German Doctor Treats MS With Low PUFA Diet (Stops Disease In 84% Of Patients)

Chris1

What are the staples/best food to eat on a low PUFA diet.

What are some high calorie low PUFA foods?

yerrag

What are the staples/best food to eat on a low PUFA diet.

What are some high calorie low PUFA foods?
Avoid all isolated PUFA oils such as corn, soya, and canola. Avoid pork lard. Use butter, refined or hydrogenated coconut oil. Beef tallow is fine. These are used for cooking. If you cook your own food, you can control intakes of such oil. If you eat out, you can't. Eating out regularly means you're getting exposed to PUFA intakes.

Doritos and similar snacks are all made using PUFAs, unless otherwise specified. Read the labels. Same thing with many sauces. Same with many canned goods.

Chris1

Thanks. I'm more interested in healthy low PUFA foods, not doritos and things of that nature.

I cook 90% of my own food, butter is low PUFA? Surprising

So fruits and veg and leans meats? What else

Richiebogie

Hi @Jam.

Do you eat that same diet every day?

If so, do you ever get cravings for vitamin k foods or folate foods?

Eg. I read that insufficient folate may cause grey hair!

Jam

Hi @Jam.

Do you eat that same diet every day?

Howdy! No, I have a fairly varied diet, never eating the same thing more than twice a week or so, besides milk and fruit.

If so, do you ever get cravings for vitamin k foods or folate foods?

I don't eat enormous quantities of vegetables, but I do eat the stuff atleast 3x a week and get enough K2 from butter and cheese.

As for folate, getting enough is a bit tricky, but I do get a fair bit from weekly liver (8-10 oz) and some legumes (mainly lentils and chick peas) about 1x week.

Eg. I read that insufficient folate may cause grey hair!

Could be. I'm 48 and don't have a lot of gray hairs on my head, but do have a fair bit in my beard, especially around the chin area.

Salome

And this is where the modern food industry f**cks you over. Unless you can prepare every meal yourself avoiding PUFA's is going to be like climbing a mountain. When you have lobbyists for sugar and fat industries, as in most things money 'talks', to the detriment of most populations.
In the 1950's morbidities were a lot less than now, because family life was different socially, but hey life gets better for each subsequent generation(~)
It's honestly not that hard. If you eat regular whole foods staying under 4g is not much of a challenge. Who craves PUFA? I have never had a craving for fat at all lol. I guess if you are addicted to doritos and other junk food it might be hard to give that up?

jet9

Found some more info on his website about the protocol: Ernährung bei MS (it's in german, you can google translate it).

Diet consists of fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrate (no whole grains due to PUFA content), fish, occasional lean meats, lean dairy. No foods high in linoleic acid allowed e.g nuts, oils, fatty animal products.

I must say I'm pretty impressed with the results of just cutting out linoleic acid. Many patients are even seeing remyelination. Pasta, gluten, dairy, nightshades etc still allowed, just needs to be low in PUFA.

However he does recommend omega-3 supplements which Ray Peat obviously isn't a fan of. I do wonder whether there's a possible net benefit to very low dietary omega-6 (1-2 grams) together with some omega-3 to further displace/compete with arachidonic acid in cell membranes, shift from PGE2 to PGE3 and the other 3 series prostaglandins. Especially for inflammatory and autoimmune conditions...

He's been doing this since the 90's and seems pretty clued in on dangers of excess PUFA/AA:

"The causes of inflammation are very diverse and the forms of inflammation differ. In one point, however, all inflammations are the same, they need a fuel: the highly unsaturated arachidonic acid."

I don't have MS but struggle with some sort of chronic inflammatory condition/CFS/PEM and feeling like crap many days.

Currently eating mostly beef, rice, beans, some fruits and vegetables = PUFA count at 3 grams per day! Will be more consistent with taking B-vitamins, vitamin E, selenium.
Thanks for share!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals