Topical DHEA for hair loss?!?

keytothecity

I think it's because DHEA has been implicated in hair loss, just as your title reads. My concern is that DHEA is high in young balding men. It's also high in PCOS balding women. It's known to increase estrogen and higher doses. In the email depository, Ray is quoted as saying DHEA can cause oily skin and sex dreams.
I am more skeptical of using topical DHEA on my scalp than I am using topical testosterone. However, Ray could be right, he usually is.
dhea raises t:epitestosterone which is already high in balding scalps too

Jack Earth

the regrowth on nandrolone thing is interesting
Its interesting but can you stay on that long term? Because if you do cycles of deca and then get on trt when you cycle off you'll lose the hair benefit. I wonder if you can replace trt with low dose nandro

dhea raises t:epitestosterone which is already high in balding scalps too

It could work theoretically, if our 17a-HSD enzyme (the proposed pathway for Epi-T synthesis) was functional as it should be. But then we wouldn't be dealing with this problem in the first place.

1603868314079.png

ReSTART

I have some PanSterone, 1.25mg pregnenolone and DHEA per drop, would it work for beard growth? I was thinking of applying after doing 1.5mm microneedling to increase absorption.

Mossy

I have some PanSterone, 1.25mg pregnenolone and DHEA per drop, would it work for beard growth? I was thinking of applying after doing 1.5mm microneedling to increase absorption.
Maybe you’ve micro-needled before and are ok with it, but if not I can share that using 1.5mm across all the beard area may be too painful.

Here is a reccomendation I’ve copied from a place I can’t remember:

Treatment area
Needle depth / mm
Forehead0.25 - 0.5
Eye sockets0.25
Nose0.25 - 0.5
Upper lip0.25 - 1.0
Temple0.25 1.0
Cheek0.5 - 1.0 (* 2.0)
Pine0.5 - 1.0
Chin0.5 - 1.0
Neck0.5 - 1.0 (* 2.0)
Cleavage0.5 - 1.0 (* 2.0)
Hand surface0.5 - 1.0 (* 2.0)
* Physicians can work up to 2.0 mm needle depth

I’m not sure how accurate this is, but it may help as well:
1612089915302.png

ReSTART

I’ve done 1.5mm before, I can take it, I go lighter on thinner areas of skin.

OP
G

Gungnir

Are you saying that topical means applied to the scalp ? Or just the skin ?
The question to Ray was about turning head hair from vellus to terminal, and his response was topical DHEA mixed with oil. I have started experimenting with it. I will post results in a few months.

Jack Earth

The question to Ray was about turning head hair from vellus to terminal, and his response was topical DHEA mixed with oil. I have started experimenting with it. I will post results in a few months.
He didnt say add progesterone too?

BrianF

What oil are you using?

OP
G

Gungnir

He didnt say add progesterone too?
Not in the recent podcast, but after reading through some of his old interviews I noticed he did recommend progesterone with it. I just ordered progesterone as well (product link below) to add with the DHEA solution. I'll keep everyone updated. I just zero guard shaved my head so applying it and watching progress is quite easy.

Amazon product ASIN B0777X3J6B

Jack Earth

Not in the recent podcast, but after reading through some of his old interviews I noticed he did recommend progesterone with it. I just ordered progesterone as well (product link below) to add with the DHEA solution. I'll keep everyone updated. I just zero guard shaved my head so applying it and watching progress is quite easy.

Amazon product ASIN B0777X3J6B
You'll be the first I know of to do this experiment. It's weird because its the ray peat forum but nobody follows his hair advice. they just create their own experiments and then go mia without showing progress.

BrianF

You'll be the first I know of to do this experiment. It's weird because its the ray peat forum but nobody follows his hair advice. they just create their own experiments and then go mia without showing progress.
I wasn't aware Ray had recommended prog for hairloss. That said, I was aware that Haidut had posted studies that showed prog had regrown hair. I experimented with this myself for three months last year with mixed results. Mainly that after application, my scalp noticeably loosened from its tight state (probably fibrosis caused) and remained loose for up to 12 hours, sometimes longer. I didnt have much prog and the study he cited seemed to suggest a twice weekly application, then perhaps I simply did not use enough and /or for long enough.

OP
G

Gungnir

Yeah I am pretty serious about regrowing my hair. I can still see my hair follicles, they just produce thin almost colorless hairs though. But the fact that I still have so many hairs on my head (some smaller than others) motivates me to figure out how to trigger my follicles to stop shrinking. I refuse to accept that hair follicles cannot become bigger/productive again. It just doesn't make sense.

OP
G

Gungnir

I wasn't aware Ray had recommended prog for hairloss. That said, I was aware that Haidut had posted studies that showed prog had regrown hair. I experimented with this myself for three months last year with mixed results. Mainly that after application, my scalp noticeably loosened from its tight state (probably fibrosis caused) and remained loose for up to 12 hours, sometimes longer. I didnt have much prog and the study he cited seemed to suggest a twice weekly application, then perhaps I simply did not use enough and /or for long enough.
You'd think after the demi-gods (Ray and Haidut) said DHEA and prog regrows hair everyone on here would start doing it. I guess not though?

Did the prog affect the topical condition of your scalp skin? For example, I noticed as I got older and started to recede the skin in the corners of my scalp was shiny and almost bumpy(ish) looking. Ideally prog + DHEA can restore skin to a more youthful state.

Mossy

I will start this now and see how it goes. Topical DHEA (200mg DHEA in 4 ml MCT oil)
Wow. Is this a dose of 200mg DHEA every application/daily?

Mossy

You'd think after the demi-gods (Ray and Haidut) said DHEA and prog regrows hair everyone on here would start doing it. I guess not though?

Did the prog affect the topical condition of your scalp skin? For example, I noticed as I got older and started to recede the skin in the corners of my scalp was shiny and almost bumpy(ish) looking. Ideally prog + DHEA can restore skin to a more youthful state.
Glad to hear you’re trying this and sharing your results. There is another thread on this forum where someone is claiming success with topical prog and T3, on the scalp.

Based on the mentioned thread, I’ve tried topical prog and DHEA, for about a month, but nothing to report aside from slight feminizing effects of prog–lower libido, softer skin, and more emotional. My DHEA is topical on the face and forehead, but not on the scalp. I was adding the DHEA to counter the prog, not specifically for hair/scalp. But I think it’s good that you are trying it for that. It’s been on my need to try list for a while. It just messes with my hormonal balance so much.

Mossy

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals