Too High Vitamin D

nostalgic

Hey.
I had a deficiency of 10ng/ml in early December last year so I've been supplementing with about 2,5k IU each day. This Monday I got tested again and had a level of almost 50ng/ml, but seeing as I thought I still was deficient I took a whopping 22k IU since last night. I really hope this won't bring me to dangerous levels. My doctor told me to not take any more Vitamin D for a few weeks.

My symptoms still persist - extreme hunger, muscle pain, and fatigue. Is this normal?

Is 40 ng/ml a good level to aim for?

Mito

Ray has recommended 50ng/ml on radio interviews.

Chris Masterjohn recommends that you measure PTH (parathyroid hormone) at the same time as vitamin D. He recommends a vitamin D level that corresponds to a maximally supressed PTH. The recommendation is based on the the fact that the standard reference range for vitamin D is based on PTH suppression. But it’s based on the average values of many different people. So he recommends personalizing your optimal vitamin D level.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/08/20/the-evolution-of-diverse-vitamin-d-requirements/

OP
N

nostalgic

Chris Masterjohn recommends that you measure PTH (parathyroid hormone) at the same time as vitamin D. He recommends a vitamin D level that corresponds to a maximally supressed PTH. The recommendation is based on the the fact that the standard reference range for vitamin D is based on PTH suppression. But it’s based on the average values of many different people. So he recommends personalizing your optimal vitamin D level.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/08/20/the-evolution-of-diverse-vitamin-d-requirements/
Thanks for replying. So I'm actually at a good level then? My doctor says I'm too high, so it's hard to know who to believe. They're gonna do a bunch of more tests next week so I hope they check PTH as well then.

I didn't expect to go from 10 to 50ng/ml in 2 months of 2.5k IU daily, something must be really wrong with my metabolism.

raypeatclips

What were your symptoms on 10 Ng/ml compared to 50 Ng/ml, what do you feel better on?

I have seen 50 Ng/ml frequently mentioned on here and other places as the level to aim for.

Why do you think you have poor metabolism because your vitamin D has gone up? I've seen Peat say that people struggle to raise vitamin D even with huge doses when there's another nutrient deficiency, so I'm not sure why you think this is a bad sign.

OP
N

nostalgic

What were your symptoms on 10 Ng/ml compared to 50 Ng/ml, what do you feel better on?

I have seen 50 Ng/ml frequently mentioned on here and other places as the level to aim for.

Why do you think you have poor metabolism because your vitamin D has gone up? I've seen Peat say that people struggle to raise vitamin D even with huge doses when there's another nutrient deficiency, so I'm not sure why you think this is a bad sign.
I don't feel any better at all compared to when I was at 10ng/ml, I actually feel worse.

So it's a good sign then? Didn't think of it that way. I was expecting my symptoms to improve by now but I still suffer.

mmb82

I don't feel any better at all compared to when I was at 10ng/ml, I actually feel worse.

So it's a good sign then? Didn't think of it that way. I was expecting my symptoms to improve by now but I still suffer.

If you feel worse after taking vitamin D, then definitely stop vitamin D supplementation.

There is some speculation that low vitamin D levels in the blood is actually a magnesium deficiency (due to the interaction between vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc.). Taking vitamin D will only make that worse because it drives calcium levels up and potassium levels down. You could try topical magnesium (like magnesium oil or lotion) and increasing your potassium intake (through food...I can't recommend any supplements) to see if that helps with your fatigue and muscle pain. Do you have any muscle cramping or twitching, constipation, or any feeling of heart palpitations? If so, that could be indicative of low potassium.

aguilaroja

Hey.
I had a deficiency of 10ng/ml in early December last year so I've been supplementing with about 2,5k IU each day. This Monday I got tested again and had a level of almost 50ng/ml, but seeing as I thought I still was deficient I took a whopping 22k IU since last night...

2,500 IU of vitamin D3 is not an especially large amount. If you are in the northern hemisphere, sunlight exposure during the winter months is much less, for most people. If the lab testing was accurate, boosting the vitamin D level in two months suggests that either you are absorbing vitamin D well, if you are not getting major sunlight or other food sources.

A single dose of 22,000 IU of vitamin D would usually be little cause for concern. That is about twice the amount that a fair-skinned person might get from one day of ample sunlight to a large skin surface area in the summer at mid day. The alternative health impressario Gary Null mistakenly took 2 MILLION units DAILY for weeks and apparently recovered.
Vitamin D Council | Newsletter: Gary Null and vitamin D toxicity

OP
N

nostalgic

If you feel worse after taking vitamin D, then definitely stop vitamin D supplementation.

There is some speculation that low vitamin D levels in the blood is actually a magnesium deficiency (due to the interaction between vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc.). Taking vitamin D will only make that worse because it drives calcium levels up and potassium levels down. You could try topical magnesium (like magnesium oil or lotion) and increasing your potassium intake (through food...I can't recommend any supplements) to see if that helps with your fatigue and muscle pain. Do you have any muscle cramping or twitching, constipation, or any feeling of heart palpitations? If so, that could be indicative of low potassium.
I've read that things get worse before they improve from supplementing vitamin d, so I thought I just had to endure. I feel really bad tonight and I'm starting to wonder if my high vitamin d could've caused another deficiency.

I don't have any of the potassium deficiency symptoms you listed. What I do have is:

Nausea
Muscle pain
Fatigue
Depressed feeling
Hypertension

How much magnesium oil can I take daily? I know I can Google it but I trust people on this forum the most.

Last edited:
OP
N

nostalgic

2,500 IU of vitamin D3 is not an especially large amount. If you are in the northern hemisphere, sunlight exposure during the winter months is much less, for most people. If the lab testing was accurate, boosting the vitamin D level in two months suggests that either you are absorbing vitamin D well, if you are not getting major sunlight or other food sources.

A single dose of 22,000 IU of vitamin D would usually be little cause for concern. That is about twice the amount that a fair-skinned person might get from one day of ample sunlight to a large skin surface area in the summer at mid day. The alternative health impressario Gary Null mistakenly took 2 MILLION units DAILY for weeks and apparently recovered.
Vitamin D Council | Newsletter: Gary Null and vitamin D toxicity
I think I get about 200 IU daily from food, and I've barely been in the sun the last 10 years due to my pale skin and how fast it gets damaged in the sun (gonna make a change this year thoygh).

2 million? Omg, then I don't have to worry.

mmb82

I've read that things get worse before they improve from supplementing vitamin d, so I thought I just had to endure. I feel really bad tonight and I'm starting to wonder if my high vitamin d could've caused another deficiency.

I don't have any of the potassium deficiency symptoms you listed. What I do have is:

Nausea
Muscle pain
Fatigue
Depressed feeling
Hypertension

How much magnesium oil can I take daily? I know I can Google it but I trust people on this forum the most.

If you think you have high vitamin D, the safest thing you can take is magnesium (topically is probably better than orally). The best things you could take to counter vitamin D are vitamins A and K2, but without having a bigger picture of vitamin D status aside from a single blood test, I would not recommend supplementing with those because they are fat soluble as well and can be overdone just like vitamin D.

Topical magnesium oil or lotion can be put on your skin multiple times throughout the day, especially at night to improve sleep or on muscles that are sore. Apply liberally...there is no real upper limit on how much or how often you can apply it on your skin, especially if it has positive effects. If you decide to take oral magnesium, that is a different story; too much oral magnesium typically causes diarrhea. As with any supplement, if it makes you feel worse, then stop using it.

I have tried both of these, but there are plenty of options out there:
Mg Lotion
Mg Oil

The oil stings the skin, so you may need to put some kind of lotion or moisturizer on before application. The lotion does not sting at all, but it has a very fake vanilla smell to it and leaves your skin feeling a bit sticky.

OP
N

nostalgic

If you think you have high vitamin D, the safest thing you can take is magnesium (topically is probably better than orally). The best things you could take to counter vitamin D are vitamins A and K2, but without having a bigger picture of vitamin D status aside from a single blood test, I would not recommend supplementing with those because they are fat soluble as well and can be overdone just like vitamin D.

Topical magnesium oil or lotion can be put on your skin multiple times throughout the day, especially at night to improve sleep or on muscles that are sore. Apply liberally...there is no real upper limit on how much or how often you can apply it on your skin, especially if it has positive effects. If you decide to take oral magnesium, that is a different story; too much oral magnesium typically causes diarrhea. As with any supplement, if it makes you feel worse, then stop using it.

I have tried both of these, but there are plenty of options out there:
Mg Lotion
Mg Oil

The oil stings the skin, so you may need to put some kind of lotion or moisturizer on before application. The lotion does not sting at all, but it has a very fake vanilla smell to it and leaves your skin feeling a bit sticky.
Is it safe to eat a lot of raw carrots and cooked kale to give some A and k2? Or can I overdose on these vitamins from vegetables as well?

I'll use a lot of magnesium oil today then. Cheers.

Last edited:
I take 50000 units sometimes with no ill effects. I also take 10 or 15mg K2 and 20000 units of A and a few drops of liquid E topically. My levels were 30ng last time I checked as I had stopped taking D3 for months so I started back up again.

mmb82

Is it safe to eat a lot of raw carrots and cooked kale to give some A and k2? Or can I overdose on these vitamins from vegetables as well?

I'll use a lot of magnesium oil today then. Cheers.

The pre-formed versions of A and K (from animal and fermented foods) are going to be more effective and the body is not the most efficient at converting the fruit and vegetable forms of vitamin A into retinol. The vitamin K in plant foods is K1 unless the plant food was fermented and has different functions in the body than K2.

That said, you could never overdose A and K if you get them from plant foods, but you might not get enough A either if your body cannot perform the conversion. Getting a lot of vitamin A (beta-carotene) from plant foods might turn your skin yellowish and the research on high consumption of beta-carotene is mixed. Ray says a large amount of beta-carotene is anti-thyroid.

OP
N

nostalgic

The pre-formed versions of A and K (from animal and fermented foods) are going to be more effective and the body is not the most efficient at converting the fruit and vegetable forms of vitamin A into retinol. The vitamin K in plant foods is K1 unless the plant food was fermented and has different functions in the body than K2.

That said, you could never overdose A and K if you get them from plant foods, but you might not get enough A either if your body cannot perform the conversion. Getting a lot of vitamin A (beta-carotene) from plant foods might turn your skin yellowish and the research on high consumption of beta-carotene is mixed. Ray says a large amount of beta-carotene is anti-thyroid.
Maybe liverwurst would be a good way to increase my vitamin A then.

For the symptoms I'm experiencing, it seems a magnesium deficiency is the most probable culprit, but I could be wrong.

mmb82

Maybe liverwurst would be a good way to increase my vitamin A then.

For the symptoms I'm experiencing, it seems a magnesium deficiency is the most probable culprit, but I could be wrong.

Liver is good, but is high in copper and iron, so I would not overdo it. Once every two weeks might still be too much depending on your copper and iron status. If it makes you feel worse, then stop eating it.
Adding magnesium and removing vitamin D is a good and safe place to start in my opinion. Again, if it makes you feel worse when adding magnesium, stop using it. I noticed improved sleep almost immediately when I added topical magnesium. It was not panacea, but it did help me sleep through the night without waking.

OP
N

nostalgic

Liver is good, but is high in copper and iron, so I would not overdo it. Once every two weeks might still be too much depending on your copper and iron status. If it makes you feel worse, then stop eating it.
Adding magnesium and removing vitamin D is a good and safe place to start in my opinion. Again, if it makes you feel worse when adding magnesium, stop using it. I noticed improved sleep almost immediately when I added topical magnesium. It was not panacea, but it did help me sleep through the night without waking.
I'm not sure I'd like liver so I'll try some liverwurst first. Thanks for your replies. No more Vitamin D for me now, and I'll pay close attention to how my body tolerates the magnesium.

I had vitamin D borderline high after supplementation, I felt like garbage, made no difference at all (maybe even made me feel worse). I stopped caring about it afterwards. Haven't tested or supplemented in years. I spend time in sunlight on holidays, and when I'm outside cycling. That should be enough time to synthesize some, and if not, f^ck it. No one measures the active 1,25 - Dihidroxy form anyway, just 25-OH-D3 which means nothing at all.. Useless lab test, mostly useless supplementation. IMO of course.

MoonDay

I thought the vitamin d was almost the cure all kind of thing according to ray and i don't know how to feel about the mixed opinions here...

jaakkima

Anyone know what's ideal PTH suppression? I just got a lab back, PTH at 13 which looks great I guess. I think Mg helped raise my D3 from 21 to 52 in about a month.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals