Anyone Had Success With Reversal Of Grey Hair?

Janna

Hello,

I am new to this forum. But I did read all I could find here on grey hair reversal. Did anyone had success with DHEA? Or with anything else?

I had partial success taking large doses of hyaluronic acid (HA), and about 50% of my grey hair (50% of total) got reversed. I was very happy. However some nine months after that, I had side effects from HA, and had to discontinue. It has been four months off HA, and my once reversed hair start having grey roots back again. Ouch!

At the same time I started on a mega dose of vitamins to shrink a lipoma that I had recently discovered on my back. I read Abram Hoffer book - Ray speaks highly of him - on orthomolecular medicine, and decided to follow the regimen he recommends. It's been 12 days on C (9g), B3 (500mg) and A 25,000iu, Zn (30mg), Mg (500mg). And I started noticing tiny dark roots showing on the grey strands that were not affected by HA. I'd say it's about 10% of the greys that have those tiny dark roots. So I figure this mega dose regimen does that. My understanding is that it's likely vitamin A that contributes to that. Am I right? Vitamin A together with thyroid hormone is needed to produce all steroid hormones. And if RP reversed his eyebrows hair rubbing in vitamins E and A, it must be that same can be had taking it orally.

I am wondering what to do. Try DHEA or/and increase dose of vitamin A, and see how I feel? And yes, I know about copper and thyroid. I am eating dark chocolate, oysters and taking dry maca root. I am low in iron - the lowest range of normal. I've been experimenting with NDT, and still am in early stages. My TSH was 2.1 two years in a raw. T4 at the low range of "normal".

I had taken pregnenolone for a bout 40 days. And it didn't do anything to the colour. Albeit dissolved in olive oil it helped regrow a bold spot in my once plucked eyebrow. So no bold patch any more.

Many thanks to everyone to their help and advice.

managing

Hi Janna, and welcome. I don't have any answers, but I am interested in the question, so thought I'd bump this.

saene

I have noticed that when I have hypothyroid symptoms - fatigue, cold feet and I supplement thyroid the hairs that are gray start to grow black again. So i have some strands that are gray on the bottom but black on top... just an observation. I have read that Dr Peat recommended a copper solution to turn hair dark again but must be used with caution. Interested in other experiences as well.

Optimus

Interesting to note about your HA and mega vitamin dose experiences. What side effects did you get from HA?

Do you feel itching near the areas which are gray because I feel that some sort of local inflammation might be at play and I seem to find those areas give slight itchy feel . I have noticed few hair reversing color but don’t what lead to that.

OP
Janna

Janna

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Saene - yes, I am doing just that - supplementing with thyroid, NDT form, but it's very early stages, and I am taking very little just to get used first.

Optimus - the side effects from HA. At around the beginning of me starting taking it, last February, I got into A&E with labyrinthitis, which is inflammation of inner ear. Severe vertigo with vomiting, apparently caused by a virus. The very awful initial dizziness gradually subsided into a milder form of dizziness. And over the next 8-9 months I was on and off dizzy. A lot of the times it felt like I was floating in the air. But having educated myself on labyrinthitis, I came to conclude that it had nothing to do with HA, and I continued taking it. So after around 8th month I developed very painful joint in my right hand, and the pain was there every day for a month, then numbness all the way from elbow to the painful joint in hand. I went to see GP, as the numbness in arm was on and off. Once at Whole Foods I tried to get some olive oil from a shelf, and I thought I was taking the bottle, but I missed it by a quarter of an inch, and it smashed. The same week I was getting a bottle of wine from my shopping cart to place it onto a self scanning device, and again I missed by a tiny bit, and the bottle fell and smashed. Two smashed bottles in a week, with me thinking that I was taking them properly, and missing it. Something was really wrong. So I stopped HA. And got round to reading lots to understand what was happening. Our GPs here for the most part are useless. I started taking lots of fresh turmeric and ginger, vitamins, minerals, thus found Ray Peat and his teachings, incorporated some of them, and thank God no more dizziness, no more painful joint or numbness in right arm and no more smashed bottles. :)

Last edited:

managing

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Saene - yes, I am doing just that - supplementing with thyroid, NDT form, but it's very early stages, and I am taking very little just to get used first.

Optimus - the side effects from HA. At around the beginning of me starting taking it, last February, I got into A&E with labyrinthitis, which is inflammation of inner ear. Severe vertigo with vomiting, apparently caused by a virus. The very awful initial dizziness gradually subsided into a milder form of dizziness. And over the next 8-9 months I was on and off dizzy. A lot of the times it felt like I was floating in the air. But having educated myself on labyrinthitis, I came to conclude that it had nothing to do with HA, and I continued taking it. So after around 8th month I developed very painful joint in my right hand, and the pain was there every day for a month, then numbness all the way from elbow to the painful joint in hand. I went to see GP, as the numbness in arm was on and off. Once at Whole Foods I tried to get some olive oil from a shelf, and I thought I was taking the bottle, but I missed it by a quarter of an inch, and it smashed. The same week I was getting a bottle of wine from my shopping cart to place it onto a self scanning device, and again I missed by a tiny bit, and the bottle fell and smashed. Two smashed bottles in a week, with me thinking that I was taking them properly, and missing it. Something was really wrong. So I stopped HA. And got round to reading lots to understand what was happening. Our GPs here for the most part are useless. I started taking lots of fresh turmeric and ginger, vitamins, minerals, thus found Ray Peat and his teachings, incorporated some of them, and thank God no more dizziness, no more painful joint or numbness in right arm and no more smashed bottles. :)
Aside: Yes, go slowly with the thyroid. Its a great and valuable supplement, but easy to screw up. IMHO, never wait less than 2 weeks after a dosage change to assess the effects.

Frankdee20

Isn’t some copper and Tyrosine helpful

YourUniverse

Ray wrote in his publication "generative energy" that his eyebrows were restored from white back to dark brown with large amounts of copper. Eyebrows were useful because they grow to full length then fall out and are replaced.

OP
Janna

Janna

Ray wrote in his publication "generative energy" that his eyebrows were restored from white back to dark brown with large amounts of copper. Eyebrows were useful because they grow to full length then fall out and are replaced.

He said it didn't apply to his side burns. I understood that only 10% of hairs on his side burns got reversed, and he said he figured it depended on stage of hair growth. Eyebrow hairs have much shorter life cycles than scalp hair, and hence copper was instantly effective.

Frankdee20

Uhhh, what do you know about reversing grey hair?

[just a joke about your avatar, nothing more :):]

I actually have a few greys, but my reference recalls reading Ray talk about using copper. Someone already mentioned that exact source, thanks.

managing

I actually have a few greys, but my reference recalls reading Ray talk about using copper. Someone already mentioned that exact source, thanks.
Sorry, I was worried the joke would miss its mark. Its your avatar. The guy is all grey. Just a joke about that. Its all good.

D

danishispsychic

I don't have a lot of grey but chugging shots of blackstrap molasses each day , reduced it a lot.

artlange

about 4 months after 2x blood donations, when I was getting ready for another donation, I noticed a patch of brown hair growing in on the top of my head, after the third donation I also noticed that my facial hair above lip was coming in dark. My eyebrows changed from grey to almost comopletely brown. Now about 18 months after starting to donate blood, my hair is about 60% brown on the top, and about 85% grey on the side. I have been supplementing with low dose copper, and also eating shellfish once a week. (diet very low PUFA)

Conclusion: reducing iron stores correlates with more brown hair growing in.

YourUniverse

about 4 months after 2x blood donations, when I was getting ready for another donation, I noticed a patch of brown hair growing in on the top of my head, after the third donation I also noticed that my facial hair above lip was coming in dark. My eyebrows changed from grey to almost comopletely brown. Now about 18 months after starting to donate blood, my hair is about 60% brown on the top, and about 85% grey on the side. I have been supplementing with low dose copper, and also eating shellfish once a week. (diet very low PUFA)

Conclusion: reducing iron stores correlates with more brown hair growing in.
Sexcellent.

OP
Janna

Janna

Thank you, Artlange. How exciting! Congratulations!
In my case I am low iron already, nearly deficient. And I actually suppliment iron occasionally when I feel the fatigue closes in on me.

Might it be something else related? New blood cells?

OP
Janna

Janna

I read in a book written by two doctors, PhDs in biochemistry, saying that it was vitamin E that reversed both of their hair from grey to brown. I also see an improvement in my grey count, and I have been taking E for 3-4 months. However I cannot take E throughout the cycle, it inhibits estrogen.

OP
Janna

Janna

And given the new findings, it fits the vitamin E story. Apparently in the conditions of excess H2O2, a by product of oxidation, the load becomes toxic and destroys terosinaise, an enzyme producing hair pigment. Catalase and glutathione peroxydase are supposed to neutralise H2O2, but are over burdened, and don’t do their job. Then there’s the “doctor” enzyme that is also over loaded.

In theory the solution should include a) anti oxidants such as E to reduce the H2O2 load, b) consumption of amino acids and co-factors responsible for production of those enzymes. Ray says to add copper for this reason; copper is a co factor of tyrosinase, but so are amino acids, hence importance of adequate protein in the diet.

Selenium, cysteine and glutamine are co factors of glutathione peroxydase. Interestingly, catalase has iron as a co factor. But adding iron isn’t a solution, according to Ray. Hmm I read that in yeast cultures H2O2 challenge boosts catalase levels significantly. Anyone tried adding H2O2 drops? I think this is what H2O2 therapy is all about. They start with a few drops and increase it, hence it’s a challenge.

artlange

Janna
Reducing iron seemed related to less gray hair in my case, and since I still have some gray, is is apparent other factors are involved.

We will probably discover that several factors are involved causing gray hair, and until all the causes are resolved, we will continue to have gray hair. I will take it as a good sign some of the gray has disappeared for me by donating blood. For me, less iron may have many other beneficial effects that are less visible than hair color. I clearly have more work to do to reverse many years of ageing as visible in the remaining gray hair.

Dear, Janna

About your grey hair and how to treat it:

Cause:
Accumulation of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) bleaches human hair when methionine sulfoxide is insufficient to repair it.

"Senile graying of human hair has been the subject of intense research since ancient times. Reactive oxygen species have been implicated in hair follicle melanocyte apoptosis and DNA damage. Here we show for the first time by FT-Raman spectroscopy in vivo that human gray/white scalp hair shafts accumulate hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in millimolar concentrations. Moreover, we demonstrate almost absent catalase and methionine sulfoxide reductase A and B protein expression via immunofluorescence and Western blot in association with a functional loss of methionine sulfoxide (Met-S=O) repair in the entire gray hair follicle. Accordingly, Met-S=O formation of Met residues, including Met 374 in the active site of tyrosinase, the key enzyme in melanogenesis, limits enzyme functionality, as evidenced by FT-Raman spectroscopy, computer simulation, and enzyme kinetics, which leads to gradual loss of hair color. Notably, under in vitro conditions, Met oxidation can be prevented by l-methionine. In summary, our data feed the long-voiced, but insufficiently proven, concept of H2O2-induced oxidative damage in the entire human hair follicle, inclusive of the hair shaft, as a key element in senile hair graying, which does not exclusively affect follicle melanocytes. This new insight could open new strategies for intervention and reversal of the hair graying process.

https://www.fasebj.org/doi/abs/10.1096/fj.08-125435

Possible solution:
Choline-related supplements improve abnormal plasma methionine-homocysteine metabolites and glutathione status in children with cystic fibrosis.

Objective: The objective was to address a possible relation between altered methionine-homocysteine metabolism and choline metabolism in children with CF.

"Supplementation with lecithin, choline, or betaine resulted in a significant increase in plasma methionine, SAM, SAM:SAH, and glutathione:GSSG and a decrease in SAH ..."

Choline-related supplements improve abnormal plasma methionine-homocysteine metabolites and glutathione status in children with cystic fibrosis. - PubMed - NCBI

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals