, and banks have pretty much shown they can't be trusted with your money after 2008. If/When you have any significant money (like, say, more that $2000), find a good place to store that that isn't in the hands of a third party. Silver, Crypto, Gold, Real Estate..... those would be my choices, depending. The Central Banking/Fiat money system is designed to steal from everybody by inflation. Those four will go a long way toward protecting your assets. Crypto, as an emerging market, might be the thing you are really looking for, if you are looking to really change your financial life.

Fantastic post and great ideas. Thank you :):

fradon

How to you get healthy when you are poor? Seems like everything healthy is to expensive ..

Eat more fat and fast more. The body only needs a certain amount of protein and you can even pick up tilapia, eggs, and chicken at the dollar tree. there is some benefit to fasting as it increases autogaphy its suppose to keep the body young. sugar is easy to come by its everwhere. FOOD is sedating anyways...eating less would make you more aware, more enlightened.

fasting is suppose to heal the gut, let the liver detoxify the body, and increase hormones and neurochemicals. YAY BEING POOR it will keep you alive longer.

B

Braveheart

" I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer. " Jim Carrey

The Joe Rogan Experience on Instagram: “@danbilzerian on why rich people aren’t as happy . . . #joerogan #joeroganexperience #thejoeroganexperience #jre #eddiebravo #lol #haha…”

" I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer. " Jim Carrey

@ecstatichamster[/]I think Jim Carrey is referring to be rich and famous superficially. There is a difference in energies in an abundant person and Someone who is greedy rich. The abundant person energy is the pure form of the greed energy and a fun **** way to live life when it is flowing through your system :D

KimmyG

That was actually one of Ray Peat his goals, to create a healthy diet for people without a lot of money.
Milk, Eggs, Potatoes, and Chocolate are cheap foods you can buy in bulk, and are very low in PUFA and high in nutrients.
Orange Juice, Meats and Shellfish if you have slightly more money to spend.

How about Canned Tuna?

goodandevil

Not true at all. The most satisfied people work the longest hours and inherited wealth plays no role. It is the rare idle rich that are drug addicts and have mental health problems. People are happy when they are working hard at meaningful and remunerative tasks.
You're insane.

KimmyG

Its ok every now and then. I wouldn't eat tuna as a staple though. I think it has a high mercury content.
It may provide useful minerals like other seafood.

Fair enough! Maybe once a week type of thing.

Travis

You're insane.

Perhaps what he thinks as 'working hard' is doing things like editing a book, routing phone calls, or . . . perhaps feeding the Dalmations at the firehouse? Even so: it's insulting to people like roofers, brick layers, welders, and . . . even some teachers & lecturers to think hard work is invariably satisfying. While its true that many socialite's, playboys, and industrial scions are known for being drunken wrecks (i.e. P. Hilton, D. Parker, F. Fitzgerald, G. Bush, N. Kempner) this is not invariably true; people like John F. Kennedy Jr. and Brooke Astor appeared rather straight-header despite their millions.

goodandevil

Perhaps what he thinks as 'working hard' is doing things like editing a book, routing phone calls, or . . . perhaps feeding the Dalmations at the firehouse? Even so: it's insulting to people like roofers, brick layers, welders, and . . . even some teachers & lecturers to think hard work is invariably satisfying. While its true that many socialite's, playboys, and industrial scions are known for being drunken wrecks (i.e. P. Hilton, D. Parker, F. Fitzgerald, G. Bush, N. Kempner) this is not invariably true; people like John F. Kennedy Jr. and Brooke Astor appeared rather straight-header despite their millions.
Yeah, it may be true in some cases, but it's like the slogan of "for the good of the group" or something, a slogan that would be better not existing. No one sane enjoys doing things for money, not even ray.

goodandevil

Jfk got down, he had jacqueline plus marilyn and was on a lot of pills. I say **** it, if he accomplished something, which we can hope he did. I think the same mores dont apply to that class but for some reason we're encouraged to apply the way of thinking we're encouraged to adopt, viz. the prole way of thinking, to their behavior. I can se3 kids born into it hating it quite a bit, maybe that was jfk amd rfk.

Those "money can't buy happiness" claims are always a lot of nonsense for the newspapers to placate the plebes. There is a strong direct correlation between income/wealth and satisfaction that holds up almost however you slice the numbers, all over the world. Even the diminishing marginal utility claims about wealth are not so true; the more the better.

What is your source for these hot takes

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals