The more people exercise, the lazier they are throughout the rest of the day, study suggests

ALS

IMO, rest is necessary after exertion -

The more time you spend engaging in a structured exercise routine, such as going to the gym or running, the more likely you are to cut back on other physical daily activities, according to a recent study.

This decline in physical activities could affect people's ability to lose weight successfully even if they participate in a routine exercise program, according to the study, which was published in the journal Current Nutrition Reports.

IMO, rest is necessary after exertion -

The more time you spend engaging in a structured exercise routine, such as going to the gym or running, the more likely you are to cut back on other physical daily activities, according to a recent study.

This decline in physical activities could affect people's ability to lose weight successfully even if they participate in a routine exercise program, according to the study, which was published in the journal Current Nutrition Reports.
I believe this. When I use to go to the gym I was hungrier all day too.

“Most people feel fatigued and tired while performing exercise. It is normal to be sore, sweaty, and tired after you exercise. Feeling ill or weak after exercising is not normal. You may be feeling exhausted after a workout and even the next day, but you should recover quickly. If you are not recovering or are more tired than normal, this could be a sign that your workout was too intense and demanding on your body.”

“In a prior research study, this decline in daily physical activity resulted in subjects losing 22% less weight than expected from their exercise training program, according to a news release from the university.”

"Sixty-seven percent of studies reported less-than-expected weight loss, which was not explained by the change in energy intake, but likely NEPA," Mansfeldt told Fox News Digital.

“The study also noted that dietary compensation might occur with increased structured exercise, where people eat more after completing a workout — which then increases their energy (calorie) intake, though this compensation was less common.”

Pete Rey

When I was powerlifting I was always choosing between lifting in the morning and dragging the rest of the day, or lifting in the evening leading to less than optimal sleep. In hindsight it should have been obvious that that behavior was not going to support a healthy metabolism.

Osukhan

These are the articles that give people an excuse not to workout, sorry not sorry
I love working out in the morning and feel great for the rest of the day....maybe i am biased
I also used to workout after putting the kids to bed, and did that for years as well without any issues
Sometimes it just takes time to establish good habits

These are the articles that give people an excuse not to workout, sorry not sorry
I love working out in the morning and feel great for the rest of the day....maybe i am biased
I also used to workout after putting the kids to bed, and did that for years as well without any issues
Sometimes it just takes time to establish good habits
I haven’t been to the gym, rat wheel, in over 30 years and feel much better for it. My exercise is moving around, getting stuff done all day, and maybe taking a 4 mile walk to dinner and back. It always baffles me how men pay someone to mow their lawn and then pay to go to gym. A friend convinced me to go to the gym earlier this year and I was surprised to see so may unfit people there, with a few overly muscular men, and a few really scrawny ones. I see more fit people in the parks.

“To date most research on obesity has focused on studying those with a high body mass index (BMI), but a research group in China is taking a different approach. In a study published July 14 in the journal Cell Metabolism, the scientists looked at individuals with a very low BMI. Their findings reveal that these individuals are actually considerably less active than people with a BMI in the normal range, contrary to speculation that they have a metabolism that makes them naturally more active. Additionally, they eat less food than those with a normal BMI.

"We expected to find that these people are really active and to have high activity metabolic rates matched by high food intakes," says corresponding author John Speakman, a professor at the Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology in China and the University of Aberdeen in the UK. "It turns out that something rather different is going on. They had lower food intakes and lower activity, as well as surprisingly higher-than-expected resting metabolic rates linked to elevated levels of their thyroid hormones."”

I do a very light routine in the morning before breakfast: a 10 minute walk, jump rope 150-300 revolutions depending on the day, arm circles (dynamic stretching), dead hang 1 minute, and 12 reps of pendlay rows (very light weight, only 10 pounds)

In the late afternoon before dinner i rotate between hiit (high intensity interval training) one day, and conditioning the next day.

Hiit for me consists of a league tennis match, immediately followed by 150 revolutions of jump rope and (currently) 6 sprints (20 seconds full-speed, 10 seconds rest, 6 times)

Conditioning days currently consist of boxing training followed by conditioning (calisthenics and minimal weight lifting). The boxing training is anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours with a 15 minute break in-between. The subsequent conditioning lasts for about 30 minutes.

I always take at least 1 day off per week, and sometimes 2 days off.

I recover fast, i’m rarely ever sore or stiff.

I feel great afterwards. I always tell people that my routine actually gives me energy, rather than takes away.

I’m slowly gaining the muscle i need, in order to help prevent age-related illnesses. And i’m learning how to defend myself. I’m also gaining more confidence in life. And enjoying the comradery at the gym.

I often go out in the evening after workouts/dinner. I sleep very well. I feel energized the next morning.

Also one of my businesses is carpet and upholstery cleaning. I am self-employed, working alone. I work this business 2 days per week on average. And that’s hard work.

Really the only thing that makes me tired is if i do something wrong with my diet.

Tips: Don’t workout at night, or you will have a hard time getting to sleep. Don’t workout hard in the morning before breakfast. Eat well but don’t exercise on a full-stomach. Don’t follow the “no pain, no gain” mentality. If you weight lift, start very light. I spent years doing very minimal workouts at home.. much lighter than what i was capable of.. but i was very consistent for years.

Last edited:
I find the opposite.. lifting weights makes me more productive in the day.
I think lifting weights can be a good thing, like stretching, but the heavy cardio not so much, and enjoying it makes a difference too. Runners do not have a happy look on their face, ever!

Peater

Funny to see this thread, I went for a run last night for what it turns out was the first time in years. Aching today. I was surprised how much my stamina had faded. I assumed a pro-metabolic diet would be somewhat protective. I also did miles and miles of hiking over the summer.

In the end, rather than plod along slowly I just did intervals which I enjoy more

It makes me think though, wasn't Ray quite sedentary? Although he did the forestry work in his younger days, that was before he developed his ideas.

Funny to see this thread, I went for a run last night for what it turns out was the first time in years. Aching today. I was surprised how much my stamina had faded. I assumed a pro-metabolic diet would be somewhat protective. I also did miles and miles of hiking over the summer.

In the end, rather than plod along slowly I just did intervals which I enjoy more

It makes me think though, wasn't Ray quite sedentary? Although he did the forestry work in his younger days, that was before he developed his ideas.
Before finding Peat 6 years ago when I would do that 4 to 5 mile brisk walk to town for dinner, I would be out of breath and achy for days afterwards, but not anymore. When I went to the gym with my friend earlier this year, for TWO HOURS, we did the incline treadmill for 15 minutes and I did most everything he did, just lighter weights and more reps and he was surprised I wasn’t sore AT ALL the next day, and I am SIXTY. Maybe a dose of Progest-E helped, but I heal from injuries so quick now too, without any scars. I think all the raw milk I drink has made a big difference in my health. Interestingly my friend goes to the gym regularly for hours, eats lots of nuts, grains, chicken, and avoids dairy, sugar and beef and is overweight.

Ginali

Forum Supporter
Working in the garden, taking a dog for a walk in the forest, games with children are the best! Interestingly, I experienced an unexpected side effect from my gym workouts - I noticed a decline in my mental sharpness. I know it might sound amusing to some of you, or funny, but the more I exercised, the less mental work I seemed to be able to do.

I think lifting weights can be a good thing, like stretching, but the heavy cardio not so much, and enjoying it makes a difference too. Runners do not have a happy look on their face, ever!
1701449323721.jpeg
Yes. take a look at sprinters compared to endurance runners.The current wisdom is that as we age, we lose muscle.. so why encourage muscle loss with endurance training? Hiit via sprints works fast-twitch muscles.

Working in the garden, taking a dog for a walk in the forest, games with children are the best! Interestingly, I experienced an unexpected side effect from my gym workouts - I noticed a decline in my mental sharpness. I know it might sound amusing to some of you, or funny, but the more I exercised, the less mental work I seemed to be able to do.
It isn’t amusing at all…

“Mental fatigue can be defined as a psychobiological state caused by prolonged exertion that has the potential to reduce cognitive performance and exercise performance. Recent studies have given clear indications that brain catecholamines are involved in the onset of fatigue during endurance exercise.”

Rucking is supposed to be one of the best exercises ever.
Regarding your gym/mental sharpness issue: did you take a few years to slowly and lightly ease your way into working out at the gym, or did you go full-force into it? Did you workout heavily in the morning on an empty stomach? Etc

View attachment 58807Yes. take a look at sprinters compared to endurance runners.The current wisdom is that as we age, we lose muscle.. so why encourage muscle loss with endurance training? Hiit via sprints works fast-twitch muscles.
Yeah look at difference in the legs too! There is a heavier guy that runs past my house sometimes and he has the worst look on his face, and the noises that come out of him sounds like a heart attack is chasing him. As a matter of fact I haven’t seen him lately. Here are a couple of runner’s faces for fun!

1701450175344.jpeg

1701450142260.jpeg

Peater

Before finding Peat 6 years ago when I would do that 4 to 5 mile brisk walk to town for dinner, I would be out of breath and achy for days afterwards, but not anymore. When I went to the gym with my friend earlier this year, for TWO HOURS, we did the incline treadmill for 15 minutes and I did most everything he did, just lighter weights and more reps and he was surprised I wasn’t sore AT ALL the next day, and I am SIXTY. Maybe a dose of Progest-E helped, but I heal from injuries so quick now too, without any scars. I think all the raw milk I drink has made a big difference in my health. Interestingly my friend goes to the gym regularly for hours, eats lots of nuts, grains, chicken, and avoids dairy, sugar and beef and is overweight.

That's good to know, I don't know people enough on this forum to know who works out (Apart from @FitnessMike !)

My background to finding here is fitness/paleo rather than pure biology/science. Although I haven't trained properly in years since I hurt my shoulder. I'm very all or nothing, if I can't train what I want to train, how I want to train then I'm not interested.

That's good to know, I don't know people enough on this forum to know who works out (Apart from @FitnessMike !)

My background to finding here is fitness/paleo rather than pure biology/science. Although I haven't trained properly in years since I hurt my shoulder. I'm very all or nothing, if I can't train what I want to train, how I want to train then I'm not interested.
That one time to the gym earlier this year was the only time I have been to gym in thirty years.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals