A thread for Great movies to watch

DMF

"IF" - 1969 Malcolm McDowel
" Medium Cool" 1969 Robert Forster, Verna Bloom

Mossy

I know it's impossible to fit everyone's tastes, but I'll provide five movies, covering quite a span in movie history, as well as in genre: a 40's classic film-noir, a 70's romantic drama, an 80's sci-fi adventure, a 2000's epic big-budget fantasy-adventure, and a 2000's "modern" historical thriller:

1) Double Indemnity: Double Indemnity (1944) - IMDb
2) Days of Heaven: Days of Heaven (1978) - IMDb
3) Back to the Future: Back to the Future (1985) - IMDb
4) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - IMDb
5) Valkyrie: Valkyrie (2008) - IMDb

I believe movie-making is a limited art form and should be gone into with a right perspective. It's not a book; it hinges on moving pictures and can tell a story within it's own limitation of a visual presentation, versus the subtle and more nuanced intellectual nature of a written story. Where a book can depend upon the unique imaginative interpretation of the reader and their ability to understand and interpret the author, a movie can be more blatant and jarring to the intellect and senses (i.e., visual pollution)—and usually is—which is the reason for so few good movies. In addition, some people can stomach only so much visually, before it's an assault on their moral convictions as it's being played out before them on the screen; where in a book they may be able to endure more, as they're just reading it and it's not vividly before them. I mention this last part because it allows me to recommend only certain movies, as I want to be considerate of what I put before the minds of others. As a result, I tend to not recommend "comedies" or anything with potentially offensive content. Even so, some of what I did recommend has a bit of content that could be questionable and offensive for some. So, for anyone with heightened sensitivities, please do additional research.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Demyze

Demyze

Demyze

@JamesGatz

Also the shining is very good and very spooky
The Shining (1980) - IMDb

If you like Kubrick's stuff Barry Lyndon is a good movie. It might be to slow for a lot of peoples taste, at first I almost stopped watching it but it ended up being pretty great and the cinematography is fantastic;
Barry Lyndon (1975) - IMDb

Demyze

Demyze

Demyze

Demyze

Vajra

"For seven years I ate at Bob's Big Boy. I would go at 2:30, after the lunch rush. I ate a chocolate shake and four, five, six, seven cups of coffee--with lots of sugar. And there's lots of sugar in that chocolate shake. It's a thick shake. In a silver goblet. I would get a rush from all this sugar, and I would get so many ideas! I would write them on these napkins. It was like I had a desk with paper. All I had to do was remember to bring my pen, but a waitress would give me one if I remembered to return it at the end of my stay. I got a lot of ideas at Bob's."

L

Lord Cola

“Evil is not able to create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what has been invented or made by the forces of good”
Sounds like what they're doing with all the cynical remakes and spinoffs.
Edit: just saw the comments haha

Demyze

Sounds like what they're doing with all the cynical remakes and spinoffs.
Edit: just saw the comments haha
+1
Going to ruin Tolkien's works

Demyze

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom