Florida: What's going on. A thread for news updates.

Perry Staltic

Yesterday, HB 7021 — the bill that would continue to shield hospitals from legal liability for injuries to Covid patients — was tabled, but only to allow the House to substitute the Senate’s version, SB 7014. This is an elegant parliamentary trick; it avoids the final lawmaking step where the two bills — the House version and the Senate version — have to be reconciled with each other. I have been told by insiders that it will be read for the third and final time today at noon and passed.

I got hold of the internal briefing sheet for the bill that was provided to legislators. It is profoundly deceptive, a puff piece that describes the bill as helping PATIENTS and citizens instead of hospitals. So most legislators probably aren’t even aware how awful this bill is. It’s a stinker.

The “staff analysis” prepared for every bill is a deeper dive for lawmakers who have enough time to dig in. The staff analysis for this bill acknowledges that the liability shield is only available for “substantial compliance with government-issued health standards specifically relating to COVID-19 or other relevant standards.” And that’s the problem. That requirement locks hospitals into the antiquated remdesivir/ventilator treatment protocol and wipes out doctor independence.

This really is a defining moment for DeSantis; it's his golden opportunity to drive a dagger into the heart of the beast by vetoing the bill. Hospitals don't need immunity if their treatments are so good, and if they're not so good, Floridians need the right to be treated as they see fit.

OP
B

Birdie

Thanks. I've sent this to people who know people in Florida asking them to send it on.

If Mike Yeadon is in Florida, maybe he'll be on this. What about the new FL Surgeon General? You would think wouldn't you that he'd speak out. Telling if he doesn't.

OP
B

Birdie

? *COVID IN FLORIDA AND ALACHUA COUNTY* ?​

The new weekly report shows Biden’s new push to “improve” hospitalization figures seems to be working; national hospitalizations plunged by about 30% since last week. Florida likewise shows falling numbers in every single category except R-naught. Our positivity rate is now down in normal ranges at 14.3%. Cases are about equal to the first real week of Omicron.

The trend in increasing R-naught over the last three weeks could just be the figure bouncing around inside a range, or it could reflect changing testing policies as schools and businesses relax requirements for negative tests.

OP
B

Birdie

Another Florida news event from Jeff Childers' newsletter today:

? In festive news for theme park fans everywhere, Universal Orlando announced this week that the resort will no longer require fully vaccinated guests to wear face coverings anywhere, indoor or outdoor, effective today (Saturday, February 12). The change is really an end to ALL park mandates, for everybody, because Universal does not require proof of vaccination, which would be needed to enforce mask mandates on unjabbed people, and the announcement only says it will “encourage” — not require — uninjected park-goers to wear masks.

What do you want to bet this will work out the EXACT OPPOSITE? Meaning, anyone you see at Universal wearing a mask will be vaccinated, and all the ones showing their faces will be the unjabbed. Isn’t that funny? They should just change the signs to say “VACCINATED people are encouraged to wear masks” but that would trigger Karen. And then she’d have to pull her mask down to ask for the manager. No bueno.

I think that Universal, home of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is the first major theme park to effectively lift all Covid restrictions. So.

OP
B

Birdie

? We now have a petition web site calling for Governor DeSantis to veto HB7021. It just takes a couple clicks to send an email: [Please Veto HB7021 (Codifies the Fauci Death Protocol), Gov DeSantis! - Take Action For Freedom](https://takeactionforfreedom.com/desantis-hb7021/). You know what to do.

OP
B

Birdie

From Jeff Childers today:

? SB 7014/HB 7021 — the bill extending Covid liability immunity for hospitals for another eighteen months — has reached the governor’s desk. Now, the governor must veto the bill or it will become law in a matter of days, even without his signature. The Epoch Times covered the story yesterday:

[Floridians Demand DeSantis Veto Bill Extending Immunity to Hospitals Treating COVID-19 Patients](https://link.theepochtimes.com/mkt_app/floridians-demand-desantis-veto-bill-extending-near-immunity-to-hospitals-treating-covid-19-patients_4280739.html)

I understand that this article was the second-most-viewed story on The Epoch Times’ website yesterday. So!

OP
B

Birdie

? Yesterday, Governor DeSantis tweeted support for employees forced to wear masks on the job:

Twitter avatar for @GovRonDeSantisRon DeSantis @GovRonDeSantis
Too many businesses, particularly corporate chains, force their employees to wear masks all day. This is unfair to the employees, who should have the same choices as everyone else. It's past time for these workers to be liberated from corporate forced masking policies.

February 20th 2022
5,804 Retweets27,735 Likes

Unmask the workers! It’s yet another example of how Democrats have gone to war against the so-called blue-collar working class. Who or what exactly is their base supposed to be any more?

OP
B

Birdie

From Jeff Childers' newsletter today:

? *COVID IN FLORIDA AND ALACHUA COUNTY* ?​

Another great weekly report for Florida as the Omicron wave finishes up right on time for the you-know-what next week.

Positivity: down to 8.2% from 14.3% last week.

Cases: down to 42,473 from 103,022 last week.

Death Reports: down to 161 from 195 last week.

R-naught: down to 0.50 from 0.56 last week.

Hospitalizations: down to 4,321 from 6,301 last week.

Cases per 100K: down to 193.3 from 468.8 last week.

First-time Jabs: down to 16,036 from 21,557 last week.

OP
B

Birdie

Today, Feb 23 RE: The Veto won't happen.

? Yesterday, the Governor’s office called me twice to discuss HB 7021. One comment was “there has been an impressive amount of contact from people mentioning your blog.” You guys did SO great. I am so proud of all of you, our vast army of passionate, caffeine-addicted freedom-lovers. It’s working.

The upshot of the calls was that the governor doesn’t seem inclined to veto, fearing that any hospitals that do relax Covid mandates will instantly become litigation targets absent the shield. Maybe. The news from Canada today suggests they might be right. Instead, according to the officials I spoke to, the governor’s office is pursuing a “third way” to solve the problem, through publication of effective treatment protocols superior to the CDC’s remdesivir/ventilator combination. If so, that would be similar to a “third way” approach I drafted as a proposed compromise bill, which would have retained short-term liability protection but ALSO provided patient protections.

Since hospitals only get liability protection when they follow “government published” treatment standards, they are legally locked into the CDC’s deadly remdesivir/ventilator combination. But, if Florida publishes our own treatment standards, and if those standards include things like permission to use off-label drug when doctors think it’s appropriate, then hospitals would have to consider those new “government standards” as well. It could move the needle, depending on how well it’s executed.

One of the things I had added to my draft compromise bill was a requirement that hospitals put their Covid treatment protocols on their websites, so patients can have informed choice. That’s something AHCA could do very quickly. I hope they do it.

Anyway, I was clear on the calls that what we want is hospitals to immediately stop killing people using outdated and ineffective federal treatment protocols. The folks I spoke to seemed to understand. Bottom line, it doesn’t look like a veto is in the cards. So we’ll have to see what those new standards look like, and we need to see them quickly.

OP
B

Birdie

? Dr. Joe Ladapo — a Harvard-trained doctor and a member of the Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) — was officially confirmed in Florida’s Senate two days ago. Liberal media in Florida are feeling very triggered and hysterical about it; I mean, Dr. Ladapo never even talks about EQUITY. How can that be science?

? Even though I already knew the Governor planned to sign HB 7021 yesterday, it was still a gut punch when I heard it had happened. While I rationally understand the political and practical justifications, and even though I recognize the record-shattering nature of what DeSantis did first, emotionally I still felt white-hot outrage knowing that corporate hospitals would receive any benefit of any kind at this point. It stinks.

Peatful

OP
B

Birdie

+1

Confused?

Shaking my head....
If you go to the article, then it'll at least make more sense. I'm still pissed but I almost see that he had no choice and some good here:

Anyway, early yesterday afternoon, the governor’s office announced the name of the new program, and it is an epic grandmaster-level media troll: “Buck the CDC!” That’s right, buck it. I can’t wait for all the outraged reporters to start yammering about how disrespectful and unprofessional the name is.

In a Rumble video, Governor DeSantis and Dr. Ladapo announce a group of new health policies in three parts: (1) encouraging employee mask choice; (2) limiting quarantine periods for kids and workers to five days regardless of their testing status; and — the part we’re interested in — (3) promoting effective, “evidence-based” treatment for Covid including off-label drugs. Governor DeSantis explained the new Covid protocols in an introduction that was pregnant with possibilities:

“The other thing that we’ve updated is some of the treatment protocols that have been out there. If you take a look at Fauci, what he puts out, what he says you can do, he’s been very negative on a lot of treatments that have actually shown positive results. And so what Dr. Ladapo has done is made sure that practitioners understand that they have the flexibility, and they can use their judgment, to use off-label products in order to treat Covid-19.”

OP
B

Birdie

I'm no expert on this but it looks to me like the hospitals must follow the CDC guidelines or face lawsuits.

Peatful

If you go to the article, then it'll at least make more sense. I'm still pissed but I almost see that he had no choice and some good here:

Anyway, early yesterday afternoon, the governor’s office announced the name of the new program, and it is an epic grandmaster-level media troll: “Buck the CDC!” That’s right, buck it. I can’t wait for all the outraged reporters to start yammering about how disrespectful and unprofessional the name is.

In a Rumble video, Governor DeSantis and Dr. Ladapo announce a group of new health policies in three parts: (1) encouraging employee mask choice; (2) limiting quarantine periods for kids and workers to five days regardless of their testing status; and — the part we’re interested in — (3) promoting effective, “evidence-based” treatment for Covid including off-label drugs. Governor DeSantis explained the new Covid protocols in an introduction that was pregnant with possibilities:
Thank you @Birdie

Will read tonight in full

@shanny
This is a good thread

sweetpeat

I'm no expert on this but it looks to me like the hospitals must follow the CDC guidelines or face lawsuits.
Don't they also face lawsuits from people who want to be treated with non-CDC guidelines? Like with ivermectin for instance. I've heard of families suing for alternative treatments, but maybe those are few and far between.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom