Anxiety, intrusive thoughts, embarrassing memories and dopamine levels

blue_lotus

I just wanted to share an observation ive made. So I ruminate over past embarrassing events 24/7, I always have. I think its related to my overarching OCD problem (that is, embarrassing memories become intrusive thoughts). one thing ive noticed that stops rumination over embarrassing memories is being drunk or being in a really good mood. ive concluded that a large part of my issue probably involves dopamine levels. likewise, when im in a stressful situation and dopamine levels are low I compulsively think about embarrassing events or things that make me angry etc.

has anyone else here noticed a similar pattern WRT happiness and the cessation of compulsive rumination of embarrassing events?

in my mind I see myself as someone prone to cringey/embarrassing behavior and I dont deny that theres some truth to this. however, I do feel like my own self-perception gets warped significantly depending on my mood. I feel like this is related to the broader phenomena of comedowns from stims (cocaine, adderall etc) and the extremely dark and realistic depression it can cause

gaze

I had this for most of my life and its gotten a lot better. its common with people with ADHD so the dopamine angle makes sense. I would have a normal conversation with someone than for the rest of the day be thinking back about what I said and what the person was thinking. there is probably some childhood stress related to it, low self-esteem, large ego. there is probably some childhood stress related to it, low self-esteem, large ego. from a metabolic standpoint, serotonin seems to be a big cause. almost everything anti-excitatory will help. pregnenolone, especially. I think going down the dopamine route is not really helpful even though it may explains some of the symptoms. it's better to focus on lowering stress from a bioenergetic perspective which will improve balanced dopamine levels. finding ways to increase magnesium retention, improve liver glycogen, things that will prevent slipping into excitatory thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
blue_lotus

blue_lotus

I had this for most of my life and its gotten a lot better. its common with people with ADHD so the dopamine angle makes sense. I would have a normal conversation with someone than for the rest of the day be thinking back about what I said and what the person was thinking. there is probably some childhood stress related to it, low self-esteem, large ego. from a metabolic standpoint, serotonin seems to be a big cause. almost everything anti-excitatory will help. pregnenolone, especially. I think going down the dopamine route is not really helpful. it's better to focus on lowering stress from a bioenergetic perspective. finding ways to increase magnesium retention, improve liver glycogen, things that will prevent slipping into excitatory thoughts.
thanks for your reply, I too have ADHD and can relate with your story

something interesting to ponder is this; is the "real" reality the one that we experience in a "high-dopamine" state or a "low-dopamine" state? by that I mean, in what mood (happy, sad, frustrated etc) are we most accurately detecting the quality of a situation (IE how embarrassing it is, how good it is etc)?

IMO although its a very banal, non-surprising answer, I think we best detect the "real" reality of a situation in a neutral mood. a really happy mood will make things seem better than they are and a really bad mood will make things seem worse than they are

I know people including myself that once they started having a fast metabolism, their hidden past memories starter to appear one by one. Others could start finally crying. I think all emotions have to be expressed.
During the winter If I don't take thyroid, I start having your issues, rumination, intrusive thoughts, heavy internal chatter.
During the summer when i didn't need thyroid, I experimented with only eating meat and honey, I had no calcium in the diet, I became hyperactive with loud internal chatter.
I don't think any mind exercise will help you with this issue
getting into novelty more often really helps temporarily

gaze

something interesting to ponder is this; is the "real" reality the one that we experience in a "high-dopamine" state or a "low-dopamine" state? by that I mean, in what mood (happy, sad, frustrated etc) are we most accurately detecting the quality of a situation (IE how embarrassing it is, how good it is etc)?

IMO although its a very banal, non-surprising answer, I think we best detect the "real" reality of a situation in a neutral mood. a really happy mood will make things seem better than they are and a really bad mood will make things seem worse than they are
I think the neutral mood is what pregnenolone and good thyroid should feel like. completely at ease. feeling "normal" and like yourself, stable mood and thoughts. you can think about things however you want. anything excitatory can push things too high or too low. the "euphoria" ray describes with thyroid is a subtle, gentle one. ADHD metabolism probably relies too much on adrenaline, serotonin, cortisol, at varying levels, which can make things very high and very low, distorting what should be pragmatic thoughts about a situation.

Regina

Remember this thread?

toolhead

I just wanted to share an observation ive made. So I ruminate over past embarrassing events 24/7, I always have. I think its related to my overarching OCD problem (that is, embarrassing memories become intrusive thoughts). one thing ive noticed that stops rumination over embarrassing memories is being drunk or being in a really good mood. ive concluded that a large part of my issue probably involves dopamine levels. likewise, when im in a stressful situation and dopamine levels are low I compulsively think about embarrassing events or things that make me angry etc.

has anyone else here noticed a similar pattern WRT happiness and the cessation of compulsive rumination of embarrassing events?

in my mind I see myself as someone prone to cringey/embarrassing behavior and I dont deny that theres some truth to this. however, I do feel like my own self-perception gets warped significantly depending on my mood. I feel like this is related to the broader phenomena of comedowns from stims (cocaine, adderall etc) and the extremely dark and realistic depression it can cause

I can relate to ALL of this. Right down to every detail. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution to the problem, and I’ve tried all sorts of supplements/techniques. I’m hearing things about Sarcosine. I might try that next.

toolhead

There is some truth to this, but at the end of the day do you really want to have an “accurate” perception of reality when the reality of your situation is ****88 up? You can also find yourself going endlessly in circles trying to ascertain the “TRUE REALITY” of the situation. While I don’t believe in the New Age concept of “The Secret” I have found at least *some* benefit in assuming the best, particularly in crisis situations where the reality of a “worst case scenario” would simply be too much to bear.

I think it was Gene Simmons who once quipped that “life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself”.

I used to loathe that kind of attitude, but for neurotic folks like us, there may be some utility to it.

OP
blue_lotus

blue_lotus

I think the neutral mood is what pregnenolone and good thyroid should feel like. completely at ease. feeling "normal" and like yourself, stable mood and thoughts. you can think about things however you want. anything excitatory can push things too high or too low. the "euphoria" ray describes with thyroid is a subtle, gentle one. ADHD metabolism probably relies too much on adrenaline, serotonin, cortisol, at varying levels, which can make things very high and very low, distorting what should be pragmatic thoughts about a situation.
I woke up feeling this perfect mood today, which is unusual for me. you described it perfectly, feeling "normal", stable mood and thoughts etc

I can relate to ALL of this. Right down to every detail. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution to the problem, and I’ve tried all sorts of supplements/techniques. I’m hearing things about Sarcosine. I might try that next.
im rather gloomy about our prospects hahaha...a few days ago I did order a highly rated book that gives strategies for dealing with OCD, so maybe that will help. have you tried vitamin C before for its cortisol lowering properties? For me 3000 mg of vitamin C takes the edge off (but doesnt solve the problem completely). drinking a beer helps but the effect is fleeting and isnt always convenient/appropriate to do. I imagine that low dose, slow release amphetamines (think adderall xr) would probably be ideal for helping to keep mood balanced and tilted towards a positive outlook.

There is some truth to this, but at the end of the day do you really want to have an “accurate” perception of reality when the reality of your situation is ****88 up? You can also find yourself going endlessly in circles trying to ascertain the “TRUE REALITY” of the situation. While I don’t believe in the New Age concept of “The Secret” I have found at least *some* benefit in assuming the best, particularly in crisis situations where the reality of a “worst case scenario” would simply be too much to bear.

I think it was Gene Simmons who once quipped that “life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself”.

I used to loathe that kind of attitude, but for neurotic folks like us, there may be some utility to it.
youre absolutely right. I do go endlessly in circles trying to ascertain the "TRUE REALITY" of situations (IOW how embarrassing whatever I did actually was). the truth is, there are some situations that are objectively bad and are probably more beneficial to perceive with rose colored glasses

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom