Blackstrap molasses has 20/1 Ca/P ratio, 100% rda Mg per 100g and many other nutrients, and its dirt cheap!

DonLore

Seriously, why isnt this talked more? Magnesium is so hard to get enough, this has huge amount of magnesium and 1g calcium per 100g, + manganese, B6 and lots of calories. You get your calcium to phosfate ratio sky high and lots of sugars for 0.2 euros a day

Dutchie

Back in the day I used to make a kind of soysauce substitute with blackstrap molasses.
Just dilute some with water and add lots of salt to your liking.

OP
D

DonLore

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zegS9lSYteg

Could have. So could anything. I dont see a reason why molasses would be that much higher on heavy metals than any other food, supplement and especially pharma drugs. I think the benefits of molasses far outweigh the little risk of small amounts of heavy metals. They say juice has heavy metals, tap water has heavy metals, etc

Jayvee

Could have. So could anything. I dont see a reason why molasses would be that much higher on heavy metals than any other food, supplement and especially pharma drugs. I think the benefits of molasses far outweigh the little risk of small amounts of heavy metals. They say juice has heavy metals, tap water has heavy metals, etc

I eat maple syrup with no issues so I dont take this information religiously, their is no such thing as the perfect food. I think it's just to not use as a main carb source if/when there are cleaner options available. This is obviously circumstantial though, if you can find a clean source or if you are on a budget it's probably far from the worse option. As you say, its nutritional value is pretty good so I'd maybe include it in the diet but maybe not go overboard with it.

OP
D

DonLore

I eat maple syrup with no issues so I dont take this information religiously, their is no such thing as the perfect food. I think it's just to not use as a main carb source if/when there are cleaner options available. This is obviously circumstantial though, if you can find a clean source or if you are on a budget it's probably far from the worse option. As you say, its nutritional value is pretty good so I'd maybe include it in the diet but maybe not go overboard with it.
I havent been able to find good dietary Mg source, cacao is ok but I dont know if its very bioavailable since cacao has phytates etc. But yes you are right, its a matter of weighing the positives and negatives. Too bad there isnt enough info on many foods, so you just gotta see if you react well or bad to something. I have to think that 50g of molasses is better than 95% of the foods people eat in modern countries. So far it seems I have no allergic reactions or anything, so I will keep it as one of the carb sources as long as no problem arises

Nomane Euger

I havent been able to find good dietary Mg source, cacao is ok but I dont know if its very bioavailable since cacao has phytates etc. But yes you are right, its a matter of weighing the positives and negatives. Too bad there isnt enough info on many foods, so you just gotta see if you react well or bad to something. I have to think that 50g of molasses is better than 95% of the foods people eat in modern countries. So far it seems I have no allergic reactions or anything, so I will keep it as one of the carb sources as long as no problem arises
hi,i have seen data in the past that claimed that beef tripes that were analysed had a very high amount of manganese,i have not tryed it.coconut water in theory has a high amount,and it make me feel awesome,and after it sugar/honey taste intensly good and make me feel great

IVILA

I try to have a tbsp per day. It has everything you need, however also has a lot of iron so got to be careful.

76er

Yeah, blackstrap is the ultimate liquid multi-mineral.

I've been doing ~50g per day for the last ~5 months.

I put it in my daily 3x lattes. I do at least 25g of maple syrup in each to help smooth out blackstrap molasses aftertaste and
I dare say that they actually taste good together.

In total I do about ~100g of maple syrup and ~50g. These two form a total daily mineral powerhouse. Bye-bye calcium and mag supps.
Like OP said crazy calcium to phosphorus ratio. 100g of maple syrup also gives you ~100mg of calcium and virtually no phosphorus.

Concerning price: I use Plantation Organic Blackstrap Molasses so frankly it is not cheap. I live in New England USA and right now maple syrup is
much cheaper (plus I make a bit of my own) than organic black strap but the super high mineral content makes blackstrap still a solid value.

For example:
I can get 64oz of maple syrup locally for $25.
I just bought 45oz of blackstrap for $31.

Concerning Ray's push back to brown sugar/molasses. I didn't find much regarding his concerns around toxicity due to the high processing heat.

Here is something I found:
Chris Masterjohn answered a listener's question Is blackstrap molasses toxic because of AGEs?
His conclusion; Not enough current evidence to suggest that blackstrap is toxic.

Sefton10

Not all brands have the same nutrient profile, so I wouldn't trust what Cronometer etc., says. The Brer Rabbit brand used to be the best, as it was much lower in iron than other brands, but I think it changed recently.

Jennifer

Yeah, blackstrap is the ultimate liquid multi-mineral.

I've been doing ~50g per day for the last ~5 months.

I put it in my daily 3x lattes. I do at least 25g of maple syrup in each to help smooth out blackstrap molasses aftertaste and
I dare say that they actually taste good together.

In total I do about ~100g of maple syrup and ~50g. These two form a total daily mineral powerhouse. Bye-bye calcium and mag supps.
Like OP said crazy calcium to phosphorus ratio. 100g of maple syrup also gives you ~100mg of calcium and virtually no phosphorus.

Concerning price: I use Plantation Organic Blackstrap Molasses so frankly it is not cheap. I live in New England USA and right now maple syrup is
much cheaper (plus I make a bit of my own) than organic black strap but the super high mineral content makes blackstrap still a solid value.

For example:
I can get 64oz of maple syrup locally for $25.
I just bought 45oz of blackstrap for $31.

Concerning Ray's push back to brown sugar/molasses. I didn't find much regarding his concerns around toxicity due to the high processing heat.

Here is something I found:
Chris Masterjohn answered a listener's question Is blackstrap molasses toxic because of AGEs?
His conclusion; Not enough current evidence to suggest that blackstrap is toxic.

Thank you for your detailed post. I like your idea of mixing blackstrap with maple syrup. I also live in New England, and my uncle taps so I have a lot of syrup. If you're okay with ordering online, Vitacost carries Plantation's organic 15 oz bottle for $6.29 so for 45 oz, it only costs $18.87.

Veritas IV

In regards to potential contamination between Maple syrup and Molasses, from what i read our chances of a cleaner product are better with Maple syrup.

I'll echo what other's have said with Molasses, go organic only and check the labels, choose the one with lower iron if possible.

Been meaning to research other sweeteners like Agave syrup etc etc, can;t wait to see what i'll dig up. It would be nice to have other healthy options in our pantry.

ExCarnivore

In regards to potential contamination between Maple syrup and Molasses, from what i read our chances of a cleaner product are better with Maple syrup.

I'll echo what other's have said with Molasses, go organic only and check the labels, choose the one with lower iron if possible.

Been meaning to research other sweeteners like Agave syrup etc etc, can;t wait to see what i'll dig up. It would be nice to have other healthy options in our pantry.
Did you dig up anything good with this? I'm fairly new to this and I've been using some agave on my starches to make the overall influx more balanced between fructose and glucose. But I'm always keen to try out new things.

ExCarnivore

Seriously, why isnt this talked more? Magnesium is so hard to get enough, this has huge amount of magnesium and 1g calcium per 100g, + manganese, B6 and lots of calories. You get your calcium to phosfate ratio sky high and lots of sugars for 0.2 euros a day
Thanks for posting this, despite some of the concerns of others, I didn't realise the mineral goldmine I was sitting on in my pantry. I'll definitely start using this ASAP to see how I go.

Jayvee

Anyone found any tricks for making it more palatable? Or isnit just me who struggles with it.

Veritas IV

Did you dig up anything good with this? I'm fairly new to this and I've been using some agave on my starches to make the overall influx more balanced between fructose and glucose. But I'm always keen to try out new things.
No not yet as it almost went under my radar, till i see the products in the supermarkets and remember again, then forget by the time i get home.

Will post if i can dig up good info with some proper research.

Veritas IV

Anyone found any tricks for making it more palatable? Or isnit just me who struggles with it.
You may want to try jennifer's trick, mixing molasses with maple syrup.

If it were me i'd experiment with tiny batches in shot glasses. Example 10ml molasses with 5ml maple syrup, and tweak to taste.

Of course i would go organic especially with the molasses. And if you have a choice between products then perhaps consider the one with less iron.

ExCarnivore

I've only used it for a few meals now, but so far I've found success with incorporating it into something that's more savoury rather than overtly sweet like honey. For instance, you could spread a few dozen grams of this on whatever meat you might include in your diet (as you might imagine from my name, I still have quite a bit in mine). Since I've been including some starches for the cost aspect, I've been using some of this stuff on my very well cooked potatoes and these flavours seems to balance one another. I might also add a touch of agave to the potatoes since it would be a fructose dominant sugar to even out the pure glucose source.

I thought to do this right out of the gate because this is what I do with coconut sugar/syrup, which I also find to have a relatively savoury flavour.

Curious to see if you find anything that works for you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom