Vitamin D hypersensitivity

OP
E

Electrisio

Yes my expirience was very similar.

D3 definitely increase calcium levels. The thing is, when your body is deficient in calcium, the blood level of calcium goes up, because your body will leech calcium from bones and teeth to use it for more important purposes. That's why it is called paradoxical hypercalcemia.

I'm not saying this is necessarily your case, I'm saying this is possible.

How is your calcium intake, long term? Are your teeth healthy?
Would you expect a pretty instant resolution of these symptoms with a high intake of calcium? Or would it take quite some time?

BearWithMe

Definitely not instant. It took me maybe 6 months of super high calcium intake to start tolerating vitamin D again.

Gustav3Y

What about the claimed proprieties of calcium that would inhibit the more or less absorption of certain minerals?
Hasn't that happened in those 6 months and that is the cause of actual vit D tolerance?

monrouge150

What about the claimed proprieties of calcium that would inhibit the more or less absorption of certain minerals?
Hasn't that happened in those 6 months and that is the cause of actual vit D tolerance?
Too much calcium will also Antagonise vitamin D. The body to avoid calcium overload will regulate vitamin D.
It is all about balance.

Last edited:

PeskyPeater

It seems to me its possible that different genetic expression of certain serotonin metabolic factors are responsible for these weird reaction in the central nervous system to oral vitamin D.
three important enzymes/transport proteins that determine serotonin concentration and dynamics in the CNS are TPH2, SERT, and MAO-A. It is generally accepted that the amount and activity of these three proteins governs serotonin levels in the CNS [3].

In a recent publication [4], we proposed that serotonin concentrations are controlled in part by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25D), the active, hormonal metabolite of vitamin D. Specifically, we demonstrated that 1,25D dramatically induces TPH2 gene expression in differentiated serotonergic rat raphe RN46A-B14 cells [4], a finding that is reinforced by in vivo experiments conducted by Jiang et al. [5] revealing a significant induction of TPH2 mRNA in the prefrontal cortex of rats after chronic 1,25D administration. .. -source

Results​

To determine if vitamin D affects the major route of serotonin reuptake and degradation, the influence of 1,25D on the expression of SERT and MAO-A was assessed by quantitative real-time PCR in differentiated serotonergic rat raphe RN46A-B14 cells. Cells in culture were challenged with 1, 10, and 100 nM 1,25D, and mRNA was isolated, reverse transcribed to cDNA and probed for SERT and MAO-A expression. Figure 1a illustrates that SERT is unaffected by 1 and 100 nM 1,25D-treatment, but a concentration of 10 nM 1,25D significantly (p = 0.0001) represses SERT mRNA expression by 59%.
... Strikingly, MAO-A displays an identical regulatory pattern of expression when challenged with a range of 1,25D concentrations in differentiated serotonergic rat raphe RN46A-B14 cells (Fig. 1b). MAO-A is similarly unaffected by 1 and 100 nM 1,25D-treatment, but a concentration of 10 nM 1,25D significantly (p = 0.015) represses MAO-A mRNA expression by 51%. Therefore, two neurally expressed genes exhibit a similar profile of regulation by 1,25D, and the data suggest that certain levels of the vitamin D hormone appear to be capable of suppressing serotonin reuptake and catabolism.

Teeth are healthy yes, looking at my diet I think my calcium intake is probably decent. I haven't really tracked it that much but I consume quite a bit of whey protein and oats which I see are both solid sources of calcium.
On paper maybe, but oats have phytic acid and oxalates which bind calcium. You have to soak them like legumes to remove some of it. Whey protein- not sure about that, maybe it’s fortified, but you probably wouldn’t consume more than 2 scoops of it anyway, which will give you around 200mg. Whey protein powders are industrial waste products - you are probably better off ditching them.

Interesting. Before my I started Peating I couldn’t tolerate vitamin D, bit after - no problem. Main difference was removing pufas, adding more dairy and eggshell powder with weekly liver. Go figure… ??‍♂️?

OP
E

Electrisio

Interesting. Before my I started Peating I couldn’t tolerate vitamin D, bit after - no problem. Main difference was removing pufas, adding more dairy and eggshell powder with weekly liver. Go figure… ??‍♂️?
What did your intolerance issues look like?

interesting, about the weekly liver. Matches up with what people were saying about vitamin A.

iso1

well i done the test... i have pretty severe D deficiency 37,0 nmol/l (75-250 normal range) and of course my calcium is on upper range value. which doesnt make sense. And i can't tolerate vitamin D supplements either. So i guess I will do nothing

OP
E

Electrisio

For anyone interested, I have managed to rectify this issue through eating Gouda and Edam (for k2) while taking D3. So happy that I have managed to make this work. For me it seemed that the tiniest doses was having an affect on my calcium. I can’t tolerate K2 supplements either, they give me palpitations and anxiety which is quite common.

For anyone interested, I have managed to rectify this issue through eating Gouda and Edam (for k2) while taking D3. So happy that I have managed to make this work. For me it seemed that the tiniest doses was having an affect on my calcium. I can’t tolerate K2 supplements either, they give me palpitations and anxiety which is quite common.

Wow that is great, and so interesting! So supplimenting the D caused an imbalance in your body and the cheese resolved it?

OP
E

Electrisio

Wow that is great, and so interesting! So supplimenting the D caused an imbalance in your body and the cheese resolved it?

At a low dose of vitamin d it was enough, admittedly I think higher doses require K2 supplementation unfortunately.

I had a very weird experience with vitamin D. I was using only 10,000 IU/ day topically (so 20% absorption) of Now brands D3 in olive oil. Initially, I felt amazing - improved digestion/transit time, mental clarity, enhanced mood and sleep. Then all of the sudden things came crashing down- insomnia, dizziness, nausea, hair loss and hypothyroid symptoms. The weirdest symptom was my sense of smell became disrupted for over a week and I had phantom smells of smoke (smelling it when it wasn’t there)... I was taking a small dose of eggshell alongside it and vitamin A. I don’t know if maybe I overdid it and can’t seem to make sense of it but it has sure made me not want to try it again...

I had a very weird experience with vitamin D. I was using only 10,000 IU/ day topically (so 20% absorption) of Now brands D3 in olive oil. Initially, I felt amazing - improved digestion/transit time, mental clarity, enhanced mood and sleep. Then all of the sudden things came crashing down- insomnia, dizziness, nausea, hair loss and hypothyroid symptoms. The weirdest symptom was my sense of smell became disrupted for over a week and I had phantom smells of smoke (smelling it when it wasn’t there)... I was taking a small dose of eggshell alongside it and vitamin A. I don’t know if maybe I overdid it and can’t seem to make sense of it but it has sure made me not want to try it again...

I just bought Now brand liquid vitamin D, in MCT oil, to use on the skin as Ray Peat does. I haven't used it yet, but I am assuming you ingested yours?

Attachments

• 20211007_151529.jpg
    20211007_151529.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 8

I just bought Now brand liquid vitamin D, in MCT oil, to use on the skin as Ray Peat does. I haven't used it yet, but I am assuming you ingested yours?
No I used their capsules in EVOO topically- just broke them open and rubbed on thin skinned areas...

Elize

Olive oil is histamine liberating for me and MCT oil didn't work for me either. I'm looking into trying vitamin D patches

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals