The more people exercise, the lazier they are throughout the rest of the day, study suggests

Peater

That one time to the gym earlier this year was the only time I have been to gym in thirty years.

If you were doing isolation exercises it's quite impressive you didn't ache at all as they obviously target specific muscles that can be rarely used.

My calves are sore today as I run fore-foot, hobbling like a 90 year old. :D But it was good, glad I did it. It was about 5 miles.

If you were doing isolation exercises it's quite impressive you didn't ache at all as they obviously target specific muscles that can be rarely used.

My calves are sore today as I run fore-foot, hobbling like a 90 year old. :D But it was good, glad I did it. It was about 5 miles.
I have to admit I am impressed too! As hard as I worked out, doing all of those different machines, about a dozen of them, I thought for sure I was going to pay for it the next day, like I did in the past, but the fact I didn’t feel anything next day, made me realize how healthy and balanced I really am. My body is so forgiving nowadays. If twist my ankle it only hurts for a few minutes, if I get a burn it goes away quick, and I never bruise anymore either like I did the last three decades.

OP
ALS

ALS

If you increase your activity, it probably follows you must increase your protein, carbs, and to a lesser extent, fats. This might be where some of the fatigue is coming from.

I use a pool 1-2x a week for 40 min. to get some activity in (back injury limits what I can do). I also do weights.

One video on YT - guy states he swam every day for a month. Mentions that his heart rate slowed (as if that's a good thing) video is cued to that point.
View: https://youtu.be/fZqPYoV_bwc?t=224

I know not to overdo the swimming, even tho it's a good concentric exercise.

OP
ALS

ALS

Before finding Peat 6 years ago when I would do that 4 to 5 mile brisk walk to town for dinner, I would be out of breath and achy for days afterwards, but not anymore.
I climbed Adam's Peak in Sri Lanka when I had untreated hypothyroidism. 7km up a mainly stepped footpath (around 5500 steps). 3 hours up, 1 hour down. Thankfully, there are tea stalls with seating every 200 feet or so. I was flat on my back for 3 days after. Didn't lose any weight either. I had (and still do, but it's improving) a relatively low appetite. Things are somewhat better these days.

YourUniverse

Its been known for a long time now, exercise reduces NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). This is why "burning calories" has never been the play for weight loss, instead you want to eat well, sleep well and build muscles to burn more at rest.

FitnessMike

I have 3 words to say - gym is amazinggg!!

There is nothing better than being strong, sexy and athletic at least from a guys point of view.

Saying that, i had to stop training due to obvious reasons, cant wait to get back in there.

I climbed Adam's Peak in Sri Lanka when I had untreated hypothyroidism. 7km up a mainly stepped footpath (around 5500 steps). 3 hours up, 1 hour down. Thankfully, there are tea stalls with seating every 200 feet or so. I was flat on my back for 3 days after. Didn't lose any weight either. I had (and still do, but it's improving) a relatively low appetite. Things are somewhat better these days.
Maybe you didn’t lose any weight because you burned fat while gaining muscle, and comparatively in size muscle weighs more.

Ben.

These are the articles that give people an excuse not to workout, sorry not sorry

Dont be so quick to judge people. The reality is we have no idea about the physiological situation a person is in. Even when younger and working out alot with perfect eating and sleeping habits i kept getting terribly tired/fatigued all the time not realising that something was wrong.

Now with lyme or w/e disease i cant even do a few pushups without getting my battery drained for 1-3 days. If i commit to full workouts i get sick as a dog for weeks.

We should encourage movement/excersice adequate to the context but the pretentious superiority hustler attitude that some people have is just getting annoying and even hurts peolpe that dont know better.

OP
ALS

ALS

Maybe you didn’t lose any weight because you burned fat while gaining muscle, and comparatively in size muscle weighs more.
no - I have had a constant issue with weight gain due to Hashimoto's disease, which at that time was undiagnosed. Back then I had a rabid fear of sugar and caffeine and hadn't touched any in 11 years or so. I was a low carber and often fatigued. If muscle had been gained / fat burned I would have noticed. My poor muscles could not recover easily then.

Since going back to using sugars (2018), my recovery time from working out has reduced dramatically. I used to get something akin to rigor mortis from weight lifting, and I wasn't overdoing it. That would last up to 2-3 days, and so there were long gaps between gym visits. Doesn't happen now.

Osukhan

Dont be so quick to judge people. The reality is we have no idea about the physiological situation a person is in. Even when younger and working out alot with perfect eating and sleeping habits i kept getting terribly tired/fatigued all the time not realising that something was wrong.

Now with lyme or w/e disease i cant even do a few pushups without getting my battery drained for 1-3 days. If i commit to full workouts i get sick as a dog for weeks.

We should encourage movement/excersice adequate to the context but the pretentious superiority hustler attitude that some people have is just getting annoying and even hurts peolpe that dont know better.
I did not mean to make my response seem so judgemental, It was not my intention. Absolutely everyone has to start somewhere even if its just plain walking. But doing nothing is worse, acceptance of your situation is not the answer, and we need to encourage people to start exercising and encouraging them to eat right and no longer make excuses

Pete Rey

I did not mean to make my response seem so judgemental, It was not my intention. Absolutely everyone has to start somewhere even if its just plain walking. But doing nothing is worse, acceptance of your situation is not the answer, and we need to encourage people to start exercising and encouraging them to eat right and no longer make excuses
Metabolism is primary to fitness. One's metabolic situation dictates what degree of exercise one can tolerate. Exercise can enhance a healthy metabolism, but can also further damage a dysfunctional one. Refusal to accept this and powering through is how a lot of us dug our holes in the first place.

I am with Fitness Mike, I would love to be able to lift again without crashing or being injury-prone. And I think I will get there. Almost everyone can and should walk at a natural moderate pace, this we agree on. I believe the science bears this out on "zone 2" training, and in fact I have made this part of my recovery plan. Anything beyond that level of intensity, though, is a luxury for those already in a position of health to support it.

For most people it is not a question of laziness or motivation, though I can see how it may seem that way to someone who has never struggled metabolically. It is simply that they have been harmed more than helped by their attempts, which are likely informed by "Biggest Loser," secret Anavar-using social media influencers, and other cultural garbage.

TripleOG

Programming matters.

If the next day you felt like you got hit by a bus, you should probably dial it back.

FitnessMike

Truth

Hi, the word "lazy" has a negative connotation, whereas less movement can be associated with better health and relaxation in some aspects, and more movement can be associated with a lower degree of health and relaxation.

I've observed several associations in many cases, between people who are more active than they usually are and/or more active than others, and an inability to relax and feel good, and I've also observed this phenomenon in people taking certain "medications" such as ssri.

A few examples for fun:

Allegedly, the queen bee can live up to 5/7 years, while she commonly makes only one or two flights in her life to mate, the other female worker bees (95% of all bees) live 1 to 2 months during spring/summer, and they move and fly much more than the queen. Winter worker bees, which move much less than summer workers bees, can live up to 6 months.

Allegedly, babies in their first months sleep 14 to 16 hours a day, and move very little. They are often held up as an example of good health and "high metabolism", and seem healthier than many sports enthusiasts.

Allegedly, lions snooze/sleep and/or chill up to 18/20 hours a day, and are often seen as references of power, strength.

So whether the measures of health are growth, fertility, longevity, power, none of these attributes are necessarily associated with more movement, and in some cases more movement is associated with a reduction in these attributes.

Contextually, movement can be beneficial to an individual depending of our internal state,
if movement is not enjoyable, potentially slightly unpleasant, then it's most likely négative for us.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals