Question about supplementing potassium

Bounce

Forum Supporter
Hey guys, I've been supplementing b1 for two years or so now. HCL, about 500-1000mg per day. I may well have used up my potassium reserves.

Potassium supplementation seems to be discouraged across the board.

If you don't track on a chronometer, is there a safe zone for potassium supplementation? And what is your opinion on the dangers?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Potassium supplementation seems to be discouraged across the board.
Yup, and literally it is one of the most important ones. Makes ya wonder why it is frowned upon in mainstream circles so much.
is there a safe zone for potassium supplementation?
I think Dr. Smith recommends 2000mg as the upper limit for supplementation on the daily.
And what is your opinion on the dangers?
My opinion is its dangerous not to supplement it.

I find it best to drink a liter of coconut water with a little salt in it, and a little juice, every day. Has a ton of potassium and also calcium and magnesium.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
Yup, and literally it is one of the most important ones. Makes ya wonder why it is frowned upon in mainstream circles so much.

I think Dr. Smith recommends 2000mg as the upper limit for supplementation on the daily.

Thank you charlie!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Peater

Is basic potassium chloride OK?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Is basic potassium chloride OK?
Yes. I take some internally for my 50/50 salt. I prefer Potassium Gluconate internally and the bulk of my Potassium Chloride via topical spray:

Magnesium & Potassium (MAGA-Pot) Recipe
It's important to note that potassium chloride doesn't blend well with alcohol, necessitating the addition of extra water for proper integration.
Here's the formula for Magnesium and Potassium mix:

• 1 cup of magnesium chloride in either powder or flake form
  • 1 TBSP of potassium chloride in powder form
  • 1/2 cup of a clear alcoholic drink, preferably 80 proof (which is 40% alcohol by volume - I opt for Kirkland/Costco Tequila for its superior aroma compared to vodka)
  • 1/2 cup of purified water, be it reverse osmosis, distilled, or deionized
Recommended usage for MAGA-Pot ranges between 20-40 sprays daily. This suggestion is based on the typical plastic hair spray pump bottle used for magnesium oils. I've discovered that this blend, incorporating water and not just alcohol, along with both magnesium and potassium, offers a more agreeable experience and is more effectively absorbed by the skin compared to a formula that only includes alcohol and magnesium.

50/50 Salt Recipe
-50% Potassium Chloride 8 ounces
-50% Salt 8 ounces (Jacobsons Salt co.)
-1/2 Teaspoon of Cream of Tartar (some people use 1/4 teaspoon)

Jib

I use potassium chloride, usually along with magnesium chloride, in my water. About 1/8 teaspoon each in 16oz - 24oz water. That will net around 90mg magnesium and 365mg potassium per drink. The magnesium can have a laxative effect, but 1/8 teaspoon is a reasonably low dose. 1/16 may work better for some people and you're still getting a decent amount of supplemental magnesium that way. I remember reading a study with rats that fortification of their water with magnesium chloride prevented heart disease.

Potassium citrate is OK as well as long as it's non-GMO.

I've been using topical magnesium for months. I keep it in a mason jar and use a dropper instead of a spray bottle. My recipe, derived from Hemant's Mag-a-hol complex:

8oz alcohol (Vodka, or 190 proof grain alcohol cut 50/50 with water)
1/2 cup magnesium chloride flakes (Greenway Biotech USP brand)
1-2 teaspoons vegetable glycerin

I go a bit heavy on the glycerin. It helps keep the mixture from evaporating but it also makes it go onto the skin much more nicely.

Upper limit of 2g supplemental potassium seems reasonable. Potassium gluconate tends to give me loose stools so I avoid it, but that's just me personally. Chloride, gluconate, and citrate are the most commonly recommended forms and I recommend trying all of them and seeing what works best for you.

Average shortfall according to statistics is around 1.5 grams of potassium per day. Keep in mind that supplemental magneisum, oral and/or topical, can aggravate a potassium deficiency. Best to start low and slow and see how you react with both.

Potassium and magnesium are, by ratio, two of the most essential nutrients every single day. Potassium is head and shoulders above everything else at 4.7 grams and magnesium isn't that far behind at 400mg-500mg.

I make a 9:5:3 NaCl - KCl - MgCl powdered electrolyte mixture that I use when fasting. It also helps with sleep. 9 parts sodium, 5 parts potassium, 3 parts magnesium. It works very well. Electrolytes are supremely important. Jacobsen's is the only brand of salt I use.

Credit due where credit is due. The Jacobsen's and Greenway Biotech recommendations come from Garrett's Love Your Liver group. I recommend joining and checking out the info. It's extremely dense. I've been on this for several years now and it's taken me about that long to really take everything in. And I only very recently have made actual efforts to start truly tackling my sugar addiction after years of Peating.

Even calling it an addiction would have seemed insane to me not long ago. I'm at the healthiest weight I've been in 10 years and being more strict with the LYL program, for real, my sleep is better and I'm improving overall.

Potassium is a big player in that, but it isn't the only one. I also am doing my own things based on my own research and I do think the "Perceive, Think, Act" applies as much as ever.

I remember finding this one many years ago. Turned me on to potassium originally:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I recommend trying all of them and seeing what works best for you.
+1 This is very important, some potassium forms work well for some but not for others. A person needs to find the best one they get along with.
Keep in mind that supplemental magneisum, oral and/or topical, can aggravate a potassium deficiency. Best to start low and slow and see how you react with both.
More great advice.
I recommend joining and checking out the info. It's extremely dense.
+1 The Love Your Liver info is priceless.
I'm at the healthiest weight I've been in 10 years and being more strict with the LYL program, for real, my sleep is better and I'm improving overall.
#winning

Great post, thank you @Jib!

Ashs

Yes. I take some internally for my 50/50 salt. I prefer Potassium Gluconate internally and the bulk of my Potassium Chloride via topical spray:
Hi Charlie, since I'm unable to source Potassium Chloride in Australia but I can get Potassium Bicarbonate, is it safe to take 2 grams orally, daily

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hi Charlie, since I'm unable to source Potassium Chloride in Australia but I can get Potassium Bicarbonate, is it safe to take 2 grams orally, daily
I would aware if you see all the bicarbonate effecting your digestion.

taralynne

I use potassium chloride, usually along with magnesium chloride, in my water. About 1/8 teaspoon each in 16oz - 24oz water. That will net around 90mg magnesium and 365mg potassium per drink. The magnesium can have a laxative effect, but 1/8 teaspoon is a reasonably low dose. 1/16 may work better for some people and you're still getting a decent amount of supplemental magnesium that way. I remember reading a study with rats that fortification of their water with magnesium chloride prevented heart disease.

Potassium citrate is OK as well as long as it's non-GMO.

I've been using topical magnesium for months. I keep it in a mason jar and use a dropper instead of a spray bottle. My recipe, derived from Hemant's Mag-a-hol complex:

8oz alcohol (Vodka, or 190 proof grain alcohol cut 50/50 with water)
1/2 cup magnesium chloride flakes (Greenway Biotech USP brand)
1-2 teaspoons vegetable glycerin

I go a bit heavy on the glycerin. It helps keep the mixture from evaporating but it also makes it go onto the skin much more nicely.

Upper limit of 2g supplemental potassium seems reasonable. Potassium gluconate tends to give me loose stools so I avoid it, but that's just me personally. Chloride, gluconate, and citrate are the most commonly recommended forms and I recommend trying all of them and seeing what works best for you.

Average shortfall according to statistics is around 1.5 grams of potassium per day. Keep in mind that supplemental magneisum, oral and/or topical, can aggravate a potassium deficiency. Best to start low and slow and see how you react with both.

Potassium and magnesium are, by ratio, two of the most essential nutrients every single day. Potassium is head and shoulders above everything else at 4.7 grams and magnesium isn't that far behind at 400mg-500mg.

I make a 9:5:3 NaCl - KCl - MgCl powdered electrolyte mixture that I use when fasting. It also helps with sleep. 9 parts sodium, 5 parts potassium, 3 parts magnesium. It works very well. Electrolytes are supremely important. Jacobsen's is the only brand of salt I use.

Credit due where credit is due. The Jacobsen's and Greenway Biotech recommendations come from Garrett's Love Your Liver group. I recommend joining and checking out the info. It's extremely dense. I've been on this for several years now and it's taken me about that long to really take everything in. And I only very recently have made actual efforts to start truly tackling my sugar addiction after years of Peating.

Even calling it an addiction would have seemed insane to me not long ago. I'm at the healthiest weight I've been in 10 years and being more strict with the LYL program, for real, my sleep is better and I'm improving overall.

Potassium is a big player in that, but it isn't the only one. I also am doing my own things based on my own research and I do think the "Perceive, Think, Act" applies as much as ever.

I remember finding this one many years ago. Turned me on to potassium originally:

[QUOTE="Jib, post: 981951, member... sure I get enough of it every day. [/QUOTE]

JohnHafterson

Would definitely start low with potassium and take with food and work up if tolerated - there's a reason FDA caps supplements at 99mg per dose.

Ive taken potassium citrate and bicarbonate and both slowed my heart down and caused numbness in extremities - felt like death row - lol.

Potassium chloride is used with lethal injection cocktails to slow the heart.

Mileage may vary but supplements are a no go with my body.

I get plenty with food about 4000-5000mg per day with my diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals