My Hair Journey - Ascension Of The Follicle

rawmeat

Hi all,

To provide context:

In elementary school and high school, I had the THICCest head of hair a male could possibly have. The barber would practically break my neck as he tried dragging his comb through my unmanageable hair while cutting it.

Fast forward to the summer before college, I began intermittent fasting to lose some excess fat off of my chubbier build. Unfortunately, the internet can be an evil place for the innocent brain, and I was sucked into believing some outrageous health trends (ridiculousness below).

I began working out in a fasted state (thx kinobody), and I lost about 30lbs in a month; I looked good, and felt confident heading into a new era of my life. Come university, I started getting quite a decent amount of quality vagina for the first time of my life, and I attributed it to my healthier 'lean' frame.

I kinda became obsessed with being 'lean' respective to my success with females, so I began to push fasts longer... I also started to drink about a gallon of crappy quality tap water every day because 'youtube health gurus' told me it was 'healthy' (I look back and just think, "F*ck me" lol :salute). In hindsight (because hindsight is always 20/20) I tortured my body through rigorous fasted workouts, under eating, heavy alcohol consumption, and a poor diet.

Fast forward to March 2017, I noticed my thick head of hair (that I would always keep short), started becoming a bit more manageable?.. It was getting thinner, and it looked better than ever because I could now style it a bit instead of it just growing upwards like an afro. Although my hair looked good, my scalp became constantly itchy and filled with dandruff regardless of what shampoo I used. Around this time, I also began getting pimples for the first time in my life.

Come September 2017, after a summer full of my same habits, I really noticed my hairline starting to recede and thin. I finally found Peat (thx to Danny Roddy) in February of this year, but now it's time to take serious action.

Current status: I am now 20 yrs old. My scalp is constantly inflammed, and it tingles in certain areas (especially temples), and I notice hair shed in those spots. I'd honestly say that I've lost over 55% of my hair density, and my temples have receded and thinned, but because my hair was previously so thick, it is still quite unnoticeable to friends. Something to note* I have tinea versicolor (discoloured pigmentation) on my face, and I've been getting pimples on my chin, cheeks, forehead, and scalp more often than ever before.

Today, May 23, 2018, marks the day I really need to take matters into my own hands, or I'll be a bald brother quite soon.

----

:: The plan for ascension of the follicle ::

1. Ray Peat and Danny Roddy nutrition and lifestyle - Big shout out to DRod for saving lives through his info on baldness.
- liver, oysters, carrots, milk, cheese, OJ, coffee...etc I will look to supplement thyroid too.

2. Man up and shave my head - this will make it much easier to break up the tight, calcified areas on my scalp and remove the plague of dandruff/seb dermatitis I have.

3. Red Light Therapy on scalp -info I've seen suggests this can be quite effective (need to do more research)

4. Believing and visualizing myself at perfect health once again.*

Well, if you got this far, thank you for your patience! Any suggestions on food, topicals, treatments, supplements, anecdotes, thoughts on my health, etc., will be greatly appreciated.

lmk if you want me to share progress pics/blood tests/updates on this thread.

bcopeland

I always have had super thick hair, still do, but started getting a receding hairline several years ago when I did low carb intermittent fasting. Had other side effects such as being generally lethargic, couldn't make it through a full soccer game and would cramp like hell on the drive home.

Now I eat a high carb, lower fat, moderate protein diet and have a nice set of abs to show for it, plenty of energy and my hairline is no longer receding.

Made a homemade laser helmet and used it 10 - 20 minutes 3 times per week. Did see some regrowth but nothing amazing. Started a modified massage to the scalp, not quite as intense as detumescence and notice that certain areas of the scalp are moving better. Too soon to tell if regrowth will happen or not. As long as I don't lose more I'd be happy but regrowth would be pretty kick arse as well.

Lessons learned:
- If you are high output you need more carbs
- Punishing the body is only good for that
- Fitness and health are specific and doing over-the-top physical exertion is pretty useless. Know what your goals are and do the minimal effective dose to pursue them.
- Intermittent fasting is a stressor, some people may do well on it but others will have their stress bucket overfilled and will reap those results
- Fat loss comes best by ensuring proper micro and macro nutrition and doing cycles of quicker calorie drops with more mild calorie drops with some diet breaks and refeed days mixed in based upon metabolic factors (energy, mood, temperature, activity level, etc.)

There is that hindsight, eh?

Take some before and after pics and if you see definitive progress (probably need at least 6 months to ensure results) you should post them.

OP
rawmeat

rawmeat

Appreciate the reply mate!

Good to hear that your hair is no longer receding.

Are there any topicals you have tried to regrow some hair?

I will begin taking pics when I shave my head in a week or two.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, my hair began falling out after a period of intermittent fasting. I always wondered what caused it and I always suspected it was the fasting. The more I see people saying they started thinning or losing hair after fasting, the more convinced I am that that was what caused it.

peep

Tap water could have had a lot of copper. I know copper on here is not seen as bad, but if something is in excess or just not right for your body, its still bad.

Did start to drink a lot of tapwater because of the same reasons years ago. Found out this year that it had 3mg copper per liter.
Have had a hairtest with sky high copper as well, which confirmed all that.

Maybe buy yourself some water testing kit, and test your tapwater if it contains a lot of copper.
If you want. Just my 2cents. :)

Arrade

Appreciate the reply mate!

Good to hear that your hair is no longer receding.

Are there any topicals you have tried to regrow some hair?

I will begin taking pics when I shave my head in a week or two.
Personally I’m looking towards Methylene Blue for hair regrowth, and taking high doses of Vit D and Mk7 in case it’s a circulation issue
Seems that your thyroid needs to be optimal as well.
In terms of Carbs, active hair follicles require twice as much glucose as dormant ones

Arrade

Glad there is someone else trying to regrow hair, best of luck to all of us!

OP
rawmeat

rawmeat

suspected it was the fasting

Absolutely. I think almost all people who fast are unknowingly under eating which is very stressful to the body as a whole.

Maybe buy yourself some water testing kit

I will surely look into it. Thanks for your reply! For now I mainly stick to milk and fruit juice for my hydration. I even make my coffee with milk which is much tastier imo.

Methylene Blue

Topical or ingested?

OP
rawmeat

rawmeat

UPDATE:

I've been eating liver for a month now (about 8oz/ week split into two servings).

A few hours after eating it today, I noticed the vibrant aura of my skin, and my hair looks finer, and it's shiny ... and healthy!? As I said above, it is usually dry and coarse. On top of all this, after rubbing my head over the sink, I didn't lose a single strand of hair (I usually lose at least 10-15). All this just a couple hours after eating it... it may sound crazy, but I am very aware of my body and certain of these swift changes just from eating liver.

Anyone else experience anything similar? Very interesting..

benaoao

Shedding hair is natural, it’s growing it back that matters. More nutrient dense sources of carbs (avoid oxalates and phytates like the plague they are) and high quality lean protein (help your stomach acid if needed). Liver qualifies, definitely. Another useful tool is nail growth and quality.

I wish I had a better angle for the first picture and my hair is still a bit dry although I’m bumping up fruit intake and getting liver back in every week or so.

First picture December Second picture yesterday, 29yo male turning 30 in 6 weeks...

1 B8 F8141 74 DB 4 E27 B054 4 BB110 F4 B7 A0

74 CE5 B2 C 3 E68 48 F3 A5 F2 EA34 F47 C7 E52

Peating with whole foods is a game changer

biffbelvin

Come university, I started getting quite a decent amount of quality vagina for the first time of my life, and I attributed it to my healthier 'lean' frame.

I just spewed coffee over my monitor. That is some quality comedic bolding friend.

I'd recommend you get a HMA test to check out your mineral ratios. It'll give you a good direction with respect to any supplementing you may (or may not) require.

For example, I supplemented calcium as recommended here, only to find out that my ratio CA:MG was completely off the charts. Dropping all calcium supplementation and focusing on modest magnesium supplementation (magnesium chloride due to PH) helped reduce/remove some health symptoms I'd been trying to resolve for years.

peep

I just spewed coffee over my monitor. That is some quality comedic bolding friend.

I'd recommend you get a HMA test to check out your mineral ratios. It'll give you a good direction with respect to any supplementing you may (or may not) require.

For example, I supplemented calcium as recommended here, only to find out that my ratio CA:MG was completely off the charts. Dropping all calcium supplementation and focusing on modest magnesium supplementation (magnesium chloride due to PH) helped reduce/remove some health symptoms I'd been trying to resolve for years.

+1

OP
rawmeat

rawmeat

I BLAME IT ALL ON THE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN. That's the only reason why men want hair anyways, right?
:dancingsmileyman

Ca - 2.35 mmol/L
Mg - 0.90 mmol/L
(levels are fine)

My zinc levels are low:
9.7 umol/L . (8.7 - 19.1 umol/L is recommended range)
I've been trying to get 6-12 raw oysters in my diet every week.

And my ferritin level is very low too.

Ferritin 24 . (22-275 ug/L is recommended range)
Any thoughts iron for hair growth? It's quite an ambiguous topic in Peat's work.

OP
rawmeat

rawmeat

I wish I had a better angle for the first picture and my hair is still a bit dry although I’m bumping up fruit intake and getting liver back in every week or so.

Looking good mate! I now know why Danny is so adamant on eating liver; it is the ultimate superfood.

EIRE24

UPDATE:

I've been eating liver for a month now (about 8oz/ week split into two servings).

A few hours after eating it today, I noticed the vibrant aura of my skin, and my hair looks finer, and it's shiny ... and healthy!? As I said above, it is usually dry and coarse. On top of all this, after rubbing my head over the sink, I didn't lose a single strand of hair (I usually lose at least 10-15). All this just a couple hours after eating it... it may sound crazy, but I am very aware of my body and certain of these swift changes just from eating liver.

Anyone else experience anything similar? Very interesting..
Nice to hear liver works for you. It never did for me. What kind of liver are you eating?

zes

I'm 21 and noticed my hair started thinning out last year. Been over a year now and I've lost 70% of my hair density/thickness. It was the time I also started going college/university haha. Got into weird habits. My hair did thicken around December last year but it's thinning out again as I have not been eating for the last 2 months properly due to exam stress. I am done next week when I plan on getting back to 3000+ calories a day and eating lots of fruit + liver. My family are also Muslim and it's Ramadan right now and I can see the effects of undereating. I'm not fasting myself but I am eating less. My hair is at all time low now. I can see my scalp skin on every side of my head, diffuse thinning sucks.

I plan on supplementing thyroid as well come the end of next week. I stopped going to the gym for now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals