My First Post

leethom

Finally I managed to make a post.......

I am hoping that someone, somwhere can point out what may be going on with me right now although I really appreciate how difficult it is.

I believe that I have always had a problem with my metabolism and Thyroid since I was in my teens. I ate a lot of crap when I was growing up like a lot of bread, breaded meats from the deep freezer, deep fried rubbish from the deep fat fryer with a load of pufas, vegetable spreads, roasted peanuts and potato chips.

Although I never had problems with my weight i did have energy problem manifesting in needing 9 hours of sleep a night and in my 30,s sleeping also in the afternoon. I have always exercised, often way too much because it made me feel better but now I work out a manageable 2 times a week.

I came across Hair like a fox some years ago but did not 'get it' but then I discovered the Bald myth videos on youtube. I have tried to read RP work but find it difficult to understand. I think I have implemented the ideas very well and increased my body temps by nearly 1 degree. My pulse rate though is on 60, sometimes 70. I recently started to take small amounts of T3. However, since early on the journey I have had chronic dandruff and since I have been taking a little bit of T3 my hair is falling out and I still have dandruff.

I cant figure out what could be the problem. Do I need to increase my calories because my metabolism has increased and therefore I should increase my vitamin A,E and K2 or Am I taking too much T3?

On the plus side, I have way more energy, although I still sleep 9 hours a night, but the foggy brain is rare at the moment and I do not need to sleep in the afternoon.

I am way more optimistic since I can remember and this is a really joy. Lab work before Christmas and then again in Feb was TSH 3.7 and 1.6 respectively, prolactin was 9 then my second test showed it as 13 and my cholesterol is 200 and it is the 'good' cholesterol which is high so I am not sure if that is a good thing as I have heard from one of Danny videos that the 'good' cholesterol is not good at all and the HDL is better.

I have had many problems all my life mainly cannabis and ectasy use and I have had depression too since my late teens.

Any support, pearls of wisdom and so on would be greatly appreciated.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Welcome to the forum leethom. It would be good to hear about what you are currently eating if you don't mind sharing. I'm glad you have noticed some improvements already. I think you will get a lot of great input here!:welcome

PakPik

Hi leethom, and welcome to the forum!

I cant figure out what could be the problem. Do I need to increase my calories because my metabolism has increased and therefore I should increase my vitamin A,E and K2 or Am I taking too much T3?

Jumpstarting metabolism definitely requires serious good nourishment -both calories and nutrients-. Otherwise, your body can get in trouble. Do you know how many calories you get on average? It would also be valuable to know how your typical diet looks like, as Blossom says. Cronometer.com is a place where you can track those things easily.

my cholesterol is 200 and it is the 'good' cholesterol which is high so I am not sure if that is a good thing as I have heard from one of Danny videos that the 'good' cholesterol is not good at all

I understand that increasing thyroid function requires a good amount of LDL cholesterol. From what you write it seems your LDL is very low now? I would use caution in that case, because thyroid is going to lower it even more, as it converts it to the "protective steroids". People can get into trouble with not enough LDL levels, so it is recommended to first increase the LDL to a good number and then they are in a better place to supplement thyroid. Peat doesn't support supplementing thyroid when LDL is low.

High HDL means your body is trying to protect you from poisonous material; the HDL buffers those substances. Strenous exercise, bacterial endotoxin, estrogen, etc., can all increase the HDL.

OP
L

leethom

Hi leethom, and welcome to the forum!

Jumpstarting metabolism definitely requires serious good nourishment -both calories and nutrients-. Otherwise, your body can get in trouble. Do you know how many calories you get on average? It would also be valuable to know how your typical diet looks like, as Blossom says. Cronometer.com is a place where you can track those things easily.

I understand that increasing thyroid function requires a good amount of LDL cholesterol. From what you write it seems your LDL is very low now? I would use caution in that case, because thyroid is going to lower it even more, as it converts it to the "protective steroids". People can get into trouble with not enough LDL levels, so it is recommended to first increase the LDL to a good number and then they are in a better place to supplement thyroid. Peat doesn't support supplementing thyroid when LDL is low.

High HDL means your body is trying to protect you from poisonous material; the HDL buffers those substances. Strenous exercise, bacterial endotoxin, estrogen, etc., can all increase the HDL.

Thank you for replying to me so quickly. Are you able to tell me what LDL numbers would someone aim for and I will consider stopping the T3 medication for the moment. What would be needed then to raise LDL cholesterol?

OP
L

leethom

Welcome to the forum leethom. It would be good to hear about what you are currently eating if you don't mind sharing. I'm glad you have noticed some improvements already. I think you will get a lot of great input here!:welcome

Thank you Blossom for the nice welcome and words of hope.

I am waking up to a 600ml large glass of semi skimmed milk and a bit of salt plus 3 tablespoon of sugar. I also drink a approx 300ml glass of fresh squeezed orange juice with salt and eat a boiled egg. I may for lunch drink a large cappaccino (made with half fat milk) with half a cup of sugar. Later in the afternoon i may have a piece of cheese and another300 ml orange juice and in the evening I would eat a lamb shank or oxtail with pumpkin or mashed potatoes (small portion) and before bed I will have some of my home made ice cream perhaps 3 tablespoons. I drink coffee also throughout the day always with a bit of sugar.

I eat 4 oz liver once a week and I eat (6) oysters once or twice a week.

PakPik

Hello again :)
Are you able to tell me what LDL numbers would someone aim for and I will consider stopping the T3 medication for the moment. What would be needed then to raise LDL cholesterol?
I don't have a exact Peat quote right now -I would have to search deeply into my files- but he usually recommends total cholesterol be at least 200 before supplementing thyroid. Yours is 200, but you said that most of it was HDL, did I read you right? Your LDL must be super low, do you have numbers? I say this because it is specifically LDL the cholesterol that T3 works with and is going to lower.
To raise cholesterol, Peat says sugar (either pure or from fruits) is very good. Also having a decent liver function, for example, if there's a lot of intestinal inflammation, malfunction or bacterial overgrowth, it might burden the liver and lower it's cholesterol production. High HDL points to having some kind of poisonous burden in the system, how do you feel your digestive system works?
Including some saturated fat from a good source, some butter for example, can also help increase LDL.

Thank you Blossom for the nice welcome and words of hope.

I am waking up to a 600ml large glass of semi skimmed milk and a bit of salt plus 3 tablespoon of sugar. I also drink a approx 300ml glass of fresh squeezed orange juice with salt and eat a boiled egg. I may for lunch drink a large cappaccino (made with half fat milk) with half a cup of sugar. Later in the afternoon i may have a piece of cheese and another300 ml orange juice and in the evening I would eat a lamb shank or oxtail with pumpkin or mashed potatoes (small portion) and before bed I will have some of my home made ice cream perhaps 3 tablespoons. I drink coffee also throughout the day always with a bit of sugar.

I eat 4 oz liver once a week and I eat (6) oysters once or twice a week.

You have very nice foods in your diet, but it seems to me there are not enough calories there? A lot of us get surprised when tracking foods and realize one is undereating. Undereating is a big cause of stress, including increased prolactin. Boosting thyroid function requires very ample nutrition.

I hope this helps :)

Last edited:
home made ice cream perhaps 3 tablespoons

OMG, How on earth do you eat only three tablespoons of ice cream??? I eat a pint (well, 14 oz.) in one sitting... I could never stop at three bites.

I agree with PakPik...MORE food is a great start.

OP
L

leethom

Hello again :)

I don't have a exact Peat quote right now -I would have to search deeply into my files- but he usually recommends total cholesterol be at least 200 before supplementing thyroid. Yours is 200, but you said that most of it was HDL, did I read you right? Your LDL must be super low, do you have numbers? I say this because it is specifically LDL the cholesterol that T3 works with and is going to lower.
To raise cholesterol, Peat says sugar (either pure or from fruits) is very good. Also having a decent liver function, for example, if there's a lot of intestinal inflammation, malfunction or bacterial overgrowth, it might burden the liver and lower it's cholesterol production. High HDL points to having some kind of poisonous burden in the system, how do you feel your digestive system works?
Including some saturated fat from a good source, some butter for example, can also help increase LDL.

You have very nice foods in your diet, but it seems to me there are not enough calories there? A lot of us get surprised when tracking foods and realize one is undereating. Undereating is a big cause of stress, including increased prolactin. Boosting thyroid function requires very ample nutrition.

I hope this helps :)

I will definitely add much more sugar from fruit and perhaps increasing the OJ. You are right, we do underestimate how much calories we consume and I had a feeling that perhaps there was really too few in my diet.

I eat most days my peat carrot salad with coconut oil and I will always cook my evening meals either in butter, ghee or coconut oil.

I really have no idea if I have intestinal inflammation, malfunction or an overgrowth although in my time I have taken a lot of antibiotics.

tara

I agree with posters above about getting enough food.
Normal calories for non-dieting weight stable people are around 2500 - 3500 calories depending on age/gender/size and maybe higher for extra active people. Not sure about your age/gender/size. For people who have been chronically undereating for some time, there can be a deficit that requires eating more at times.

If you want your metabolism to produce enough energy to run your system well, you have to supply enough fuel (as well as building blocks etc). Without sufficient food over a period of time, your body begins to adapt to the famine. There are a number of adaptations that can happen, including turning down metabolism and therefore temperature and available energy. This is protective in a famine - it means not catabolising organs so fast, and starving so quickly. Eventually various systems will not be able to keep functioning optimally. If there is food available, it's better to eat enough to maintain body and energy.

I recently started to take small amounts of T3. However, since early on the journey I have had chronic dandruff and since I have been taking a little bit of T3 my hair is falling out and I still have dandruff.
How much? As above, I think it can be hazardous to supplement thyroid while undereating.

OP
L

leethom

OMG, How on earth do you eat only three tablespoons of ice cream??? I eat a pint (well, 14 oz.) in one sitting... I could never stop at three bites.

I agree with PakPik...MORE food is a great start.

I know but I like to eat the ice cream every night and a pint every night, seriously, is that possible? :)))
I agree with posters above about getting enough food.
Normal calories for non-dieting weight stable people are around 2500 - 3500 calories depending on age/gender/size and maybe higher for extra active people. Not sure about your age/gender/size. For people who have been chronically undereating for some time, there can be a deficit that requires eating more at times.

If you want your metabolism to produce enough energy to run your system well, you have to supply enough fuel (as well as building blocks etc). Without sufficient food over a period of time, your body begins to adapt to the famine. There are a number of adaptations that can happen, including turning down metabolism and therefore temperature and available energy. This is protective in a famine - it means not catabolising organs so fast, and starving so quickly. Eventually various systems will not be able to keep functioning optimally. If there is food available, it's better to eat enough to maintain body and energy.

How much? As above, I think it can be hazardous to supplement thyroid while undereating.
Thanks Tara! i have definitely eaten way too less in the past, perhaps most of my adult life but I am increasing it and it helps when you and pakpik says its too less and especially that I also workout. I will increase my calories now and I also forgot to write that I also take Great Lake gelatine.

I have cut up a 25mcg tablet and I take one sixth but I have a little in the morning and a little in the early evening but I did not know that it could be self defeating to take a T3 medication and not eat enough, thanks for the heads up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals