Question about supplementing potassium

Ashs

I would aware if you see all the bicarbonate effecting your digestion.
Thanks for your response Charlie, much appreciated.
What are your thoughts on using "Glutathione ' supplements along with the big 5. (Niacin, Potassium, zinc,molybdenum, selenium)
What are the pros and cons.
Tnx.

I can’t imagine it is ever a good idea supplementing potassium except very occasionally. Just eating real food should get you potassium. I notice a world of difference between say potassium chloride and naturally-occurring potassium in foods. Supplementing anything seldom produces the results you want, sadly.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What are your thoughts on using "Glutathione '
I do not think its needed.
Are Potassium supplements ok to be used isolated, or better to be paired with Magnesium?
It is good to have a balance of these.
I can’t imagine it is ever a good idea supplementing potassium except very occasionally. Just eating real food should get you potassium. I notice a world of difference between say potassium chloride and naturally-occurring potassium in foods. Supplementing anything seldom produces the results you want, sadly.
We are seeing quite the opposite in the low "vitamin A" groups. With that said, slow and easy is the way.

OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
Today i just take for the first time 8g of an electrolyte mix (incl potassium) and had so much power at the training then i didnt had in weeks.

cs3000

Hey guys, I've been supplementing b1 for two years or so now. HCL, about 500-1000mg per day. I may well have used up my potassium reserves.
Potassium supplementation seems to be discouraged across the board.
If you don't track on a chronometer, is there a safe zone for potassium supplementation? And what is your opinion on the dangers?
Is basic potassium chloride OK?
Are Potassium supplements ok to be used isolated, or better to be paired with Magnesium?
Worth avoiding this in supplement form if youre taking it in meaningful amounts 1g+, best from food forms, its no joke & doesnt have easy reversal (i.e you often cant just stop to fix the problem like many other supplements the damage sticks)

A few years ago i was taking potassium at meal times for months trying to fix a heartbeat problem,
over time it burned a hole in my small intestine and years later it still hasnt healed.

if this happens to you every time you eat its gonna irritate the ulcer which continually interrupts healing. the inflammation response causes chronic constipation / swelling, your gut burns day to day, and you start slowly wasting away because you have to limit the calories you eat to prevent constant irritation. i think low vit d / iron / copper can worsen the damage / accelerate recovery with right amounts. but the ulcer bleeding and inflammation at the damaged place where you absorb nutrients = more loss, and because of the wound location you can't supplement properly to raise them without further damage so probably need infusions instead, its a mess not worth the risk in my experience

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Worth avoiding this in supplement form if youre taking it in meaningful amounts 1g+, best from food forms, its no joke & doesnt have easy reversal like many supplements

A few years ago i was taking potassium at meal times for months trying to fix a heartbeat issue,
over time it burned a hole in my small intestine and years later it still hasnt healed.

if this happens to you every time you eat it will irritate the ulcer which continually interrupts healing. the inflammation response causes chronic constipation / swelling, your gut burns day to day, and you start slowly wasting away because you have to limit the calories you eat to prevent constant irritation. i think low vit d / iron / copper can worsen the damage / accelerate recovery with right amounts. but the ulcer bleeding and inflammation = more loss, and because the wound is there you can't supplement properly to raise them without further damage so probably need infusions instead, its a mess not worth the risk in my experience
I find it interesting that you poo poo on literally everything I have said recently. You also seem to suggest supplementing toxic copper, toxic "vitamin A" and also say magnesium supplementation should be avoided. Literally everything backwards. You are either very lost, or have some other kind of agenda. Time will tell.

With that said Dr. Smith thinks 2 grams a day should be the absolute max supplemented and cautions everyone to start low and slow. Personally I do not like the Chloride version in high amounts internally, I only take in the Chloride via the 50/50 salt I make and instead prefer Potassium Gluconate internally in higher amounts.

Last edited:
OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
I find it interesting that you poo poo on literally everything I have said recently. You also seem to suggest supplementing toxic copper, toxic "vitamin A" and also say magnesium supplementation should be avoided. Literally everything backwards. You are either very lost, or have some other kind of agenda. Time will tell.

With that said Dr. Smith thinks 2 grams a day should be the absolute max supplemented and cautions everyone to start low and slow. Personally I do not like the Chloride version in high amounts internally, I only take in the Chloride via the 50/50 salt I make and instead prefer Potassium Gluconate internally in higher amounts.
Whats your opinion about citrate?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
hey guys,

i just can recommend drink an electrolyte mix. This is the one i drink (kalium = potassium)
1707224025266.png

Dave Clark

What exactly is the problem with potassium bicarbonate? Not only getting the potassium, but getting the bicarbonate {CO2} that is beneficial. Anybody using a mineral that is either acidic or alkaline must be careful with dose and how they use it, but if done conservatively and properly, and balanced in a drink with other mineral factors, I don't see why this form is not desirable {much like magnesium bicarbonate}.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What exactly is the problem with potassium bicarbonate? Not only getting the potassium, but getting the bicarbonate {CO2} that is beneficial. Anybody using a mineral that is either acidic or alkaline must be careful with dose and how they use it, but if done conservatively and properly, and balanced in a drink with other mineral factors, I don't see why this form is not desirable {much like magnesium bicarbonate}.
It can hinder digestion for people with weak livers. It is just something to keep an eye out for.

InChristAlone

Worth avoiding this in supplement form if youre taking it in meaningful amounts 1g+, best from food forms, its no joke & doesnt have easy reversal (i.e you often cant just stop to fix the problem like many other supplements the damage sticks)

A few years ago i was taking potassium at meal times for months trying to fix a heartbeat problem,

if this happens to you every time you eat its gonna irritate the ulcer which continually interrupts healing. the inflammation response causes chronic constipation / swelling, your gut burns day to day, and you start slowly wasting away because you have to limit the calories you eat to prevent constant irritation. i think low vit d / iron / copper can worsen the damage / accelerate recovery with right amounts. but the ulcer bleeding and inflammation at the damaged place where you absorb nutrients = more loss, and because of the wound location you can't supplement properly to raise them without further damage so probably need infusions instead, its a mess not worth the risk in my experience
Why would potassium burn holes in the intestine? What form were you taking, that's kinda important to mention.

cs3000

Why would potassium burn holes in the intestine? What form were you taking, that's kinda important to mention.
raw potassium can irritate /damage the gut lining, was potassium bicarb or after potassium citrate split in separate doses used both ,
i think mostly after meals with some water. looking around if you're low in iron/zinc/copper/vit D/thyroid it can make people more vulnerable to ulceration generally, & slow motility
In a carefully controlled multicenter investigation of the effects of oral potassium chloride (KCl) supplements on the gastrointestinal mucosa, 120 healthy men with no endoscopically apparent gastrointestinal lesions were confined to a research ward for 18 days...

Mild to moderate gastrointestinal irritation, characterized by erythema and edema, was found with similar frequency in all four treatment groups.
- Two of 30 subjects given the microencapsulated KCl had a single erosion each.
- Single or multiple erosions were also observed in 14/30 men given the wax/polymer matrix tablet,
- in 7/30 given the powder,
- in 1/30 given placebo.

Last edited:

Jib

raw potassium can irritate /damage the gut lining, was potassium bicarb or after potassium citrate split in separate doses used both ,
i think mostly after meals with some water. looking around if you're low in iron/zinc/copper/vit D/thyroid it can make people more vulnerable to ulceration generally, & slow motility

Knowing the formulation is important. I couldn't figure out how to access the full study (brain dead at the moment) but I'm curious what the concentration was of powdered potassium in water.

I usually use 1/8 teaspoon KCl in 16oz of water, sometimes with 1/8 tsp of MgCl as well. That nets around 365mg potassium and 90mg magnesium in 16oz of water.

Haven't had any issues yet.

I like potassium citrate as well and usually have around 200mg in 16oz of water.

Potassium can definitely mess you up if you overdo it. Low blood pressure, diarrhea and more. Easily avoidable by using it moderately.

In the beginning I was getting insane benefits from large amounts. Completely eliminated post meal fatigue. Then eventually it started causing loose bowel movements.

No idea why it worked so well at first in large quantities. I'd never advise anyone to use what I was using but it was probably around 3.5 grams per day.

Again, I would NOT advise that, but I did this and had excellent results for quite a while.

It does get me thinking about deficiencies. Sometimes in a severely depleted state we need more than we'd need otherwise, perhaps for a while.

Nowadays I often max out at 1 gram per day. Some days I forget to take it at all.

I actually like using it in water as it guides my need for it. Seriously. Sometimes I literally crave it. Like water will sometimes not taste good to me at all without an eighth teaspoon potassium and magnesium in it.

Or 1/16 teaspoon if you want to be more modest with it. Still getting over 150mg potassium and 45mg magnesium in 16oz water in that case.

I'd say that might even be a great starting dose for someone to try. Just 1/16 teaspoon potassium chloride in water. Just that once in a day and see if you notice anything.

Sounds stupid. But I was very surprised at how much potassium has helped. I'd say mood stability and eliminating brain fog are the two primary benefits I've gotten from it. Post meal fatigue as well though sometimes digestive enzymes are most effective for me for that.

I agree with caution. And low and slow. I agree that isolated supplements are not ideal but they can have value.

I always add the caveat that I'm just experimenting on myself according to whatever theory of health I've chosen to follow for the time being. Unfortunately this data isn't being collected on a larger scale. If only data was easier to collect and all of our efforts and experiments could be recorded in a scientifically sound way for the benefit of everyone.

Jib

Update: overdid it last night. How do I know?

Anxiety, insomnia, hypomania. All only relieved by taking quite large amounts of sodium chloride. Plain, no water. And I sure ended up peeing a lot. Eventually I calmed down and was able to sleep.

So. I will agree with the potassium supplement skeptics here on that front. It's possible that different forms of potassium may lower blood pressure more than others, like I seem to have a much more dramatic response to smaller amounts of potassium citrate compared to potassium chloride.

Garrett has mentioned people improving on very small amounts of potassium. I mean very small, like starting with 100mg of supplemental potassium and noticing a difference.

Actually, one of the things I like most about his approach is that he always starts with tiny doses and titrates up very slowly according to biofeedback. Like doses that you'd think would be too small to make any kind of difference at all. He's mentioned many times that he would not recommend taking more than 30mg of zinc per day without hair testing, for example, and has noted he's had clients who tolerated almost no zinc at all. Like some people taking 1mg to 5mg per day.

It seems ridiculous. 1mg of zinc? But it's an intelligent approach. And for that particular person, larger doses of zinc made them feel terrible.

A lot of the skepticism with supplements comes from people thinking they're dangerous because *most* people just go Gung-Ho with them right out of the gate.

Kind of like I did last night. Had I not been aware that a drop in blood pressure was possible with too much potassium, I wouldn't have known I needed to strictly avoid water and take a bunch of sodium to correct things. It makes me think my old days of "mental illness" were really just electrolyte imbalances at the heart of it.

Peat talked a lot about hypothyroidism causing the wasting of electrolytes. Magnesium and potassium. Your body has a tough time holding onto them.

Anyway, I could keep going on, but hopefully that suffices to clear some things up. I'm not advocating for reckless supplementation of anything. And if you follow Garrett's work you will universally find he recommends starting with stupidly tiny doses of any supplement and only titrating up if you feel nothing, or feel better. Once you hit the point you're feeling bad or not getting any more benefits, you stop.

I really recommend watching his livestreams. I've been in the LYL network for several years now. His livestreams are my favorite. Really drives these points home repeatedly. People doing a Cliff Notes version can really run into problems. Myself included. I haven't gotten my hair or blood tested yet and I have to acknowledge that if I'm just going ahead and taking 50mg of Zinc per day, or more, without knowing what I'm doing -- yes, that's a risk. I know someone taking 200mg of zinc per day and claims great benefits but they're not on any program and aren't testing anything. That seems very risky to me.

But very common with supplements. We've all made those mistakes. "Less is more" is a good approach. Hopefully I learned my lesson last night with that potassium citrate. Really washed me out big time.

mattmm24

Hey guys, I've been supplementing b1 for two years or so now. HCL, about 500-1000mg per day. I may well have used up my potassium reserves.

Potassium supplementation seems to be discouraged across the board.

If you don't track on a chronometer, is there a safe zone for potassium supplementation? And what is your opinion on the dangers?
From experimentation with potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium. The big 4. I personally think everyone is calcium deficient, potassium deficient, and magnesium deficient. Could be sodium deficient too. How could that be? There is bio unavailable calcium stored in the body, so supplementing calcium is needed + there aren’t too many good sources of calcium. Dairy sucks unless it’s raw. Problem is supplementing with calcium causes potassium wasting. The only way to get around all this is supplement calcium magnesium (good sources), and make sure you are taking in over 4000 mg of potassium a day. Sodium isn’t hard. Just sprinkle some on your food.
I know some people say we are already over calcified but I feel a million times better supplementing calcium and sleep better, but if you miss the potassium intake then it will ruin you. It’s a tricky balance.
Also you need calcium to detox some heavy metals.
If you just take a ton of potassium then you are missing the point. Balance is everything. And our food is nutrient deficient, so supplementing is a must imo.

Deadpool

From experimentation with potassium, magnesium, calcium, and sodium. The big 4. I personally think everyone is calcium deficient, potassium deficient, and magnesium deficient. Could be sodium deficient too. How could that be? There is bio unavailable calcium stored in the body, so supplementing calcium is needed + there aren’t too many good sources of calcium. Dairy sucks unless it’s raw. Problem is supplementing with calcium causes potassium wasting. The only way to get around all this is supplement calcium magnesium (good sources), and make sure you are taking in over 4000 mg of potassium a day. Sodium isn’t hard. Just sprinkle some on your food.
I know some people say we are already over calcified but I feel a million times better supplementing calcium and sleep better, but if you miss the potassium intake then it will ruin you. It’s a tricky balance.
Also you need calcium to detox some heavy metals.
If you just take a ton of potassium then you are missing the point. Balance is everything. And our food is nutrient deficient, so supplementing is a must imo.
That’s interesting. Everywhere I went the last few years everybody kept telling me to avoid calcium and supp magnesium and potassium. Especially magnesium seems to make my insomnia and chronic fatigue way worse and seems to actually increase cortisol.

I thought it was some biounavailable calcium thing at play too. Even tho I’ve consumed plenty of calcium through diet all my life before that.

What supplemental calcium source would you recommend?

mattmm24

That’s interesting. Everywhere I went the last few years everybody kept telling me to avoid calcium and supp magnesium and potassium. Especially magnesium seems to make my insomnia and chronic fatigue way worse and seems to actually increase cortisol.

I thought it was some biounavailable calcium thing at play too. Even tho I’ve consumed plenty of calcium through diet all my life before that.

What supplemental calcium source would you recommend?
I think that’s an adrenal issue. Same thing happens to me. I’ve done hair tests for 5 years and I always have low sodium/potassium ratio which is weak adrenals. Magnesium by itself will lower the ratio even more. I can take just magnesium as long as I’m taking supplements that are helpful to that ratio though. But I just feel better overall taking extra calcium.

I take calcium and magnesium malate. Calcium is from designs for health. And magnesium is double wood. And then I also take boron. I aim for about 1.5/1 calcium/mag.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals