Would like input on my supplement regimen please

Kray

I looked back in my emails with Dr. Peat and had asked him whether it was better to take daily or weekly (the latter was suggested in his book From PMS to Menopause). He replied: With the pregnenolone that’s now available, it’s important to test small amounts while watching for reactions, because many people are describing reactions that wouldn’t happen from pure material. I take 70 mg every morning. This article is very good: Progesterone Pregnenolone & DHEA - Three Youth-Associated Hormones
Good to know. I just revisited HN's website and he has quite a comprehensive description of his PREG production, to Peat's point about purity. Wonder how HN's compares to other brands.

I don't know your age or gender, but I'm female in my 60s and read that women actually can benefit from taking more than men, maybe more as we age for both sexes. Not sure why more for women- maybe we have more downstream hormones to work with and convert?

I'm also unsure about need for adding extra sex hormones, such as progesterone or (topical) estrogens. PREG sounds like it can cover all those bases, almost too good to be true, but maybe it is that good. Since it's OTC, maybe Big Pharma/MSM doesn't promote it?

OP
livesimply

livesimply

Good to know. I just revisited HN's website and he has quite a comprehensive description of his PREG production, to Peat's point about purity. Wonder how HN's compares to other brands.

I don't know your age or gender, but I'm female in my 60s and read that women actually can benefit from taking more than men, maybe more as we age for both sexes. Not sure why more for women- maybe we have more downstream hormones to work with and convert?

I'm also unsure about need for adding extra sex hormones, such as progesterone or (topical) estrogens. PREG sounds like it can cover all those bases, almost too good to be true, but maybe it is that good. Since it's OTC, maybe Big Pharma/MSM doesn't promote it?
I will be 69 in September. I had a hysterectomy at age 35 due to severe endometriosis, and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years later. Sadly I was on estrogen-only "therapy" for 13 years until I discovered Ray Peat. So I do take progesterone 3 weeks on/1 week off. and probably will forever.

Kray

I will be 69 in September. I had a hysterectomy at age 35 due to severe endometriosis, and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years later. Sadly I was on estrogen-only "therapy" for 13 years until I discovered Ray Peat. So I do take progesterone 3 weeks on/1 week off. and probably will forever.
Sorry I didn't read your initial post- welcome to the good ol' girls' club!
So happy for you that you were able to improve your health, reduce your weight. It takes dedication and time.

Since we're just about the same age (although I haven't had a hysterectomy) would you mind sharing how you take progesterone, dose, brand, etc? How do you take your PREG, daily or weekly, and how much? As for any estrogen, I assume you don't supplement anymore?

I really would like to try just PREG, nothing else, and give it some time to see how it works for me.

P.S. Will add DHEA to the list above, whether or not you supplement?

Last edited:
OP
livesimply

livesimply

Sorry I didn't read your initial post- welcome to the good ol' girls' club!
So happy for you that you were able to improve your health, reduce your weight. It takes dedication and time.

Since we're just about the same age (although I haven't had a hysterectomy) would you mind sharing how you take progesterone, dose, brand, etc? How do you take your PREG, daily or weekly, and how much? As for any estrogen, I assume you don't supplement anymore?

I really would like to try just PREG, nothing else, and give it some time to see how it works for me.

P.S. Will add DHEA to the list above, whether or not you supplement?
Hi back.

I take:
Health Natura pregnenolone, 70mg every morning
Forefront Health progesterone, ½ dropper (or so) 1st 3 weeks of the month, none last week at bedtime
no estrogen--after reading lots of Peat articles on his website, won't do that again.
no DHEA

Kray

Hi back.

I take:
Forefront Health progesterone, ½ dropper (or so) 1st 3 weeks of the month, none last week at bedtime
no estrogen--after reading lots of Peat articles on his website, won't do that again.
no DHEA
Thanks for that-
Are you feeling pretty good with just those two? I'm doing this on my own but curious, did you have a doctor prescribe these?

OP
livesimply

livesimply

Thanks for that-
Are you feeling pretty good with just those two? I'm doing this on my own but curious, did you have a doctor prescribe these?
Feel generally very good.
On my own with lots of reading, and emails with Ray Peat. :)

Kray

Hi back.

I take:
no DHEA
To clarify, do you take these orally, under tongue, or topically?

OP
livesimply

livesimply

To clarify, do you take these orally, under tongue, or topically?
pregnenolone is powder, I swallow it
progesterone I use the dropper and drop it on my lower gum inside my lip

L_C

So I've been following Ray Peat's wisdom since 2010 (boy I miss him!), although not as strictly as many here. A little background: I am a 68 yo female, had a total hysterectomy at age 35 for severe endometriosis, and was shortly thereafter diagnosed with hypothyroid (Hashi's). Weight went up and down as medications changed, but finally in February 2021 I got my thyroid meds straightened out and lost 70 lbs over 18 months (logged foods on Cronometer, cut out wine, exercised) and feel really good now except for some osteoarthritis in my hands. My diet is good FOR ME ( mainly low PUFA, organic, mostly homemade/very little processed food).

I am mostly a "reader" here on the forum, soaking up the wisdom of others. ;) I would really appreciate input on my supplement regimen below--especially if I should change the timing of any supplements, etc. Please be kind with your criticism.

FYI: I also am following *some* advice of Dr. Gregory Russell-Jones, PhD, biochemist in a few of the supplements I'm taking. I increase/decrease my T3 seasonally.

View attachment 62457
I think it would be a good idea to do mineral analysis (like the haidut's one) to actually see what minerals you might be missing.

OP
livesimply

livesimply

I think it would be a good idea to do mineral analysis (like the haidut's one) to actually see what minerals you might be missing.
great idea. I did a hair analysis a couple years ago. where do I find haidut's?

L_C

great idea. I did a hair analysis a couple years ago. where do I find haidut's?

OP
livesimply

livesimply

Thank you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom