The importance of aerobic conditioning

GreekDemiGod

How are Peaters staying in top cardiovascular health and high vitality levels if they’re avoiding cardio?
I can’t wrap my head around this. Haircut and many others here are strongly against cardiovascular/ aerobic activity, even minimal levels?
Given this, how are people staying in shape if they are sedentary?
Not being winded down during sex, hiking is IMO a sign of optimal vitality: energy levels.
If you’re not able to comfortably run 2 miles, ku can’t be healthy.
Can Haidut run 2 miles?

Is poor aerobic conditioning affected by thyroid function too?
There’s no way completely avoiding lipolysis is the way to go.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

I can’t wrap my head around this. Haircut and many others here are strongly against cardiovascular/ aerobic activity, even minimal levels?

Theoretical. They simply haven't become conditioned to it. Those who are know intmately that it does wonders for their health and they can't live well without it

Last edited:

LadyRae

How are Peaters staying in top cardiovascular health and high vitality levels if they’re avoiding cardio?
Given this, how are people staying in shape if they are sedentary?
Not being winded down during sex, hiking is IMO a sign of optimal vitality: energy levels.
If you’re not able to comfortably run 2 miles, ku can’t be healthy.
Can Haidut run 2 miles?

There’s no way completely avoiding lipolysis is the way to go.
It's a valid question for sure. From my experience, it doesn't take a lot of cardiovascular training to achieve aerobic fitness. Of course everyone is different but in the years when I was doing a lot of endurance running, I noticed that my aerobic fitness developed really quickly, and then the majority of the training was just trying to get my body to be able to handle the many many miles and be able to recover from that.

So I think that most people can achieve aerobic fitness without going beyond into the high stressed endurance zone...

Runenight201

I agree, but I’m not sure if the way endurance training is typically done is the best way to improve aerobic capability. Something as simple as walking for long periods of time strictly nasal breathing may produce better results. Perhaps hiking for hours up in the mountains could do it too

Palerider

High rep bodyweight squats is but one very effective and time efficient method to build aerobic capacity and develop reasonable muscular strength without imposing high stress wear and tear on the body or joints.
Also incline walking at sufficient speed to demand some effort without transitioning into jogging or running.

I may of course be wrong but I have noticed consistent reduction in quality of life when not doing at least one of these 2 or 3 times a week.

If you know the secret around this reality please share it.

Beastmode

Long walks, bike rides, etc outdoors at low intensity (i.e- zone 2 heart rate) while keeping blood sugar good is in no way unhealthy for most.

The more unhealthy, the less one should start with.

I think the biggest problem with "cardio" is that it's separated from doing simply doing things that one enjoys for longer periods of time.

Similar to when people ask about taking testosterone, where Peat always mentions if one has all the basic stuff sorted fist (i.e- thyroid, c to p ratio, vitamin d, etc,) it can more effective and safe.

If one isn't under a lot of stress, getting good rest, good blood sugar, not driving their system into a lactic state for long durations, etc; some form of extended movement periods (i.e- walking) can be beneficial.

My grandma, who lived into her mid 90's moved all day, ate throughout the day and took naps daily.

Jennifer

Possibly. Being fueled properly and taking thyroid has allowed me to do aerobic training daily without triggering a stress response and surprisingly, my recovery is excellent. I have no pain in my body, something I couldn’t say prior to thyroid supplementation and my current diet.

crazypatriot

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

-Socrates

Perry Staltic

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

-Socrates

I'd have to look at the original Greek to believe "amateur" is a proper translation. But the original quote can't be found because:

The origins of this quote are uncertain, and it is possible that it was misattributed to Socrates over time. However, the sentiment expressed in the quote aligns with some of the ideas that Socrates expressed in his dialogues, such as the importance of taking care of one's body and striving for excellence in all aspects of life.
The quotation is apocryphal. The closest thing to it is a passing reference to the military and educational requirements for members of an ideal state (Rep. IV, 416E, 424B), which is itself a subtle satire on the state of Athens under the Tyranny of the Thirty, which martyred Socrates

OP
G

GreekDemiGod

High rep bodyweight squats is but one very effective and time efficient method to build aerobic capacity and develop reasonable muscular strength without imposing high stress wear and tear on the body or joints.
Also incline walking at sufficient speed to demand some effort without transitioning into jogging or running.

I may of course be wrong but I have noticed consistent reduction in quality of life when not doing at least one of these 2 or 3 times a week.

If you know the secret around this reality please share it.
What would you advise to someone with poor aerobic capacity, even when training for it?
I found out that my strength/ gym results were affected by my poor cardio capacity.

Perry Staltic

What would you advise to someone with poor aerobic capacity, even when training for it?
I found out that my strength/ gym results were affected by my poor cardio capacity.

Find something you like to do. Establish a routine that is easy to do. Make that your baseline and make it a habit and never do less. If it's easy to do you won't overdo yourself and burn out, or lose interest, and if it's a habit you will become conditioned to it. As you get bored or feel stronger increase your routine. If you can maintain that easily make that your new baseline; if you can't, fall back to your baseline. Rinse and repeat.

A lot of people may simply be in too poor health for cardio. This is especially true when you are hypothyroid and have very little available energy to begin with. In that state exercise can put you in a dreadful state for hours afterwards as it burns through your glycogen stores and leaves you in a high cortisol slump.

If you are reasonably healthy, you should feel a natural drive to expend energy. Of course, that serves as an excuse to a lot of people like "you can't exercise your way to being healthy, you should only exercise when you feel like it" etc., which may be true to a point, but I believe you should also push yourself if you are reasonably able to do so.

Most of my "cardio" is actually walking, which I do at least 5 kilometers per day, although this isn't really aerobic, because my heart rate definitely isn't very high while doing this, but it serves more of a purpose of getting fresh air and increasing my energy expenditure in a relatively relaxing manner.

However recently I have decided to implement jumping rope again, at no more than twice per week, and slowly pushing up the duration and intensity of the workout. I find that this is good as long as I don't overdo it and have adequate fuel before and after. What I've noticed since doing this is that I have an easier time going up hills when I walk, and climbing stairs etc. (I don't get out of breath as much) indicating better cardiovascular fitness. I think exercise should not be neglected for that reason.

Old Irenaeus

When I have to go somewhere 2 miles away, I walk there at a slow pace and think pleasant thoughts (or try to) along the way.

I'm also a fan of this exercise, which was shared by a famous RPF member:
View: https://youtu.be/MWbSJ2FtE5M

I like to do just the simple version at the beginning for 10-12 minutes while I listen to something.

Sascha6990

Could explosive-style exercises like sprints or jump squats help? I find they are the perfect combination between strength and cardio. Also, what's your definition of "poor cardio capacity"?

BrianF

Heavy hands walking which mimics cross country skiing is great for cardio fitness

OccamzRazer

Good video about cardiovascular risks of excessive endurance training. The take away: Don't run faster than 10km/h and stay under 1 hour, especially if you approach age 45.
A little more complex than that IMO. It's all about not damaging the mitochondria.

If you are super fit from years of pro-mitochondrial-density training then an hour at 10km/h might not be stressful or excessive at all.

Each person's endurance limits are different. Best to 'push' them up gently instead of trying to 'pull' them up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals