Why Does My Methyl B Complex Cause Anxiety?

mgrabs

Any reason why when I take Methylated B complex I get a very out of body feeling? Anxiety & nervousness?

Wouldn’t Methylated B vitamins do the opposite?

I know some people say its from too much of a certain B vitamin like 5 or 6.
BUT my levels on a cellular level (not just serum) came back slightly deficient. Im not high in any of them.

So wouldn’t the B methylated Complex correct the deficiency and you should feel LESS anxiety?

Attached is a photo of the B Complex I take every morning. Along with 1.5 grains thyroid, dhea & preg.

Any help or advice would be great with what to do!

Maybe its
The thyroid all of the sudden?

Attachments

• 72AEA341-983A-4C15-A163-B16691D21D2A.jpeg
    72AEA341-983A-4C15-A163-B16691D21D2A.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 60
OP
M

mgrabs

Any advice would be great! As I’ve been starting to feel better. This seems to be a weird occurrence in my healing journey

Normal Human

Any reason why when I take Methylated B complex I get a very out of body feeling? Anxiety & nervousness?

BUT my levels on a cellular level (not just serum) came back slightly deficient. Im not high in any of them.

So wouldn’t the B methylated Complex correct the deficiency and you should feel LESS anxiety?

Attached is a photo of the B Complex I take every morning. Along with 1.5 grains thyroid, dhea & preg.

Maybe its
I can't tell you why, other than to say that methylated b-vitamins also cause me intense anxiety/agitation and the same thing for my partner. I've heard that folinic acid (rather than methylfolate) and adenosyl- or hydroxy- B12 (rather than methylcobalamin) are generally better tolerated by people who are sensitive to methylated b's. Seeking Health offers these kinds of supplements.

Bozidar

Forum Supporter

Maybe its
The most likely reason, IMHO, is that methylfolate is improving the function of your COMT gene which, among other things, is used to deactivate dopamine in synaptic cleft and exporting it out.
Lower dopamine = anxiety
This is not a lot of methylfolate which you are taking, but you also have TMG there which is used in an alternative route to methylate homocysteine so it ends up sparing methylfolate.
I have the same problem.
You need methylfolate for many other functions, but you cannot take it cause it ends up depleting dopamine. You probably already have fast working COMT. For what ever reason, naturally, stress...
I dont know how to solve this problem.
Chris Masterjohn recommends increasing the dose little by little and adding glycine to stabilize methylation system and it should get better over time, but I find it unbearable.

LucH

Chris Masterjohn recommends increasing the dose little by little and adding glycine to stabilize methylation system and it should get better over time, but I find it unbearable.
Well seen: too slow action, but must be taken into account. Shake with collagen could help, with other nutrients, if déficient in magnesium (bisglycinate mg), e.g.
The active biological form is pyridoxale-5-phosphate (=pyridoxamine). Good vitamin B complex preparations contain:
- the same quantity of vit B1, B2 and B6.
- at least 4 x more vit B3
- at least 2 x more vit B5
Source : Zoelho.com (in French) Pharma-Dr.

Note: Some people feels nervous when taking high dose of B6 Pyridoxine. Unbalanced nervous system.
DA 2 – 3 mg. Orthomolecular pharmacology 10 – 50 mg.

OP
M

mgrabs

The most likely reason, IMHO, is that methylfolate is improving the function of your COMT gene which, among other things, is used to deactivate dopamine in synaptic cleft and exporting it out.
Lower dopamine = anxiety
This is not a lot of methylfolate which you are taking, but you also have TMG there which is used in an alternative route to methylate homocysteine so it ends up sparing methylfolate.
I have the same problem.
You need methylfolate for many other functions, but you cannot take it cause it ends up depleting dopamine. You probably already have fast working COMT. For what ever reason, naturally, stress...
I dont know how to solve this problem.
I was somewhat thinking that when something is missing in the body and you introduce it at a certain dose you’re body reacts in a negative way. Almost like it gets worse before it gets better? Not too sure.

Id assume I continue balancing out my Bs through supplementation & over time I shouldn’t have these weird symptoms?

OP
M

mgrabs

Well seen: too slow action, but must be taken into account. Shake with collagen could help, with other nutrients, if déficient in magnesium (bisglycinate mg), e.g.
The active biological form is pyridoxale-5-phosphate (=pyridoxamine). Good vitamin B complex preparations contain:
- the same quantity of vit B1, B2 and B6.
- at least 4 x more vit B3
- at least 2 x more vit B5
Source : Zoelho.com (in French) Pharma-Dr.

Note: Some people feels nervous when taking high dose of B6 Pyridoxine. Unbalanced nervous system.
DA 2 – 3 mg. Orthomolecular pharmacology 10 – 50 mg.
Will that start to balance out in a few months while continuing to supplement?

LucH

Well with a B-complex, it's going to be difficult to find one with low B6.
I would try to balance B1 B2 B 3. B1 is needed but not without some B2.
B9 and B12 can be taken once a week, or less. mind the form of B9 (not too much if folic acid).
See the graphic for B-vitamins interaction :

vit  B complex interactions. Dr Schweikart.png

Source: Dr Schweikart

OP
M

mgrabs

Well with a B-complex, it's going to be difficult to find one with low B6.
I would try to balance B1 B2 B 3. B1 is needed but not without some B2.
B9 and B12 can be taken once a week, or less. mind the form of B9 (not too much if folic acid).
See the graphic for B-vitamins interaction :

View attachment 56286
Source: Dr Schweikart
Oh boy. My brain is having a tough time comprehending that lol!

OP
M

mgrabs

Attachments

• E5D6784B-F81C-4060-868D-CA6AA13D42D1.jpeg
    E5D6784B-F81C-4060-868D-CA6AA13D42D1.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 14

Bozidar

Forum Supporter

Creatine would speed up COMT. When Creatine is synthesized methylfolate is being spent. If you ingest Creatine, your body doesn't need to make it. Therefore, you are left with more methylfolate which then your COMT uses. Theoretically.
In practice I don't know how does all that play out.
I am taking Creatine cause of MTHFR mutation and it doesn't affect my dopamine. It improves my strength. I would recommend taking it.

I can't tell you why, other than to say that methylated b-vitamins also cause me intense anxiety/agitation and the same thing for my partner. I've heard that folinic acid (rather than methylfolate) and adenosyl- or hydroxy- B12 (rather than methylcobalamin) are generally better tolerated by people who are sensitive to methylated b's. Seeking Health offers these kinds of supplements.
I have been taking the Seeking Health B12 Adenosyl Hydroxyl for 6 months. I don’t see any improvement with my POTS/CFS. I am told I am a non-methylator (2 copies) and that I should not take Methylcobalamin, but it’s the only way that I feel like I can get through the day. …Is there really any harm in taking it, even if it produces some anxiety? I think I prefer to be hyped-up than unable to function.

wzuo

Why do you need b complex in such high doses? I would take those that cant be provided by good diet only, and in sane amounts, not something like 10000% RDA

wzuo

Why do you need b complex in such high doses? I would take those that cant be provided by good diet only, and in sane amounts, not something like 10000% RDA
More doesn't mean better

OP
M

mgrabs

More doesn't mean better
I was trying to raise my B levels. Attached her are my results from a cellular level. Which showed on the lower end of most B vitamins. Id rather take less if thats better. Im not sure what to do to be honest. See attached photo of results

Attachments

• 8597261D-4B8E-4105-A631-6C076C7436A0.jpeg
    8597261D-4B8E-4105-A631-6C076C7436A0.jpeg
    257.2 KB · Views: 16

youngsinatra

I think it’s too high dosed across the board. T3 activates B2 into it’s active form FAD and that activates B6, folate and B12. That can feel like a kickstart of the methylation cycle, esp. now that you are on thyroid.

I personally feel awful with B12 and B6 causes neuropathy for me. I only take some B2, methylfolate and biotin, as my diet is deficient in those. My serum B12 and B6 have always been running high, and I think it’s due to long-standing functional B2 deficiency due to hypothyroidism.

Last edited:

TheDogsDid-It!

Forum Supporter
I had the same issue with the methylated B. I would feel so depleted. My micronutrient report showed me low in all Bs. My doctor suspected I don't absorb Bs through digestion and put me on 2 types of B injections (B12 and B Complex). The B12 injection was a small dose 3 times a week, so I didn't have a big reaction until I went on vacation with my sister, and took one of her injections at her dose, since I had been without for over a week. I started shaking and felt like low blood sugar. I had a DNA report performed and it confirmed I don't absorb Bs through digestion (same with vitamin D and A), and due to a MTHFR gene problem I needed to avoid methylcobalamin. I also have fast COMT, but not sure what that means in connection to this. Like others mentioned, I found the right Bs to take through Seeking Health website. I take them sublingual for better absorption. The Seeking Health website has a lot of information on dirty genes to help find the right supplement, but looking at the bigger picture from a DNA report, and how one gene can affect another, creates a puzzle for me all the time with what to really do. I've only been taking the Bs from Seeking Health for about a month, and will be doing another micronutrient report at the end of October, to see if there are any improvements.

OP
M

mgrabs

I think it’s too high dosed across the board. T3 activates B2 into it’s active form FAD and that activates B6, folate and B12. That can feel like a kickstart of the methylation cycle, esp. now that you are on thyroid.

I personally feel awful with B12 and B6 causes neuropathy for me. I only take some B2, methylfolate and biotin, as my diet is deficient in those. My serum B12 and B6 have always been running high, and I think it’s due to long-standing functional B2 deficiency due to hypothyroidism.
Hey off topic real quick, my new set of bloods came back on thyroid. Upped the dose to 1.5 grains since last months test. TSH went from 3.7 only to 3.5. Still seems like not enough? I figured id at least be in the 2s by now. T4 dropped from 1.2 to 0.9. T3 went from 3.0 to 3.3. And reverse T3 dropped from 12 to 8. Thoughts?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals