The Stress-Mitochondria Link W/ Dr. Martin Picard & Ari Whitten

Inaut

Fascinating interview about mitochondria from a guy that knows a lot about this subject

“For full transcript go to https://www.theenergyblueprint.com/th...

In this episode, I am speaking with Dr. Martin Picard about how stress affects mitochondrial health. Dr. Picard is an assistant professor of behavioral medicine in Psychiatry and Neurology at Columbia University. He obtained his Ph.D. in mitochondrial biology of aging in 2012. For over a decade, he has been studying mitochondria and has worked closely with leading experts in the field of mitochondrial research. In 2015 he joined the faculty at Columbia University where he established the mitochondrial signaling laboratory. The Stress-Mitochondria Link (And Why Your Mitochondrial Health Is The Secret Key To Energy And Longevity) With Dr. Martin Picard, Ph.D. – Show Notes Mitochondrial Psychobiology explained (1:35) The role of mitochondria in the body (3:03) The importance of mitochondria for health (10:11) The most important factors for mitochondrial health (15:56) Mitochondrial Psychobiology – how stress affects mitochondrial health (21:54) The cell danger response and mitochondrial health (33:22) How our bodies are designed to react to stress and why (39:26) The link between mitochondrial dysfunction and depression and anxiety (44:44)

AriWhittenEnergyBlueprint”

Noodlz2

They talk a lot about how hormesis from exercise and from "feeling hungry" increases the number of mitochondria. Interesting to hear.

OP
Inaut

Inaut

I also liked the part where Picard mentioned the benefits of a ketogenic diet over high calorie diets (rats in cages experiments) could be due simply because of immobility being in a cage. If overfed and not exercised, it’s pretty obvious which diet would be better. Overfeeding is the big problem with diets and not enough movement

Noodlz2

I also liked the part where Picard mentioned the benefits of a ketogenic diet over high calorie diets (rats in cages experiments) could be due simply because of immobility being in a cage. If overfed and not exercised, it’s pretty obvious which diet would be better. Overfeeding is the big problem with diets and not enough movement

Yes, it made Ari rethink his understanding of those kinds of experiments.

Last edited:

lampofred

I think hyperventilation (excess oxygen and low CO2) is the main cause of mitochondrial destruction, along with PUFA, iron, and phosphate. Does the video mention what the rats were being fed? Caloric restriction if it is restricting toxins will increase mitochondria, but there are some foods (like sucrose) that are actually beneficial for mitochondria.

Noodlz2

I think hyperventilation (excess oxygen and low CO2) is the main cause of mitochondrial destruction, along with PUFA, iron, and phosphate. Does the video mention what the rats were being fed? Caloric restriction if it is restricting toxins will increase mitochondria, but there are some foods (like sucrose) that are actually beneficial for mitochondria.

Yeah, that may be the case. As always, there are probably more nuances than we realize.

I wonder if a possible mechanism for "hunger" being helpful is that it can help us pinpoint the exact food that the body needs in the moment. I have to pay attention to see if this is what happens if I don't immediately quell hunger, but I can imagine the possibility that the longer you leave your self hungry, the more targeted your cravings become. If you don't let yourself starve to the point where there is metabolic damage, not immediately satisfying your hunger may lead you to food choices that are ultimately better for you.

Also, a little hunger feels good sometimes.

rei

One of the first things i noticed after starting IF/fasting is that i developed a sense of what macro the body craves. Curiously the craving for sugar came last, weeks after others like starch/protein/fat which were immediately obvious already after first 2 day fast. Might have something to do with the fact i had "pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome" and the liver was just not ready to handle quick bursts of significant amounts of fructose.

Noodlz2

One of the first things i noticed after starting IF/fasting is that i developed a sense of what macro the body craves. Curiously the craving for sugar came last, weeks after others like starch/protein/fat which were immediately obvious already after first 2 day fast. Might have something to do with the fact i had "pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome" and the liver was just not ready to handle quick bursts of significant amounts of fructose.

Interesting observation! I like to think of "not eating" as a viable option to consider along with food consumption. Even if "not eating" means skipping a meal, as long as you're actively choosing to do it because you feel good about it, that should be fine.

Yeah, that may be the case. As always, there are probably more nuances than we realize.

I wonder if a possible mechanism for "hunger" being helpful is that it can help us pinpoint the exact food that the body needs in the moment. I have to pay attention to see if this is what happens if I don't immediately quell hunger, but I can imagine the possibility that the longer you leave your self hungry, the more targeted your cravings become. If you don't let yourself starve to the point where there is metabolic damage, not immediately satisfying your hunger may lead you to food choices that are ultimately better for you.

Also, a little hunger feels good sometimes.

I came to the conclusion that im a wishful Gull and crave KitKat,Pancakes with chocolate cream and other junk consistently,etc.Brain invented useful lie.Enimal in the wild does not engage in junkfood-consumption,because they
are not smart enough to engineer it in the first place.Therefore,appetite is to me only useful in gauging if belly is empty,and
demands junk to be swallowed.Feeling after an meal is already deeper perception and ideology,that is therefore discounted
under the appetite-umbrella.

@Tristan Loscha I follow up till here.

What do you mean by that?

Im also not so sure.With "feeling" i denoted the perception of changing subjective wellbeing,that people confound
with the general notion of "appetite",feeding-time-feeling.
I met people who claimed that the impression of oneself after one meal is their "appetite" and "crave-instinct" speaking,
passing competent judgement.i believe there is no true useful craving,just -THIRSTY!- and -HUNRY!-even for animals who have nothing but their
instinct,they can be changed just by taste-and-smell manipulations.There was a cat which died under his own,
impressive weight.The little Instinct-Craver bulked immensely and dutiful,and his diet was a compound-feed made out of
Hot-Dogs and Beer.
Lots of people also confound already basics like hunger and thirst.
We have to analyse the matrix,there is no shortcut.I cant trust myselph.

Noodlz2

@Tristan Loscha I see what you mean. I've always thought cravings or inclinations were a good signal to follow, but I've noticed recently how dependent my "cravings" are on external reminders. For example, whenever I crave Coke, if I look around my immediate surroundings or think about what I've heard recently (last 5 seconds), there's usually an image or a reference to Coke. I think cravings can be useful, but sometimes, they just reflect what's in your environment. I bet the better your body is, the more "independent" cravings are.

@Tristan Loscha I see what you mean. I've always thought cravings or inclinations were a good signal to follow, but I've noticed recently how dependent my "cravings" are on external reminders. For example, whenever I crave Coke, if I look around my immediate surroundings or think about what I've heard recently (last 5 seconds), there's usually an image or a reference to Coke. I think cravings can be useful, but sometimes, they just reflect what's in your environment. I bet the better your body is, the more "independent" cravings are.

This is very true.
just browsing through grocery-store leaflets is awakening all kinds of funny-tasting-food desires.
I wouldnt hold my breath though in regards to the notion that the healthy bodies know best.
They want to munch on artifical junk just as much like the junkies next door.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals