Kayne on Tucker. Fox News. White Lives Matter T-shirt and More

tankasnowgod

Curious which version of the Bible are you reading?
It's the NIV. I had a "New Living Translation" version for the New Testament.

But, the story of the plagues should be fairly consisted among different versions. I looked up the tragic vow of Jepthath in many versions (including King James and Darby), and it looks like he sacrificed his daughter in all of them. You can check different versions here-

Reading the New Testament, I really liked the teachings and actions of Jesus. He is objectively a great hero, and has some excellent teachings and morals. But going through the old, there are many times I have wondered "Am I seriously reading the right book here?"

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
"New Living Translation"
KJV is our best translation right now unless you want to go back to the original manuscripts. Learning with a good biblical scholar is optimal, that way you can obtain the tools and wisdom on how to dig deeper, kinda like how Peat gave us the tools to dig deeper with understanding.

Perry Staltic

But, the story of the plagues should be fairly consisted among different versions. I looked up the tragic vow of Jepthath in many versions (including King James and Darby), and it looks like he sacrificed his daughter in all of them. You can check different versions here-

It's really inconceivable that she was physically sacrificed. A substitute was likely offered and she was offered to God as a perpetual virgin, which back then was a horrible fate for a family

Perry Staltic

KJV is our best translation right now unless you want to go back to the original manuscripts. Learning with a good biblical scholar is optimal, that way you can obtain the tools and wisdom on how to dig deeper, kinda like how Peat gave us the tools to dig deeper with understanding.

Here are two great tools.

tankasnowgod

It's really inconceivable that she was physically sacrificed. A substitute was likely offered and she was offered to God as a perpetual virgin, which back then was a horrible fate for a family
Judges 11:31, from the KJV-

Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

Judges 11:34-

And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

Judges 11:35-

And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

Judges 11:39-

And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

I've read it in several versions. How is there another way to read it?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Here are two great tools.

Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.

And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

This link below should help, you really need to get with a great bible scholar. Father said he would send Great Teachers. Roger Christopherson studied under the great scholar I am talking about.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Bullingers companion bible, Strongs Concordance(must be published before a certain year, cant remember offhand), and a great teacher will open the Scriptures up like none other. It's a true site to behold.

Perry Staltic

Adam Clarke's Commentary has an explanation that is too long to post here, but you can read it under Judges 11:31 and 11:40 at this link

@tankasnowgod --you said--But it wasn't the murder of the Egyptian in Exodus 2:12 that kept Moses out of the promised land. Moses gets to be a chosen leader and stay with the lord on Mt. Sinai for 40 days and deliver the Commandments AFTER that murder. It was dishonoring the Lord when Moses and Aaron brought out water from a rock in Numbers 20:12 that kept him from the promised land.

Yes that is what I was saying. I just didn't explain why Moses wasn't allowed into the promised land. What does God do to Moses for the murder of the Egyptian? Perhaps the 40 years of him running away-- and probably feeling the guilt all that time --before the burning bush. Maybe it wasn't premediated murder, but an accident in the passion for sticking up for his fellow Hebrew brother. God is just so I am sure Moses got what was coming however God meted that out. The bible doesn't explain everything unfortunately.
So glad people chimed in! thanks all!

Which "God" are we talking about, here? Because the God (or Elohim or Jehovah/Yehovah) in the Old Testament does some pretty horrid and unperfect things, at least in this mortal's view.

Take all the plagues he sends down to Egypt, starting in Exodus Chapter 7. First off, the Lord tells Moses that he will "harden Pharoh's heart" (Exodus 7:3), so that the Lord can send many plagues, causing all sorts of death and damage to the people of Egypt, including killing off livestock and children (the firstborn of the Egyptians).

Why would he do that? If we are talking about an all powerful, all knowing, all present god here, why not just change Pharoh's mind, and let the Israelites go to worship the Lord in the desert? Why does the Lord have to wreak all this havoc on the innocent? Or, why couldn't the Lord conjure up some gold and silver as a ransom for the Israelites? Or, teleport them out of Egypt like they do on Star Trek? Or, why not focus his anger and range on Pharoh alone? Why not strike him down with a Lightning bolt? Or a heart attack? Or have the roof cave in on him?

Having read the New Testament, and about half of the Old (reading it now), I don't think the God or Father than Jesus speaks of is the same the God (or Elohim or Jehovah) in the Old Testament. Of course, I know I am not the first to think this.

Hmm...I hear you. I also get that feeling that God seems so much harsher in the Old Testament. Maybe you can offer some specifics that elucidate the inconsistencies?
edit: sorry I know you have already, i am reading through what you wrote again

as far as why would God affect Egypt the way he did...God was showing an entire pagan culture who He is and that He alone is God.
In a similar way God also showed himself more powerful than Baal when Elijah called for it to not rain for 3.5 years, when the currently worshipped Baal was "god of the weather" ...it showed that these false gods were no match for Him, and that God was the real God of the weather etc.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes that is what I was saying. I just didn't explain why Moses wasn't allowed into the promised land.
Moses disobeyed God by hitting the rock the second time, God had commanded him to speak to the rock. This was his downfall, not trusting God and trusting himself instead. It was in a public setting, and Moses literally desecrated Gods name in front of everyone, when it was time for Gods Glory to Shine. Moses did not believe God would get it done, so he tried to do it under his own power. Big mistake.

Moses disobeyed God by hitting the rock the second time, God had commanded him to speak to the rock. This was his downfall, not trusting God and trusting himself instead. It was in a public setting, and Moses literally desecrated Gods name in front of everyone. Moses did not believe God would get it done, so he tried to do it under his own power. Big mistake.
You know, this is actually a comforting part of the bible to me, it gives me the permission to not solve every problem myself, and let God take care of it.

Bullingers companion bible, Strongs Concordance(must be published before a certain year, cant remember offhand), and a great teacher will open the Scriptures up like none other. It's a true site to behold.
why is this? I had a strong's once...was thinking of getting another

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Because the ******* got a hold of it and changed some very important translations that literally lead most everyone right into satans hands.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is the one you want:
1980 Abingdon's STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE OF THE BIBLE

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Lollipop2

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back