How Much Time For InfraRed Light Dosing

x-ray peat

I just bought the CMvison 850 IR light and was wondering how long I should use it on different parts of my body. I have no idea what the power density is (mW/cm2). The light says it has 114pcs ¢8-14μ IR LED , Supports 12V DC input voltage . If that helps anyone. Short of buying an expensive IR light meter, how long should I use it.

I have kept the glass cover on and been limiting it to 1x day for about a minute on knees, hands, scalp, shoulder, and back. It seems to be working as minor aches and pains in these areas are getting better.

Is there a general rule of thumb I should use.

CMVision CM-IR110 114 LEDS 200-300ft Long Range IR Illuminator
Amazon.com : CMVision IR110 - 114 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 200-300ft IR Illuminator With Free 2A 12VDC Adaptor : Infrared Motion Detectors : Camera & Photo

encerent

Touching the diodes, power meter reads about 70 mW/cm2.

The grow lamps touching can get up to 300 mW/cm2. That's why I never touch those.

Last edited:
OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I looked into it a bit. Ive read that normal light meters are calibrated for the solar spectrum and don't give the correct measurement for an IR source. Also many light meters have an IR filter. IR meters can cost $500-1,000 but Ive seen a diy hack on a normal light meter that I may look into.
this goes into it A True IR Meter

But thanks for the measurements anyway because at least its a starting point

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Touching the diodes, power meter reads about 70 mW/cm2.

The grow lamps touching can get up to 300 mW/cm2. That's why I never touch those.
How long are you using the CR 114? I think you said you took the glass off and are using it right on you skin.

encerent

I don't have that exact one, but a similar one and a much more powerful one.

I went by this little guide on the rlm website:

With this light roughly 10cm away from the body, the following application times give an ideal light therapy dose (1-6J/cm²) in that area:

• Skin – 20 seconds
  • Hair – 30 seconds
  • Fat – 160 seconds
  • Thyroid – 250 seconds
  • Muscles – 260 seconds
  • Brain – 300 seconds

EIRE24

With this light roughly 10cm away from the body, the following application times give an ideal light therapy dose (1-6J/cm²) in that area:

• Skin – 20 seconds
  • Hair – 30 seconds
  • Fat – 160 seconds
  • Thyroid – 250 seconds
  • Muscles – 260 seconds
  • Brain – 300 seconds
You do it for this short a time? I usually turn on my 250W red lamp and could sit in front of it for easily 10 minutes? I'm now wondering am I over doing it?

sladerunner69

I just bought the CMvison 850 IR light and was wondering how long I should use it on different parts of my body. I have no idea what the power density is (mW/cm2). The light says it has 114pcs ¢8-14μ IR LED , Supports 12V DC input voltage . If that helps anyone. Short of buying an expensive IR light meter, how long should I use it.

I have kept the glass cover on and been limiting it to 1x day for about a minute on knees, hands, scalp, shoulder, and back. It seems to be working as minor aches and pains in these areas are getting better.

Is there a general rule of thumb I should use.

CMVision CM-IR110 114 LEDS 200-300ft Long Range IR Illuminator
Amazon.com : CMVision IR110 - 114 LED Indoor/Outdoor Long Range 200-300ft IR Illuminator With Free 2A 12VDC Adaptor : Infrared Motion Detectors : Camera & Photo

You didnt mention the watttage... and in general infared is not as beneficial as visible bright light so you are beyond Peatlandi with this one. 850nm seems too high to me...

EIRE24

You didnt mention the watttage... and in general infared is not as beneficial as visible bright light so you are beyond Peatlandi with this one. 850nm seems too high to me...
What would be a good time for someone with a 250W red lamp?

encerent

You do it for this short a time? I usually turn on my 250W red lamp and could sit in front of it for easily 10 minutes? I'm now wondering am I over doing it?

You're not overdoing it. the 250watt incandescent is a completely different thing.

Plus the thing I posted said 10cm away. You wouldn't be able to stand the heat lamp that close for that long.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

• Skin – 20 seconds
  • Hair – 30 seconds
  • Fat – 160 seconds
  • Thyroid – 250 seconds
  • Muscles – 260 seconds
  • Brain – 300 seconds
Thanks. That helpful and Ill try and prorate to my smaller less powerful device. The redlightman's infrared device light power density is
  • 1200 mW/cm² density
  • 200 mW/cm² @10cm
Though I wonder if they used an IR lightmeter or a regular one.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Unfortunately the device doesn't give the wattage. Infrared and redlight are used for different treatments. Redlight doesn't penetrate as deep into the tissue so I think is better for skin and hair. IR is better for deep tissue like muscle aches and thyroid.

edit: I just found some more specs and it says power consumption is 9W. I am not sure how to get a power density from that though.
Also it lists the LEDs as Φ8. Not sure how to use that but the symbol is capital Phi and can stand for magnetic flux.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

What would be a good time for someone with a 250W red lamp?

Ray Peat has given advice to someone and said someone could set up a 250w bright incadescent and be under it for as long as they want with no negative effects, besides a powerful increaswe to the metabolism. So just be sure to get enough nutrients including sugars and you should be fine. I have a 250w red lght as well and I use it for an hour at a time, but I think any more and it makes my eyes hurt or gives me a ehadache. Ray Peat has said he prefers white light to red light because the red ones give him a headache. But I am fine if its not in my eyes. If Im looking towards the light, I'll only use it for 30 minute max.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I had a 250 W heat lamp as well and it hurt my eyes too. I switched to a GE 300W clear incandescent and no eye problems. The amount of good redlight/near Infra red is higher in the incandescent. Also the heat lamp may give off more far infrared than you want. Some people have mentioned that there are downsides to too much of the far and medium IR.
k-heelspurs2.gif

Last edited:

EIRE24

Ray Peat has given advice to someone and said someone could set up a 250w bright incadescent and be under it for as long as they want with no negative effects, besides a powerful increaswe to the metabolism. So just be sure to get enough nutrients including sugars and you should be fine. I have a 250w red lght as well and I use it for an hour at a time, but I think any more and it makes my eyes hurt or gives me a ehadache. Ray Peat has said he prefers white light to red light because the red ones give him a headache. But I am fine if its not in my eyes. If Im looking towards the light, I'll only use it for 30 minute max.
Yes I have got that head ache before too. Does your lamp get heated too, as in the lamp gives off a considerably amount of heat after time?

sladerunner69

Yes I have got that head ache before too. Does your lamp get heated too, as in the lamp gives off a considerably amount of heat after time?

No not since I bought the ruby lux. It is jsut a little warm. When I tried using an orange heat lamp I bought at the hardware store, it was too hot and not very bright. Are you sure yours is not a heat/brooder lamp?

EIRE24

No not since I bought the ruby lux. It is jsut a little warm. When I tried using an orange heat lamp I bought at the hardware store, it was too hot and not very bright. Are you sure yours is not a heat/brooder lamp?
It could be, I'm not 100% sure. Are they useless? It says 250W bulb on the actual bulb

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom