MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The ratio of calcium to phosphate is very important; that’s why milk and cheese are so valuable for weight loss, or for preventing weight gain. For people who aren’t very active, low fat milk and cheese are better, because the extra fat calories aren’t needed.” -Ray Peat

Jennifer

Hey Girl! I have a little more time focus on more detailed answers. Hmmm where to start. In "Lose Fat Not Pounds" I was high sugar high protein. No my weight did not change, but my no stretch romper from when i was 20 pounds lighter fit when it didn't. So considering fat is 3 times more voluminous than muscle what else could I conclude?

As far as caloric intake goes, the foods I posted in this thread are certainly not considered diet foods. I don't live on milk and I don't make sure I eat tons of sugar, I just eat. I don't think anybody wanting to lose weight needs to start eating a lot like I do so my first post of a days worth of food is perfect for someone wanting to lose fat. If I posted a days worth of food with me "maintaining" my weight it would put weight on somebody wanting to lose weight. Milk is a big problem for people on a this RP protocol, and was for me too, so I have been trying to figure out how to manage not gaining weight on it myself with milk. When I happened to notice my clothes getting looser I discovered I lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks not even trying, and with that happening I realized I had some specifics to talk about where weight loss is concerned. I don't have a lot of weight to lose to do a big weight loss experiment, like I didv2 years ago for my friend. Since last year I didn't get fat as in voluminous, I gained a layer of fat from starches and then adding in milk didn't help things either. I could tell that the skin on my neck was looser and I was softer all over, that is fat. It looks fine in clothes, but I needed to make that shift of losing that layer of fat while keeping muscle, or even gaining muscle, as my legs got a little thinner too, which i don't want either. Here is my "I want to lose a layer of fat" pics from late April (black outfit) and early May (legs too thin and not looking strong).

Hey Miss Rinse! Layer of fat or not, I think you have a beautiful figure and are a lovely lady. ❤️ We all deserve to feel good in our own skin, though, so I understand. At the end of the day, it’s most important how we feel about ourselves. Milk is definitely one of those challenging foods for many, myself included. It took me a decade before I was thriving on it again because of my thyroid and subsequent digestive issues. I appreciate you sharing your health journey with us. I find your dedication to your health very inspiring.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hey Miss Rinse! Layer of fat or not, I think you have a beautiful figure and are a lovely lady. ❤️ We all deserve to feel good in our own skin, though, so I understand. At the end of the day, it’s most important how we feel about ourselves. Milk is definitely one of those challenging foods for many, myself included. It took me a decade before I was thriving on it again because of my thyroid and subsequent digestive issues. I appreciate you sharing your health journey with us. I find your dedication to your health very inspiring.

Thanks Girl! Yeah I am just careful to not talk about things I haven't experienced. I know that sugar is REALLY good for weight loss and pairing it with protein is an efficient muscle builder, but I never want to lose fat like that again, like I did in that thread. I know how important calcium is in health and I just had to keep trying different things to make it work. That experiment two years ago was just to prove to my girlfriend that her avoidance of sugar was not helping her to lose weight. She is into intermittent fasting. It was also to prove the point of "skinny fat". You have helped me a lot in figuring this milk thing out, and even as recent, with skimming the fat off my whole raw milk. That has been the biggest gift! I now ditched the skim milk this week, with the added vitamin A, and only drink the lower fat raw milk now, and use the cream in my coffee! Oh and your Wendell Estate raw honey makes the best dessert at night with a cup of milk. I am ordering a couple more big jars today! Like I said I am always happy when you show up in a thread, as we are very alike.

Jennifer

Thanks Girl! Yeah I am just careful to not talk about things I haven't experienced. I know that sugar is REALLY good for weight loss and pairing it with protein is an efficient muscle builder, but I never want to lose fat like that again, like I did in that thread. I know how important calcium is in health and I just had to keep trying different things to make it work. That experiment two years ago was just to prove to my girlfriend that her avoidance of sugar was not helping her to lose weight. She is into intermittent fasting. It was also to prove the point of "skinny fat". You have helped me a lot in figuring this milk thing out, and even as recent, with skimming the fat off my whole raw milk. That has been the biggest gift! I now ditched the skim milk this week, with the added vitamin A, and only drink the lower fat raw milk now, and use the cream in my coffee! Oh and your Wendell Estate raw honey makes the best dessert at night with a cup of milk. I am ordering a couple more big jars today! Like I said I am always happy when you show up in a thread, as we are very alike.

I’m so happy to hear the skimming technique and honey are working out well for you. That’s great! And thank you! I always enjoy getting to chat with you and appreciate your openness. I don’t blame you for not wanting to lose fat like that again. I’m glad you’ve found a way of eating that works best for you. By the looks of your recipes, it certainly seems enjoyable. :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Small meals help to increase the metabolic rate, single big meals increase fat storage." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The RP quote below has been the key to my fat loss success. Your milk skimming, Jennifer, and practice of drinking your milk for your main protein has worked wonders for me. Just in 5 days 2 more pounds came off the scale and I am still getting all my protein in. I drank 4 glasses of 2% milk, ate chocolate, had 3 coffees with cream and sugar and had lamb for dinner last night, with about 3 tablespoons of the jelly and 2 ounces of goat cheese. I also had 4 ounces of tequila with about a quarter cup of cranberry juice last night too. I am gonna get some oranges today and see how adding that in plays out. I have been having frozen raspberries and strawberries soaked overnight with added sugar all this week instead. The cream I am skimming off of my milk isn't thick and yellow like yours, but is very light in color, and seems more like half and half. That fatter layer is going away and I am seeing my muscles again! I know you will say it wasn't enough calories, but I was very satisfied! Do you think the fats I still have in my diet are keeping me too satiated for more calories?

"In recent years there have been studies showing that regular milk drinkers are less fat than people who don’t drink it. Although the high quality protein and saturated fat undoubtedly contribute to milk’s anti-obesity effect, the high calcium content is probably the main factor.” -Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here was my lamb dinner last night...

Attachments

• 20211007_214514.jpg
    20211007_214514.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 87
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is my chocolate...

Attachments

• 20211008_134741.jpg
    20211008_134741.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20211008_134753.jpg
    20211008_134753.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 71

Jennifer

The RP quote below has been the key to my fat loss success. Your milk skimming, Jennifer, and practice of drinking your milk for your main protein has worked wonders for me. Just in 5 days 2 more pounds came off the scale and I am still getting all my protein in. I drank 4 glasses of 2% milk, ate chocolate, had coffees with cream and sugar and had lamb for dinner with 2 ounces of goat cheese yesterday and 4 ounces of tequila with a splash of cranberry juice last . I am gonna get some oranges today and see how adding that in plays out. I have been having frozen raspberries and strawberries soaked overnight with added sugar all this week instead. The cream I am skimming off of my milk isn't thick and yellow like yours, but is very light in color, and seems more like half and half. That fatter layer is going away and I am seeing my muscles again! I know you will say it wasn't enough calories, but I was very satisfied!

"In recent years there have been studies showing that regular milk drinkers are less fat than people who don’t drink it. Although the high quality protein and saturated fat undoubtedly contribute to milk’s anti-obesity effect, the high calcium content is probably the main factor.” -Ray Peat

That’s awesome to hear, Rinse! Your diet sounds yummy and might I say, quite Wonka—my favorite kind of no diet. ;) Those two middle jars in my photo are Guernsey cow’s milk, which is known to be extra golden. The other jars are goat’s milk. Dairy and its fat have been slimming for me, as well. I went to the doctors today and was shocked to learn that I’ve lost 6 pounds (I don’t own a scale) and I’ve upped my dairy fat intake significantly, as well as my calories. I’ve been consuming at least a gallon of semi-skimmed milk (before it was non-fat) and close to a pound of goat Gouda daily, and well over 3000 calories a day, with no change in my activity level. I’m rather sedentary. Oh, and I love Alter Eco’s truffles. They’re so good!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That’s awesome to hear, Rinse! Your diet sounds yummy and might I say, quite Wonka—my favorite kind of no diet. ;) Those two middle jars in my photo are Guernsey cow’s milk, which is known to be extra golden. The other jars are goat’s milk. Dairy and its fat have been slimming for me, as well. I went to the doctors today and was shocked to learn that I’ve lost 6 pounds (I don’t own a scale) and I’ve upped my dairy fat intake significantly, as well as my calories. I’ve been consuming at least a gallon of semi-skimmed milk (before it was non-fat) and close to a pound of goat Gouda daily, and well over 3000 calories a day, with no change in my activity level. I’m rather sedentary. Oh, and I love Alter Eco’s truffles. They’re so good!

I am sedentary at 58 right now. Before last year I was much more active being out a lot, though I have never worked out or exercised since my late 20's. I do think that upping dairy, even with it's fats seems to work better with less meat and eggs, and of course very little starch. I did sone experimenting with sprouted brown rice with butter one night this week and stir fried some with hamburger, carrots and eggs on the following night and I am still 2 pounds down. So Ray Peat's high protein calcium is working. Because I wouldn't want to lose anymore than 5 pounds and considering my age i don't think lowering my fats is wise either. I like my skin with butter and some beef and lamb fats. What are you gonna do to keep from losing anymore weight?

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I only started eating chocolate this last 4 days, and I did eat a cup of ricotta and a half pound of manchego (sheep milk) cheese with raw honey this week too. My only suppliments have been a little niacinimide and Progest-E every other day each.

taralynne

I only started eating chocolate this last 4 days, and I did eat a cup of ricotta and a half pound of manchego (sheep milk) cheese with raw honey this week too. My only suppliments have been a little niacinimide and Progest-E every other day each.
I always enjoy your posts and am inspired by your success. Curious as to what you usually eat for breakfast. Are you saying with the milk drinking you are not eating eggs? I have an egg every day for breakfast along with 1 slice of bacon, a glass of orange juice and coffee with a little raw milk, sugar, a litte salt and a tablespoon of gelatin. Based on what you are doing my diet is a bit of disaster, lol.. would explain all the weight I have gained and my inablitly so far to lose any of it. I also do a few glasses of milk throughout the day. Had been drinking raw milk mostly for the past few years but have done a few stints, including right now, of drinking fat free milk to try and lose some pounds but nothing ever changes. The lower fat does not cause me to lose any weight so I may as just drink the raw as it is an unaltered food with much better taste. Should I not be eating eggs at all since I drink so much milk? If not, what would be a good breakfast?

Jennifer

I am sedentary at 58 right now. Before last year I was much more active being out a lot, though I have never worked out or exercised since my late 20's. I do think that upping dairy, even with it's fats seems to work better with less meat and eggs, and of course very little starch. I did sone experimenting with sprouted brown rice with butter one night this week and stir fried some with hamburger, carrots and eggs on the following night and I am still 2 pounds down. So Ray Peat's high protein calcium is working. Because I wouldn't want to lose anymore than 5 pounds and considering my age i don't think lowering my fats is wise either. I like my skin with butter and some beef and lamb fats. What are you gonna do to keep from losing anymore weight?

I can’t remember the last time I worked out. I honestly don’t like to. I like my fitness to be the byproduct of doing something I love like dancing, snowshoeing, swimming, jumping on trampolines, building, landscaping etc. My skin looks much better with fat, too, and also fresh fruit. I’m hoping that’s it for the weight-loss because I can’t afford to eat more. There’s no more room in this inn. I’m getting blood work tomorrow and will go from there. There’s a possibility that I’m either taking too much thyroid and I’m hyper or not enough thyroid and I’m catabolic. I’m really not sure, though. I just hope that it’s not my thyroid dose because I finally feel like I got it right. My blood pressure, pulse and temp are averaging 120/70, 90-95 and 99° with warm extremities.

I only started eating chocolate this last 4 days, and I did eat a cup of ricotta and a half pound of manchego (sheep milk) cheese with raw honey this week too.

Funny, I had ricotta and manchego last week. Does the manchego you have taste like butterscotch? I bought mine from Trader Joe’s and the description on the package says it has a caramel flavor, but all I taste is butterscotch and sadly, I’m not a fan of butterscotch. It’s the only manchego I’ve ever had so I’m not sure if that’s its flavor or something specific to the TJ’s brand.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I always enjoy your posts and am inspired by your success. Curious as to what you usually eat for breakfast. Are you saying with the milk drinking you are not eating eggs? I have an egg every day for breakfast along with 1 slice of bacon, a glass of orange juice and coffee with a little raw milk, sugar, a litte salt and a tablespoon of gelatin. Based on what you are doing my diet is a bit of disaster, lol.. would explain all the weight I have gained and my inablitly so far to lose any of it. I also do a few glasses of milk throughout the day. Had been drinking raw milk mostly for the past few years but have done a few stints, including right now, of drinking fat free milk to try and lose some pounds but nothing ever changes. The lower fat does not cause me to lose any weight so I may as just drink the raw as it is an unaltered food with much better taste. Should I not be eating eggs at all since I drink so much milk? If not, what would be a good breakfast?

That is so nice to hear somebody likes my ramblings! Before this recent weight loss, I was doing coffee lattes in the morning with whole milk, then a proper lunch, usually with eggs or a liver tostada, and then I would have some nonfat Strauss milk, with added vitamin A in it, and then eat a dinner. For taking off the fat it was leaving me not gaining and not losing. I then thought to try a milk meal replacement approach, since I was never getting near enough calcium not even close. i first started mixing the whole raw with the nonfat and drinking that instead of the proper lunch and still having a meat source for dinner, but no sides. In three weeks I noticed my clothes getting looser, so I knew I was on to something. I was eating a lot of raw honey too with a half cup of nonfat milk as snacks throughout the days. This week I dropped the vitamin A enriched nonfat and started skimming my whole raw milk in a carafe, leaving it for 24 hours, undisturbed, and using a turkey baster like Jennifer does to extract the cream. So now I start my day drinking instant coffees with the skimmed light cream and some sugar. Then I go into having my four cups of 2% milk with my chocolate truffle and have a meat source for dinner. I think adding milk on top of regular meals is a problem for fat loss. In my Lose Fat Not Pounds it was some mozzarella, but no milk and it worked, but not this fast. The milk is really filling and I am really not hungry come dinner, but I eat it anyway to keep me from getting hungry late. Here is the instant coffee I am using, it is really good I have 4 teaspoons of it between two cups and sometimes another in the afternoon. I make sure also that I have a sugar source with every protein except the milk. It has it's own sugars. I feel very balanced and energetic! Today I had a handful of macadamias about an hour after my chocolate, onion flavored. I had a handful on tuesday and wednesday too, but not yesterday. I will figure out where eggs might fight as I go along.

Attachments

• 20211008_164832.jpg
    20211008_164832.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211008_164942.jpg
    20211008_164942.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 23
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I can’t remember the last time I worked out. I honestly don’t like to. I like my fitness to be the byproduct of doing something I love like dancing, snowshoeing, swimming, jumping on trampolines, building, landscaping etc. My skin looks much better with fat, too, and also fresh fruit. I’m hoping that’s it for the weight-loss because I can’t afford to eat more. There’s no more room in this inn. I’m getting blood work tomorrow and will go from there. There’s a possibility that I’m either taking too much thyroid and I’m hyper or not enough thyroid and I’m catabolic. I’m really not sure, though. I just hope that it’s not my thyroid dose because I finally feel like I got it right. My blood pressure, pulse and temp are averaging 120/70, 90-95 and 99° with warm extremities.

Funny, I had ricotta and manchego last week. Does the manchego you have taste like butterscotch? I bought mine from Trader Joe’s and the description on the package says it has a caramel flavor, but all I taste is butterscotch and sadly, I’m not a fan of butterscotch. It’s the only manchego I’ve ever had so I’m not sure if that’s its flavor or something specific to the TJ’s brand.

No mine just tastes salty like a nutty version of parmesan. I wouldn't like my cheese to taste like butterscotch either. One of favorite things to do with it is to bake it on a high heat for maybe 10 minutes and drizzle it with honey when it comes out, and some roasted walnuts, but now that I don't eat walnuts anymore, I am gonna try out some chopped macadamias instead! You just eat all the melting goodness with a fork.

Jennifer

No mine just tastes salty like a nutty version of parmesan. I wouldn't like my cheese to taste like butterscotch either. One of favorite things to do with it is to bake it on a high heat for maybe 10 minutes and drizzle it with honey when it comes out, and some roasted walnuts, but now that I don't eat walnuts anymore, I am gonna try out some chopped macadamias instead! You just eat all the melting goodness with a fork.

That sounds really good! Have you ever tried grilling cheese? I want to try grilling cheese into chips for snacks and wraps for sandwiches and tacos. I did a search online and it appears there are companies who actually make cheese wraps so it’s doable:

taralynne

That is so nice to hear somebody likes my ramblings! Before this recent weight loss, I was doing coffee lattes in the morning with whole milk, then a proper lunch, usually with eggs or a liver tostada, and then I would have some nonfat Strauss milk, with added vitamin A in it, and then eat a dinner. For taking off the fat it was leaving me not gaining and not losing. I then thought to try a milk meal replacement approach, since I was never getting near enough calcium not even close. i first started mixing the whole raw with the nonfat and drinking that instead of the proper lunch and still having a meat source for dinner, but no sides. In three weeks I noticed my clothes getting looser, so I knew I was on to something. I was eating a lot of raw honey too with a half cup of nonfat milk as snacks throughout the days. This week I dropped the vitamin A enriched nonfat and started skimming my whole raw milk in a carafe, leaving it for 24 hours, undisturbed, and using a turkey baster like Jennifer does to extract the cream. So now I start my day drinking instant coffees with the skimmed light cream and some sugar. Then I go into having my four cups of 2% milk with my chocolate truffle and have a meat source for dinner. I think adding milk on top of regular meals is a problem for fat loss. In my Lose Fat Not Pounds it was some mozzarella, but no milk and it worked, but not this fast. The milk is really filling and I am really not hungry come dinner, but I eat it anyway to keep me from getting hungry late. Here is the instant coffee I am using, it is really good I have 4 teaspoons of it between two cups and sometimes another in the afternoon. I make sure also that I have a sugar source with every protein except the milk. It has it's own sugars. I feel very balanced and energetic! Today I had a handful of macadamias about an hour after my chocolate, onion flavored. I had a handful on tuesday and wednesday too, but not yesterday. I will figure out where eggs might fight as I go along.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, Rinse! May I ask where you buy your chocolate?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That sounds really good! Have you ever tried grilling cheese? I want to try grilling cheese into chips for snacks and wraps for sandwiches and tacos. I did a search online and it appears there are companies who actually make cheese wraps so it’s doable:

I have been grilling Halloumi, which is a grilling cheese) for 20 years. We love it! I just grill it and top it a couple of different ways. Here they are! I have to get some now, my mouth is watering!

Attachments

• 20201214_180015.jpg
    20201214_180015.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210101_001849.jpg
    20210101_001849.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 70
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, Rinse! May I ask where you buy your chocolate?

I am happy to help! I get my chocolate from Target and Vitacost.com. They make mint and salted caramel truffles that are so good too, as well as candy bars, all lecithin free. I stick with extra dark though for health purposes. It isn't so bitter like other dark chocolates. So SO good!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals