Castor Oil for Inducing Labor

HermanAK

My wife is a little over 41 weeks pregnant, and the midwife is getting a bit anxious. It's my wife's worst nightmare to have to give birth in the hospital, but they might send us there if she goes over 42 weeks.

We've heard castor oil is an effective labor inducer, but have some reservations (fatty acid profile, etc). Also pretty resistant to the idea of doing anything to "induce" labor, since it seems like forcing the baby before he's ready.

It's our 1st child--we're pretty confident but also timid of course. Baby seems very healthy, so much movement (really violent kicks, poor mom). Any guidance on labor inducing, castor oil risks, or risks of going really late (like >42 weeks) would be much appreciated!

Peatful

Eating dates may be a first step before castor oil.
Im assuming you already tried exercising (deep squats) and sex as well.

Look up eating dates.
Iirc that may be a good benign route.

It’s possible they may have gotten her delivery date wrong.
Just a hunch.

Sorry about an anxious midwife….

But your baby sounds very healthy.
Her dilation may go from 1 to 6 quickly!
Get ready for the miracle of birth.

Congratulations Dad.

AlaskaJono

My wife is a little over 41 weeks pregnant, and the midwife is getting a bit anxious. It's my wife's worst nightmare to have to give birth in the hospital, but they might send us there if she goes over 42 weeks.

We've heard castor oil is an effective labor inducer, but have some reservations (fatty acid profile, etc). Also pretty resistant to the idea of doing anything to "induce" labor, since it seems like forcing the baby before he's ready.

It's our 1st child--we're pretty confident but also timid of course. Baby seems very healthy, so much movement (really violent kicks, poor mom). Any guidance on labor inducing, castor oil risks, or risks of going really late (like >42 weeks) would be much appreciated!
Very exciting mate. I have helped with about a dozen VERY pregnant women in the same exact situation with acupuncture. It has worked very quickly, so , find an acupuncturist who has experience in your area. They should use the Bai Liao points (Sacral foramena and the usual hand feet points.:):

Also if Mama hasn't had coffee for a while, a half strength or normal strength Latte or mocha can release the baby as in FAST! I have seen that as well.

Good luck! and Breathe.

I'm.No.One

Please don't use castor oil, it will just make her ***t unbearably and typically was used to prevent her from sh***ing during the labor. I.E for the doctors convenience.

Semen/orgasms can induce labor via prostaglandins.

May not be super comfortable for her right now but it worked both times for me.

Also, her body wants to feel super safe/relaxed before it will begin labor naturally.

So, as uncomfortable as she probably is right now, she needs warm foot soaks, zero outside stress allowed, a clean home (without her having to clean it), & just relaxing.

Lastly unless it was a precisely planned pregnancy where she knew the moment her cycle didn't start there's a real possibility she's not as far along as they think. It can be off by up to two weeks, Ina May Gaskin (THE original midwife) goes into this quiet a bit in her work.

Congratulations!

angelina

There are some accupressure points that help to induce labor. Maybe a little massage in those areas might help.

AlaskaJono

@HermanAK, What happened? Please let us know... I do hope all went well for your wife and baby, and you....!!!

Rish

I went to one of the top hospitals in the US and my MD actually recommend it. I was kind of surprised she would since its more holistic. I got the one from CVS and my water did break the next day. It can upset your stomach though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals