Vitamin D - Healing My Skin And My Nervous System

Tenacity

I've dealt with poor skin, on my face, back, shoulders and upper arms, ever since I was 14. I've posted about my experiences with manganese and choline in giving some relief on the facial acne, but my back has never cleared.

I've been taking 8000 IU of Carlson's liquid vitamin D3, to correct a deficiency uncovered investigating my postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. My levels were 8ng/ml, and the optimal range is at least 50ng/ml. I was very deficient, despite making an intentional effort to spend time in the sun this year.

It has very much helped with the anxiety and dissociation that begun along with that syndrome, and I'm hopeful that I can eventually resolve the orthostatic tachycardia.

As the cherry on top, the skin on my face has entirely cleared, and my back is now clearing up - for the first time.

It's one of the most basic, simplest things, always recommended in the Peatosphere, but I never got it tested until I became seriously ill. It might be worth checking out if you suffer from skin issues, acne in particular, or anxiety/brain fog/dissociation.

I think I have a sick liver, because manganese, choline and vitamin D are all very important to the liver, and I get very stressed if I miss meals or don't eat very much. Niacinamide has helped with that latter issue.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fantastic!

Did you take it orally or transdermal? What was your level when you started feeling better? Any more info you can give about your supplementation will be greatly appreciated. Did you take the supporting supplements(vitamin A, K, E and magnesium) with it?

Last edited:

aguilaroja

I've been taking 8000 IU of Carlson's liquid vitamin D3, to correct a deficiency uncovered investigating my postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. My levels were 8ng/ml, and the optimal range is at least 50ng/ml. I was very deficient, despite making an intentional effort to spend time in the sun this year.
It has very much helped with the anxiety and dissociation that begun along with that syndrome, and I'm hopeful that I can eventually resolve the orthostatic tachycardia.
As the cherry on top, the skin on my face has entirely cleared, and my back is now clearing up - for the first time.

Thanks for this report.

It might be helpful to check parathyroid hormone levels, both at the beginnings of boosting vitamin D intake and later on.

Though not particularly Peat-y, the Vitamin D council website has been at the forefront of Vitamin D research surveillance for years:
Vitamin D Articles, News, & Research | Vitamin D Council

OP
Tenacity

Tenacity

Fantastic!

Did you take it orally or transdermal? What was your level when you started feeling better? Any more info you can give about your supplementation will be greatly appreciated. Did you take the supporting supplements(vitamin A, K, E and magnesium) with it?

I take it orally. I usually put 8 drops, 1000IU each, in a cup of milk and drink that. I've read it's better to take in divided doses though, so I've started to do that.

I've not retested yet. I can only report that my sickness began in August, was at its worst early December, and began improving very slightly after January. I began to supplement vitamin D last month, and the improvement since taking it has been dramatic. I've gone from anxiety and poor sleep every night to only slight anxiety every few days. And of course, the massive improvements to my skin. I intend to have my levels retested next month, to see how the supplementation is working.

I have not taken any of the other fat soluble vitamins. The only other supplement I am taking is niacinamide, at around 150mg daily. I eat a nutritious diet, so I'm not too concerned about nutrient interactions. If I take the other fat solubles in the future, I'll report any change. :)

Thanks for this report.

It might be helpful to check parathyroid hormone levels, both at the beginnings of boosting vitamin D intake and later on.

Though not particularly Peat-y, the Vitamin D council website has been at the forefront of Vitamin D research surveillance for years:
Vitamin D Articles, News, & Research | Vitamin D Council

I'm planning on getting PTH and calcium tested next month too. The Council is where I got the info on how much to supplement - a great resource. :)

raypeatclips

Interesting @Tenacity. We had similar-ish "incidents" last year related to overwhelming anxiety. I tested my vitamin D recently and it was around 15 Ng/ml. Unfortunately I can't tolerate D orally so have been trying topical means. Glad you are feeling better!

I know @charlie has been recommending people test D recently, and I really think everyone on this forum should test their D levels before anything else on here.

denise

You could even try 30,000-50,000 IU D3 for 6 months. Also, add vitamin K2 at a ratio 10 IU D3 : 2 mcg+ MK-4. And magnesium. And a good multivitamin.

https://www.amazon.com/Miraculous-Results-Extremely-Sunshine-Experiment/dp/1491243821
Definitely don't forget the magnesium if you go high! Earlier this year I did about 30-40k of D a day for about 6 weeks, and although I was keeping up with the K, I wasn't taking enough magnesium, and eventually I could not keep my blood sugar stable at all and had to eat constantly. I figured out it was the magnesium, started taking three times as much (roughly 600 mg of mag bicarbonate) and everything went back to normal.

baccheion

Definitely don't forget the magnesium if you go high! Earlier this year I did about 30-40k of D a day for about 6 weeks, and although I was keeping up with the K, I wasn't taking enough magnesium, and eventually I could not keep my blood sugar stable at all and had to eat constantly. I figured out it was the magnesium, started taking three times as much (roughly 600 mg of mag bicarbonate) and everything went back to normal.
Yea. Magnesium oil spray (topical magnesium) is great, as it's cheap, can be used as a deodorant, and can correct a magnesium deficiency (apply all over like lotion each day, then rinse after 20-30 minutes; can go into maintenance when a white film begins forming).

AOR Ortho-Core and Life Extension Mix (+ Once-Daily Health Booster) are great multivitamins. There's also Thorne Basic Detox Nutrients, as this is usually a good time to sneak that in.

denise

Yea. Magnesium oil spray (topical magnesium) is great, as it's cheap, can be used as a deodorant, and can correct a magnesium deficiency (apply all over like lotion each day, then rinse after 20-30 minutes; can go into maintenance when a white film begins forming).
I use that too. I've been using it as my deodorant for years. I just find adding the mag bicarb to my OJ every morning less of a hassle, but I really ought to try slathering on the mag oil before bed and see if it helps my sleep.

InChristAlone

Yeah the reason you need so much mag with high vitamin D is it's driving your calcium up.

baccheion

Yeah the reason you need so much mag with high vitamin D is it's driving your calcium up.
Increased calcium uptake is mostly handled by vitamin K2 MK-4. Megadose vitamin D fuels/activates/restarts many processes that use up magnesium (as a cofactor).

InChristAlone

Vitamin D regulates calcium.
Capture9.JPG

InChristAlone

It's probably not as simple as Dr. Smith claims. Vitamin D is also anti-cortisol and anti-estrogen from what I've read, so that would be pro-thyroid and pro-leanness.
Just be careful with the supps. It can go from great to bad. I will only use UV to get vitamin D with all the research coming out now.

raypeatclips

Just be careful with the supps. It can go from great to bad. I will only use UV to get vitamin D with all the research coming out now.

IMO Garrett Smith seems a bit of a lazy researcher, he quotes studies that used D2, or studies that injected 200k+ iu into rats weighing something like 350 grams.

I'll admit I haven't fully delved into what he says yet, but the studies I've seen him quote look destined to have negative reactions and arent being used in "normal" ways.

He talks about cod liver oil as reasons why vitamin D can cause health issues. Everyone on this forum should be questioning that line of thinking, knowing the dangers of PUFA, yet he lumps it together as simply "vitamin D"

I'm also very interested in UV light myself for D. I just don't think Garett Smith is credible.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

IMO Garrett Smith seems a bit of a lazy researcher, he quotes studies that used D2, or studies that injected 200k+ iu into rats weighing something like 350 grams.

I'll admit I haven't fully delved into what he says yet, but the studies I've seen him quote look destined to have negative reactions and arent being used in "normal" ways.
Yeah, you can't really extrapolate from those kind of studies. I'm just so cautious now because of him and another guy I respect. He says sunlight only.

raypeatclips

Yeah, you can't really extrapolate from those kind of studies. I'm just so cautious now because of him and another guy I respect. He says sunlight only.

The issue is what happens when there is no sunlight? I'm also very interested in UV light for D too, and have purchased a light, although slightly concerned about skin cancer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals