My appetite is BACK after 4 years! A cocktail of Augmentin + Lactoferrin + Famotidine + S.boulardii cured my mystery gut issues (H. pylori?)

OP
Korven

Korven

Yeah,I've seen Sifo being mentioned a couple of times on Sibo boards.
Ofcourse there are many types of funghi, but I wonder if Sifo is partially just a new trendy marketing name for what once was called Candidiasis/Candida overgrowth, to make a buck of people.

Like you say SIFO is probably more or less synonymous with candida overgrowth, since that is the most common fungal infection in the digestive system. Small intestinal fungal overgrowth - PubMed

On that note I tried treating my mystery gut issues with a variety of antifungals (MSM, undecylenic acid, monolaurin, pau d arco, grapefruit seed extract, allicin, some other expensive stuff I can't remember) but no real lasting results. So for me I think it was definitely bacterial.

Last edited:

maillol

Great to hear! I have some lactoferrin but never really used it. May have to give it another go.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ofcourse there are many types of funghi, but I wonder if Sifo is partially just a new trendy marketing name for what once was called Candidiasis/Candida overgrowth, to make a buck of people.
You’re probably correct. There was I time years ago after being floxed that I had chronic fungal infections but a couple years into Peat those gradually resolved. I didn’t really start the yogurt with SIBO in mind. I just figured I’d try it for the lingering sleep issues and to hopefully help me tolerate more foods again. I’m fine with a diet of primarily animal foods symptom wise but I’d like to be able to tolerate a more mixed diet again long term. Usually after 2-3 months of eating more variety I inevitably fail and have to go back to mostly an animal foods based way of eating so I’m really hoping this works. So far so good.

Ben.

Like you say SIFO is probably more or less synonymous with candida overgrowth, since that is the most common fungal infection in the digestive system. Small intestinal fungal overgrowth - PubMed

On that note I tried treating my mystery gut issues with a variety of antifungals (MSM, undecylenic acid, monolaurin, pau d arco, grapefruit seed extract, allicin, some other expensive stuff I can't remember) but no real lasting results. So for me I think it was definitely bacterial.

may i ask what allicin you tried? im quite amazed by the stabilized version.

ursidae

Wheat messes with me too. I had to start eating it again while on a trip to iceland. The goyslop the agency prepared for us was heavy on pork and wheat. The wheat caused some old pains in the small intestine to return. Went from having no complaints to daily pain, bloating, acne, constipation, flatulence, and tingling histamine sensations in the skin. It took a while to recover.

When I had my colonoscopy in 2020 they tested for celiac and said it was negative. Don't know what kind of test they did though. It's common to have a false negative result for celiac if you have IgA deficiency. I have that primary immunodeficiency (hereditary) and it results in decreased immunity of the mucous membranes- intestinal and sinus infections are common. Your likelihood of having celiac is X10-15 higher if you have IgA deficiency.

Any time I've tried to reintroduce wheat in higher quantities has resulted in distinct types of pain. A burning sensation in the stomach reminiscent of gastritis, a stabbing pain in the small intestine, and then a dull and persistent pain + bloating in the colon.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@ursidae, there are apparently lots of false negatives. It’s my understanding that in adults these days (at least in the US) a blood test for antibodies is enough to get an official diagnosis. Here’s what I get tested periodically to ensure I’m not getting trace amounts of gluten that could wreck my health.
625D52ED-7C02-46D2-BBC6-0DF0BF552B46.jpeg

OP
Korven

Korven

may i ask what allicin you tried? im quite amazed by the stabilized version.

AllicinMAX, it's also a patented form of stabilized allicin I believe. I'm sure its actually pretty good for SIBO and such but for whatever reason it didn't help me.

I have a ridiculously long list of supplements (130+) I've tried and augmentin so far has been the best thing I've tried for fixing my digestion (more specifically loss of appetite). The reason why it took me so long to try prescription antibiotics on my own was being scared of C. diff and other bad side effects. That is another reason why I included both lactoferrin and S. boulardii, to prevent C difficile infection.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Also I didn’t personally care about an official diagnosis but did it for peace in my family because most of them thought I was a crazy hypochondriac with an eating disorder to boot!

OP
Korven

Korven

Any time I've tried to reintroduce wheat in higher quantities has resulted in distinct types of pain. A burning sensation in the stomach reminiscent of gastritis, a stabbing pain in the small intestine, and then a dull and persistent pain + bloating in the colon.

I also get sharp stabby-knife pain in my colon from wheat, on multiple occasions before it felt like my appendix had ruptured. Though I still can't decide if GF oatmeal is okay for me to eat...

frannybananny

People on various forums have had success eliminating Candida by taking Artemesinin Annua, Sweet Wormwood. I am ready to give that a try to reduce bloating.

Dutchie

You’re probably correct. There was I time years ago after being floxed that I had chronic fungal infections but a couple years into Peat those gradually resolved. I didn’t really start the yogurt with SIBO in mind. I just figured I’d try it for the lingering sleep issues and to hopefully help me tolerate more foods again. I’m fine with a diet of primarily animal foods symptom wise but I’d like to be able to tolerate a more mixed diet again long term. Usually after 2-3 months of eating more variety I inevitably fail and have to go back to mostly an animal foods based way of eating so I’m really hoping this works. So far so good.
Sorry to hear you're experiencing sleep issues.
At the height of whatever was/is going on digestivewise,last year and beginning of this year, I had difficulty falling asleep. It was very strange, I felt tired but I just couldn't doze off into a state of sleep. I would lay awake until at least 2pm every night no matter what I did.
Then the past couple of months it has resolved *knock on wood*, so I hope my body is healing whatever was/is going on.
I think it was gut related, so I hope the yoghurt is going to help you to get your sleep back.

Razvan

Happy for you @Korven ! Hopefully still dodging the deadly undigestable starch, no starch, raw buttermilk and ayran, carrots, lemon juice, b3+ MB gives me the best gut.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Dutchie, I’m really glad your sleep is getting better. Mine is a lot better too but I’m aiming for optimal! It ramped up after doing 4 months of night shift work at the end of 2019 which also messed up my gut. :/

ursidae

I also get sharp stabby-knife pain in my colon from wheat, on multiple occasions before it felt like my appendix had ruptured. Though I still can't decide if GF oatmeal is okay for me to eat..
Oats are high in phosphate and phytic acid, so not the best for teeth and have seed storage proteins similar to but not as plentiful and immunogenic as gluten that are hard to break down due to proline-glutamine rich regions. Sprouting likely transforms those proteins, some people here have reported success with sprouted oats.

Oatmeal is okay for me personally (I don't crave it every day; more like 1-2 a week) but only a certain type of fine organic GF flakes and boiled for a long time. These ones (brand is "bett'r") taste and smell distinctly different from the rest, it's a pleasant scent. Perhaps they've been processed differently, mold contamination is a big problem for grains, especially wheat. Regular whole rolled oats cause pain.

Dutchie

@Dutchie, I’m really glad your sleep is getting better. Mine is a lot better too but I’m aiming for optimal! It ramped up after doing 4 months of night shift work at the end of 2019 which also messed up my gut. :/
Ah yes, I've heard of several nightshift workers complain about having sleep difficulties.
No doubt, gut issues are a factor in this but I would also assume a disrupted circadian rhytmn.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Dutchie, definitely. There are multiple variables to my sleep issues and slowly but surely I’m working it out.

charlie_

Do not overlook getting the room temperature down in the low 60's for deep sleep. This can make a profound difference.

Hermes

@Blossom
Apart from the SIBO yoghurt you mentioned, what else has had a big impact on your sleep? I've also read about your great success with Rapamycin.

Hermes

Do not overlook getting the room temperature down in the low 60's for deep sleep. This can make a profound difference.
You're so right, but it's a challenge to cool my room, which is right under the roof, the living room gets up to 95. My sleep has really taken a nosedive lately, like not being able to fall asleep until 4am, sometimes 6am. It's exhausting to have such an erratic sleep schedule.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Hermes, managing stress to the best of my ability, spending time outdoors in natural light, blocking blue light in the evening, walking/some type of enjoyable movement and breath work all seem important. I’ve also been taking a Theanine/GABA combination supplement and glycine before bed lately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom