The Milk cure

Jennifer

Thanks, sounds pretty cool

You’re welcome. :)

I appreciate the detail. Your experience supports my expectations—that it may be a bit of a reset, but probably not a cure for sub-par health. The 2-3 day fast is what I will try first; and only milk.

Funny enough, on the lack of iron aspect, I noticed that Cronometer is showing 14% of RDA for iron with each 8oz serving. So, it would seem iron is covered.

My pleasure. A 2–3 day fast sounds like a good plan. :)

Huh, when I log 8 oz of milk into cronometer, I get 0.1 mg or 0% of the RDA for iron. I drink 3 liters daily and only get 0.9 mg or 5%. I drink cow’s milk, do you drink a different milk?

Mossy

Huh, when I log 8 oz of milk into cronometer, I get 0.1 mg or 0% of the RDA for iron. I drink 3 liters daily and only get 0.9 mg or 5%. I drink cow’s milk, do you drink a different milk?
Ok, now this is a bit confusing. Cronometer is showing 14% per serving, but the nutritional information on the carton is showing 6%. So. a little over a gallon will be needed for100% iron, at 6%.

Attachments

• raw_milk_iron.png
    raw_milk_iron.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
  • raw_milk_iron_2.png
    raw_milk_iron_2.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 12

TradClare

I have done the milk cure for 2 weeks a couple times. I am lucky I can get raw milk for $6/gal (just went up from $4) but it is mostly A1 (I think they have 3:1 Holstein Jersey) Anyway sadly, I get acne pretty bad and lots of stomach gurgling and gas that doesn't resolve. i love milk and have no trouble drinking at least a gallon a day from appetite. I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences with this.

Jennifer

Ok, now this is a bit confusing. Cronometer is showing 14% per serving, but the nutritional information on the carton is showing 6%. So. a little over a gallon will be needed for100% iron, at 6%.

Ah, okay. You’re logging one with a label. I’ve been logging the generic milk because I get my milk direct from the farm. That’s such a big difference in iron content between the two. Maybe pastured milk has more iron?

Mossy

Ah, okay. You’re logging one with a label. I’ve been logging the generic milk because I get my milk direct from the farm. That’s such a big difference in iron content between the two. Maybe pastured milk has more iron?
Yeah, unfortunately, I live in a state where you can't just go to a farm and buy raw milk. My family did when I was a child, but it's no longer allowed. I have to purchase it at a grocery store. It is still raw milk, unpasteurized, just packed and presented like typical milk.

Mossy

I have done the milk cure for 2 weeks a couple times. I am lucky I can get raw milk for $6/gal (just went up from $4) but it is mostly A1 (I think they have 3:1 Holstein Jersey) Anyway sadly, I get acne pretty bad and lots of stomach gurgling and gas that doesn't resolve. i love milk and have no trouble drinking at least a gallon a day from appetite. I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences with this.
You are very fortunate to get it at that price. I'm on my 3rd day, and haven't had any acne issues, but I have had some of the gurgling.

So, nothing worth reporting, in terms of remedied health problems, after the 2 weeks?

TradClare

You are very fortunate to get it at that price. I'm on my 3rd day, and haven't had any acne issues, but I have had some of the gurgling.

So, nothing worth reporting, in terms of remedied health problems, after the 2 weeks?
Not for me, but i have reported on here in other threads that my mom had amazing results years ago lowering her blood pressure. She only did two weeks, and her blood pressure remained low for months afterwards changing nothing else. She could have just done a seasonal milk fast, or even twice a year, but she didn't like drinking so much milk (!?) and ultimately went on medication

Jennifer

Yeah, unfortunately, I live in a state where you can't just go to a farm and buy raw milk. My family did when I was a child, but it's no longer allowed. I have to purchase it at a grocery store. It is still raw milk, unpasteurized, just packed and presented like typical milk.

Actually, I think it’s great that you can buy raw milk retail, since so few of us can. It’s legal to buy retail where I live, too. I only buy direct from the farm because this farm is impeccable and doesn’t sell their products in stores. I’m just wondering if pastured dairy has more iron than conventional. I would think the Raw Farm label is more accurate for pastured dairy than the generic milk on cronometer?

Mossy

Not for me, but i have reported on here in other threads that my mom had amazing results years ago lowering her blood pressure. She only did two weeks, and her blood pressure remained low for months afterwards changing nothing else. She could have just done a seasonal milk fast, or even twice a year, but she didn't like drinking so much milk (!?) and ultimately went on medication
Ok, well that is definitely a success story then, for milk fasting. Thanks for sharing.

Mossy

Actually, I think it’s great that you can buy raw milk retail, since so few of us can. It’s legal to buy retail where I live, too. I only buy direct from the farm because this farm is impeccable and doesn’t sell their products in stores. I’m just wondering if pastured dairy has more iron than conventional. I would think the Raw Farm label is more accurate for pastured dairy than the generic milk on cronometer?
I have to confess, it is convenient to buy it retail and not have to make a special trip. I just hear it's usually cheaper direct from the farm. But, you say you have to pay $17/gallon as well, so it looks like it's not cheaper everywhere.

I see that I misread your previous comment—you wrote pastured, not pasteurized. So you are correct, they do have different iron contents. The pasteurized milk carton in my refrigerator is showing 0% iron per serving. So, the raw milk would have significantly more iron, if drinking milk all day; and probably more than Ray would suggest.

LA

I love whole Milk and probably cannot live without it. I purchase Organic whole milk. When I lived with my parents we were on a Raw Milk kick. I had a dream and told my mom that I was not going to drink anymore raw milk. She and my sister dismissed my worries. I had a teacher (she taught astrology and other things) and she told me to pay attention to my dreams. So I stopped drinking the raw-milk and everyone else got sick. I havent returned to Raw Milk and my husband will only drink Organic milk and refuses to drink raw milk as he says everything is "ify" these days.
We all need to do what we believe is best for our own bodies

Jennifer

I have to confess, it is convenient to buy it retail and not have to make a special trip. I just hear it's usually cheaper direct from the farm. But, you say you have to pay $17/gallon as well, so it looks like it's not cheaper everywhere.

I see that I misread your previous comment—you wrote pastured, not pasteurized. So you are correct, they do have different iron contents. The pasteurized milk carton in my refrigerator is showing 0% iron per serving. So, the raw milk would have significantly more iron, if drinking milk all day; and probably more than Ray would suggest.

Thank you for clarifying. Iron is the one nutrient that always comes up low when I log my food so it’s a relief to know that I’m getting more than I thought, especially on a dairy-based diet. The raw milk that is available to me in stores is actually more expensive purchased at the farm, I figured because the stores receive a discount buying in bulk and pass the savings on to the customers.

sunny

I have a recollection of Ray Peat saying in an interview that a person would eventually become deficient in iron on his way of eating, being heavy in milk and dairy. I cannot remember which interview that was.

Here are some references: type in "milk iron deficiency" in the search bar

AdR

I have a recollection of Ray Peat saying in an interview that a person would eventually become deficient in iron on his way of eating, being heavy in milk and dairy. I cannot remember which interview that was.

Yeah he said milk was nearly a perfect food except that over time you'd become iron deficient if you lived on it exclusively.

Mossy

Thank you for clarifying. Iron is the one nutrient that always comes up low when I log my food so it’s a relief to know that I’m getting more than I thought,
You're welcome. I'm glad you pointed out the difference between the two.

Yeah he said milk was nearly a perfect food except that over time you'd become iron deficient if you lived on it exclusively.
Being that pasteurized, at least from what I'm seeing, is showing no iron within the nutritional content, maybe Ray's comments were based on that. Being that raw does have iron, maybe it is indeed the perfect food. At least in theory; I can say that my 4 days on the milk diet had me in a pretty bad state: coated tongue, digestive distress, constipation. and what I'd call general inflammation. I'm theorizing that that may have been an initial hump I needed to get over; dare I say, the over used explanation that I was detoxing? Since, I've added back in other foods, and most importantly the carrot salad (sans oil), which has gotten things moving again.

If I try this milk diet again, I think I will have to work in some carrots; and salt.

Last edited:

sunny

You're welcome. I'm glad you pointed out the difference between the two.

Being that pasteurized, at least from what I'm seeing, is showing no iron within the nutritional content, maybe Ray's comments were based on that. Being that raw does have iron, maybe it is indeed the perfect food. At least in theory; I can say that my 4 days on the milk diet had me in a pretty bad state: coated tongue, digestive distress, constipation. and what I'd call general inflammation. I'm theorizing that that may have been an initial hump I needed to get over; dare I say, the over used explanation that I was detoxing? Since, I've added back in other foods, and most importantly the carrot salad (sans oil), which has gotten things moving again.

If I try this milk diet again, I think I will have to work in some carrots; and salt.
Have you listened to the interview with jodelle where she talked about it with Ray Peat? It might have already been mentioned.

@Jennifer Maybe there is some truth to the dairy property of being pro IGF1?

Mossy

@sunny, I’m not sure if this is the interview you’re referring to, but in it Ray talked about an all milk diet and mentioned a dog who was put on it after his eye was injured in an attack and his eyeball grew back:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTvB9lDk5PM&t=576s

Interesting. He does mention the detoxing, but he does note that it is an "efficient detoxing". Maybe if I pushed through things would've gotten better. I may try it again sometime soon.

Also interesting, he made no mention of raw milk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals