What would your diet look like if you ate according to cravings (i.e no restrictions)?

I'm.No.One

That moment when you realize that you've been able to justify most of your cravings as pro-metabolic ?

No but really if my body is craving something I listen to that cue.

Sure if it's like "I want salty chips" I might be like okay but they've gata be cooked in avocado oil...

If I crave something fatty I eat something fatty.

Want a cookie? Make a dozen myself so I know the ingredients are clean.

For me if I crave it I need it & typically after I have a good bit of whatever I'm craving I move on. I am not all consumed by needing it 24/7.

I also often hear people say "I removed xyz from my diet & I feel so much better now!"

That's awesome & all but I also wonder...

What did you add in place of it? Maybe you were just lacking what you added?

Or, was it processed crap that you could have made a version of yourself much cleaner?

Just some thoughts.

Anyhow this morning I'm craving some fried hash browns, some over easy eggs, & strawberries with cream & honey drizzled over top because my body thinks that sounds amazing ?

Jennifer

:thumbsup: Me too. Though, in fairness, I crave what I feel my best on. If I craved meat and starch, I’d be in trouble.

OP
Korven

Korven

Have you tried home made sourdough? For me I’ve noticed the dose matters when it comes to wheat. I do well with a little but if I go overboard especially with store bought bread my digestion suffers. If I actually try to totally cut out wheat I don’t feel that good either or at least don’t notice any benefits.

I have also noticed in the times of my life when my health was at its very best I didn’t restrict my diet at all. Not necessarily meaning an unrestricted diet led to good health, but because my health was so great I didn’t feel the need to mess with my diet.

As far as the opioids in certain foods, i don’t know a lot about that but I don’t see why that means a food is bad. It makes sense that food would be neurally rewarding via the opioid pathways in the brain.

No I haven't, I think I am too lazy or perhaps I need more dopamine in my brain :lol: But I should really try it. I notice the same negative effects with store bought bread (which annoyingly ALWAYS has added gluten for some reason...)

Same - before my digestion was so good I could digest bricks. And I was very healthy eating toast and butter and lasagna. After veganism and carnivore it has just not been the same. I think my gut microbiome permanently lost some good guys that I will never see again. RIP gut critters.

Atman

Thanks to everyone who answered, it is interesting that most seem to gravitate towards hyperpalatable dairy/wheat based foods. Is this due to opioids like ursidae says or is it the body actually craving what it really needs?
I think it's because most of the forum members are living in western countries where ripe, exotic fruits are not available and dairy/starch based foods are the best options.
If I lived in the tropics or if money was no issue, I had lot's of tree ripened mangos/jackfruit/durian/mangosteen etc. every day. You can keep your stodgy pasta and bread.

See title thread:

What would you eat if you only ate super tasty things and had no dietary restrictions whatsoever?

Or are you already doing this, and if so, how do you feel on that diet?

I'll start:

- Chicken breast cooked in large amounts of butter/cream with tarragon and a side of refined starch (pasta or rice or oven roasted potatoes).
- Sourdough bread with butter
- Home made cookies (with milk) and cakes.
- Pancakes served with berries or jam or maple syrup
- Lots of eggs, soft boiled and omelettes cooked in generous quantities of butter.
- Oatmeal porridge with honey and full fat milk
- Lots of hearty meat pies (e.g shepherds pies)
- I would be drinking lots of quality beers (e.g belgian trappist beers like Duvel)
- Home made, slow-cooked bolognese with a mountain of pasta
- Steaks (cooked in butter and served with garlic butter) served with cheesy potato gratin
- Maybe some kiwis or apples, or a fruit salad with whipped cream for desert
- 0.5 litre of full fat milk before bed every night

Basically - everything cooked in lots of butter or cream, a ton of refined starch and a lot of meat, eggs and milk. Not much fruit or sweet things but more as a garnishment.

What would your diet look like?

I would be eating your sourdough bread with butter and tasty meat pies or empanadas. I would eat refried beans topped with cheese, sour cream and good hot sauce, enchiladas, tacos and guacamole. Hmmm and I would drink milk till I gave myself a stomach ache. I never have been a sugar or meat lover. I would eat a lot of crab legs with butter and Tabasco too, I have had a crab leg like that the past two mornings! It is my reward for my liver days this week :)

That moment when you realize that you've been able to justify most of your cravings as pro-metabolic ?

Sure if it's like "I want salty chips" I might be like okay but they've gata be cooked in avocado oil...

If I crave something fatty I eat something fatty.

Want a cookie? Make a dozen myself so I know the ingredients are clean.

For me if I crave it I need it & typically after I have a good bit of whatever I'm craving I move on. I am not all consumed by needing it 24/7.

I also often hear people say "I removed xyz from my diet & I feel so much better now!"

That's awesome & all but I also wonder...

What did you add in place of it? Maybe you were just lacking what you added?

Or, was it processed crap that you could have made a version of yourself much cleaner?

Just some thoughts.

Anyhow this morning I'm craving some fried hash browns, some over easy eggs, & strawberries with cream & honey drizzled over top because my body thinks that sounds amazing ?

I will eat the list of “happy foods” that I mentioned if am having company and make them, or it’s a holiday, or if I happen to be at a restaurant where those things are offered, but I don’t crave any of those foods, except the milk. One I start drinking a glass of milk, I crave it the rest of the day and can’t stop!

I'm.No.One

I will eat the list of “happy foods” that I mentioned if am having company and make them, or it’s a holiday, or if I happen to be at a restaurant where those things are offered, but I don’t crave any of those foods, except the milk. One I start drinking a glass of milk, I crave it the rest of the day and can’t stop!
I think the only thing I like truthfully have a real craving for, like can't stop thinking about, is ice cream before bed. Typically after my cycle I noticed.

Which is usually satisfied with just a small scoop, a pint of Häagen-Dazs usually lasts me a week. I eat a lot of calcium in general so I'm guessing it's something about the combo of the fat/proteins.

I think the only thing I like truthfully have a real craving for, like can't stop thinking about, is ice cream before bed. Typically after my cycle I noticed.

Which is usually satisfied with just a small scoop, a pint of Häagen-Dazs usually lasts me a week. I eat a lot of calcium in general so I'm guessing it's something about the combo of the fat/proteins.

I use to crave things, but not anymore. I was into Haagen Daz ice cream too. I ate a pint of the vanilla Swiss almond every night the last month of my 2nd pregnancy and gained 7 pounds that month!

OP
Korven

Korven

I would be eating your sourdough bread with butter and tasty meat pies or empanadas. I would eat refried beans topped with cheese, sour cream and good hot sauce, enchiladas, tacos and guacamole. Hmmm and I would drink milk till I gave myself a stomach ache. I never have been a sugar or meat lover. I would eat a lot of crab legs with butter and Tabasco too, I have had a crab leg like that the past two mornings! It is my reward for my liver days this week :)

All of those things sound very tasty... now you made me hungry. I've never been a sugar person either, always liked more savoury meals... And milk! Loads of it. :emoji_taco::emoji_milk:

All of those things sound very tasty... now you made me hungry. I've never been a sugar person either, always liked more savoury meals... And milk! Loads of it. :emoji_taco::emoji_milk:

Ha! Ha! Like yesterday, I cut thin slices of grass fed mild cheddar and used them as “chips” in a fresh made chunky puréed salsa. I love radish slices as “chips” for guacamole, long before I ever heard of Ray Peat. I think I am gonna add angel hair pasta and Alfredo sauce on something to my list, and potato chips with onion dip too!

OP
Korven

Korven

Ha! Ha! Like yesterday, I cut thin slices of grass fed mild cheddar and used them as “chips” in a fresh made chunky puréed salsa. I love radish slices as “chips” for guacamole, long before I ever heard of Ray Peat. I think I am gonna add angel hair pasta and Alfredo sauce on something to my list, and potato chips with onion dip too!

I am in awe of your cooking creativity! You should release a "more than just milk" Ray Peat cookbook :mrgreen: Definitely need to try those radish chips, they sound... interesting.

I am in awe of your cooking creativity! You should release a "more than just milk" Ray Peat cookbook :mrgreen: Definitely need to try those radish chips, they sound... interesting.
Awww thank you Korven! Funny people in my life always assume I love cooking, but I don’t. I see cooking as a chore, and would rather the food appear before me. It is a blessing to be able to whip up whatever I imagine, which came from learning how to make something out of nothing as a kid. Maybe one of these days when my life gets boring I will put out that cookbook :)

Peatful

I’ll chime in.

I have zero cravings.
None.

Why?
I believe it’s because I eat whatever I want.

Do I eat PUFA?
No- because it’s not what I want.

Food freedom.
No food fear. No orthorexia.
I restricted for too many years.
Recovery was not a ton of fun. But absolutely worth it on the other side.

aniciete

I’ll chime in.

I have zero cravings.
None.

Why?

Do I eat PUFA?

Food freedom.

Great post.

Peatful

Nomane Euger

I’ll chime in.

I have zero cravings.
None.

Why?

Do I eat PUFA?

Food freedom.

hi,what feeling make you eat something if you have no cravings?you dont eat pufa,how do you accomplish eating 0,00 grammes of pufa?

RealNeat

**Paging Matt Stone, Paging Matt Stone**

lol

I'd each sushi and sashimi constantly, ribs, pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken, milkshakes, brisket sandwiches, loaded potatoes, fried oyster and muscle sandwiches with lots of tartar sauce, French fries, waffles, tons of pie, mochi, lots of Korean food, fish and chicken sandwiches etc...

But in reality these cravings can mostly be made healthy with the proper ingredients and sourcing. However my obsession with seaweed would likely result in iodine overload.

Peatful

hi,what feeling make you eat something if you have no cravings?you dont eat pufa,how do you accomplish eating 0,00 grammes of pufa?
Hi.

Regarding PUFA. Most foods have PUFA. Healthy or Peaty foods even- you can’t escape them all.
Meaning- I don’t crave, say, peanut butter or fries or chicken even.

No cravings. I just eat when im hungry. But literally no cravings.
Maybe a good sign im getting my Mg, Na and other minerals hopefully; although I do know I need to up my Ca.

Good hearty breakfast. Big lunch. Smaller dinner.
No cravings.
No need for dessert.

Im fed. Im full. Im free.

Addendum: although I do enjoy desserts. Guilt free.

Addendum 2: for reference. Im not overweight. Im thin for an American woman. I was a very sick size 0/2. Went up to a 10. And am now a 4. Maybe a 6 in some higher end brands.
All sizes are beautiful btw. Meaning I share this for reference.
I eat 2500-2800 kcal per day.
Some days much less. Some days much more.

Last edited:

Peatful

**Paging Matt Stone, Paging Matt Stone**

lol

I'd each sushi and sashimi constantly, ribs, pizza, hamburgers, fried chicken, French fries, mochi, lots of Korean food, fish and chicken sandwiches etc...

But I'm l reality these cravings can all be made healthy with the proper ingredients and sourcing.
Lol.

Never read his books.
But know of him.
He was probably on to something good?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals