Really High Prolactin Levels

Waynish

Are you stressed or inspired about life? How's your work or school outlook? How's your bowel transit time? Did you go through a period of horniness in your teenage years?

Velve921

I usually go with some simple carbs like a banana/some milk, oranges etc. Sometimes I drink coffee since it makes me feel relaxed. Have tried salt, coconut oil, gelatin and milk like a lot recommend here but it doesn't do much.

As night time can be the most stressful, you may want to consider a large pre bed time meal that can calm the stress hormones. I like:

Ice cream - 1 cup
Fruit or OJ - 1 cup
Hard cheese - parmigiana reggiano
Milk - 1 cup
Gelatin - 2 tbsp
Salt - pinch to taste

Epsom salt bath - 1-4lbs

Sometimes giving the body everything can have a great effect.

PUTFOT

@PUTFOT Could it be that I did take the blood test 40 minutes after waking up? I've read that prolactin levels are highest during your sleep and after waking up so you should check it like 3-4 hours after waking up. At the same time it shouldn't be that high.

@Orion Ye I've pretty much done that diet wise and it didn't change one bit. My libido is never affected by diet. No matter how much calcium I get or salt or whatever.
I don't think so. Some hormones are highest in the morning so it should've been opposed if that was the case.

schultz

@PUTFOT Could it be that I did take the blood test 40 minutes after waking up? I've read that prolactin levels are highest during your sleep and after waking up so you should check it like 3-4 hours after waking up. At the same time it shouldn't be that high.

I was reading some studies on prolactin and they mentioned this actually. They had the participants blood drawn at least 2 hours after waking up.

Have you tried bromocriptine? It lowers prolactin and makes some peoples libido go up. I've never taken it myself so I cannot comment personally.

Also, cyproheptadine helps with sleep and can also lower nocturnal prolactin (I think!). If you take cyproheptadine, I don't know how you can not sleep. Stuff makes me sleep like nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
H

heaahde

Are you stressed or inspired about life? How's your work or school outlook? How's your bowel transit time? Did you go through a period of horniness in your teenage years?

Probably both. I try to be optimistic and positive, and I do find joy in life (some days I actually feel really happy). But it can turn over for the worse which is probably normal because everything can't be perfect. The things I tend to stress over is my health. So I feel like if I could get rid of these problems I would be much more relaxed and have a harder time to go anxious/stress-mode. Work is good, I'm young and haven't found "the" work, but I like my colleagues and the job is not stressful. I don't really pay attention to my bowel transit time so I can 't answer that! I don't remember exactly but I guess I was kind of horny as a teenager but nothing special (morning wood and spontaneous erections have never been a natural occurring thing in my life.

As night time can be the most stressful, you may want to consider a large pre bed time meal that can calm the stress hormones. I like:

Ice cream - 1 cup
Fruit or OJ - 1 cup
Hard cheese - parmigiana reggiano
Milk - 1 cup
Gelatin - 2 tbsp
Salt - pinch to taste

Epsom salt bath - 1-4lbs

Sometimes giving the body everything can have a great effect.

I have tried something like that and didn't really get any benefits out of it, but I will try it out because why not!

I was reading some studies on prolactin and they mentioned this actually. They had the participants blood drawn at least 2 hours after waking up.

Have you tried bromocriptine? It lowers prolactin and makes some peoples libido go up. I've never taken it myself so I cannot comment personally.

Also, cyproheptadine helps with sleep and can also lower nocturnal prolactin (I think!). If you take cyproheptadine, I don't know how you can not sleep. Stuff makes me sleep like nothing else.

I will probably do another prolactin test a little bit later in the morning when I get the money and time for it! Have not tried bromocriptine and not sure if I want to due to the side effects. Cypro seems interesting, will research about it first!

Velve921

Probably both. I try to be optimistic and positive, and I do find joy in life (some days I actually feel really happy). But it can turn over for the worse which is probably normal because everything can't be perfect. The things I tend to stress over is my health. So I feel like if I could get rid of these problems I would be much more relaxed and have a harder time to go anxious/stress-mode. Work is good, I'm young and haven't found "the" work, but I like my colleagues and the job is not stressful. I don't really pay attention to my bowel transit time so I can 't answer that! I don't remember exactly but I guess I was kind of horny as a teenager but nothing special (morning wood and spontaneous erections have never been a natural occurring thing in my life.

I have tried something like that and didn't really get any benefits out of it, but I will try it out because why not!

i understand the position you are in...looking for answers aggressively. I've been through some dark times in trying to figure out my troubles; don't get me wrong I do believe in supplements. But the supplements are nothing to me without the diet. I'm thankful to Dr. Peat as he taught me about the true power of nutrition.

The pre bed time combination has high quality but also high quantity. With my athletes, I use to try and clean up the diet from all angles but now I always focus on the pre bed time first as I believe this is the most bang for buck opportunity to support the metabolism.

Epsom salt (magnesium)
Salt (sodium)
Fruit (sucrose and potassium)
Gelatin (glycine)
Milk (lactose, calcium, saturated fat, casein, vitamins)
Ice cream (lactose, calcium, saturated fat)
Egg yolks (multivitamin)
Hard cheese (multivitamin and low stress protein)

To maximize the power of the cell I think about using all nutrients in one sitting as often as possible. I always eat my pre bed time meal until I'm plenty full; I would say try a large pre bed time meal for a month and keep a good eye on temp/pulse.

Stay positive bud...you will find answers and get through this.

Velve921

i understand the position you are in...looking for answers aggressively. I've been through some dark times in trying to figure out my troubles; don't get me wrong I do believe in supplements. But the supplements are nothing to me without the diet. I'm thankful to Dr. Peat as he taught me about the true power of nutrition.

The pre bed time combination has high quality but also high quantity. With my athletes, I use to try and clean up the diet from all angles but now I always focus on the pre bed time first as I believe this is the most bang for buck opportunity to support the metabolism.

Epsom salt (magnesium)
Salt (sodium)
Gelatin (glycine)
Egg yolks (multivitamin)

To maximize the power of the cell I think about using all nutrients in one sitting as often as possible. I always eat my pre bed time meal until I'm plenty full; I would say try a large pre bed time meal for a month and keep a good eye on temp/pulse.

Stay positive bud...you will find answers and get through

OP
H

heaahde

Epsom salt (magnesium)
Salt (sodium)
Gelatin (glycine)
Egg yolks (multivitamin)

Stay positive bud...you will find answers and get through

Thanks man, really! I will give it a try, always had this idea that eating too much right before bed interferes with your sleep and hormones which puts you in sleep. Just one question, I do have epsom salt at home. Do you ingest it or use topical? I never tried ingesting it

schultz

I will probably do another prolactin test a little bit later in the morning when I get the money and time for it! Have not tried bromocriptine and not sure if I want to due to the side effects. Cypro seems interesting, will research about it first!

Cypro makes me really groggy in the morning. What I found was that I can't take it right before bed. I found that a decent time to take it was around 3 or 4 PM; I'd be super tired by 10PM and in the morning a lot of the grogginess would have worn off.

Velve921

Thanks man, really! I will give it a try, always had this idea that eating too much right before bed interferes with your sleep and hormones which puts you in sleep. Just one question, I do have epsom salt at home. Do you ingest it or use topical? I never tried ingesting it

Food before bed increases thyroid function and opposes cortisol, adrenaline, estrogen, and prolactin.

1-4 lbs topically for 20-30 minutes in warm water, not hot. (Mix in bath water)

I do 5-7 baths a week.

OP
H

heaahde

Food before bed increases thyroid function and opposes cortisol, adrenaline, estrogen, and prolactin.

1-4 lbs topically for 20-30 minutes in warm water, not hot. (Mix in bath water)

I do 5-7 baths a week.
Sounds cool! I don't have a bath, but will a foot bath do, using a bucket?

shepherdgirl

Of course there could be many reasons for your high prolactin. One possibility is that you could have a microadenoma that puts out prolactin - this could be one reason why prolactin is still high despite diet, etc. There are some drugs that can sometimes shrink these or keep the prolactin level down. I think @tankisnowgod mentioned some of these.
I agree with @Ewlewy1 that eating before bed can help with sleep. Gelatin pudding with casein and lots of sugar and salt, as well as a taurine supplement, seem to have helped me a lot.

shepherdgirl

@heaahde - ah, sorry, i did read that you had an mri but i forgot it. As for whether you could still have one - i am no expert on this - but i think it is possible. Sometimes I think they are too small to see, so they look for structural deviations or "shadows" instead. But if they are too small i wouldn't think they'd put out too much prolactin either. Actually I don't think 26 is a very high number - it could easily be a very tiny one that they happened to miss. Even if they are convinced you have no adenoma, if your prolactin goes up they will probably want another look ($$$).
Not so sure that the treatment approach for a systemic high prolactin versus a microadenoma would differ all that much anyway, except for a more targeted drug to shrink the tumor in addition to all the other stuff you are trying.

shepherdgirl

@heaahde FYI:
Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) inhibits cell proliferation, induces apoptosis, and decreases hormone levels and secretion in pituitary tumor cells.
Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) inhibits cell proliferation, induces apoptosis, and decreases hormone levels and secretion in pituitary tumor cells. - PubMed - NCBI
FYI have also heard good things about liposomal curcumin, and also that piperine (black pepper) and fat are supposed to enhance curcumin effectiveness. The liposomal curcumin is pretty expensive - i saw a diy video online for it.

success23

It is the low estrogen. High prolactin can cause estrogen drop in women.. maybe for men its the same? Have you tried vitex as a supplement?

Last edited:
OP
H

heaahde

It is the low estrogen. High prolactin can cause estrogen drop in women.. maybe for men its the same? Have you tried vitex as a supplement?
Nope, haven't tried it! What do you mean about that, that my estrogen is low because of the prolactin, or my prolactin is high because of the low estrogen?
@heaahde FYI:
Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) inhibits cell proliferation, induces apoptosis, and decreases hormone levels and secretion in pituitary tumor cells.
Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) inhibits cell proliferation, induces apoptosis, and decreases hormone levels and secretion in pituitary tumor cells. - PubMed - NCBI
FYI have also heard good things about liposomal curcumin, and also that piperine (black pepper) and fat are supposed to enhance curcumin effectiveness. The liposomal curcumin is pretty expensive - i saw a diy video online for it.
That's interesting! Will look in to it :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals