MK4 - K2 Menaquinone Color

JohnHafterson

Is there a standard color for Menaquinone (MK4)? I was under the impression this was a yellowish color.

Kuinone from Idealabs yellowish. Prior version from Health Natura also yellowish. Carlson 5mg powdered capsules also yellow.

Ordered recently from Health Natura and the liquid K2 is clear.

sweetpeat

Is there a standard color for Menaquinone (MK4)? I was under the impression this was a yellowish color.

Kuinone from Idealabs yellowish. Prior version from Health Natura also yellowish. Carlson 5mg powdered capsules also yellow.

I noticed the same thing. I sent an inquiry to the company and will post here when I get an answer.

sweetpeat

I got an answer today. Here is their reply:

"The batch of True K2 Mk4 you are asking about was made from a batch of lighter than usual Mk4 concentrate. This product has been tested for appropriate levels of active Mk4 to meet our advertised 1 mg per drop standard, just like every bottle we have sold and will sell.
We stand behind our products and are very interested in your satisfaction. If you are still concerned about the product, we would be happy to exchange it for one of our other True K2 formulations that is darker, or refund your money.
Please let me know what you would like to do and we'll make sure you are satisfied with your experience at HealthNatura.com.​

Be well and thank you for your business.
Health Natura, llc
Peter Kassner, NMD, Customer Service, Production, Formulary, Co-Owner
Cyndi Woolsey, MLIS, Customer Service, Operations Manager, Co-Owner"

haidut

Forum Supporter

MK-4 is always yellow in color, never white/transparent. MK-7, however, is typically whte-ish in color and when dissolved results in a clear liquid. You may have simply gotten the MK-7 version by mistake.

OP
JohnHafterson

JohnHafterson

I got an answer today. Here is their reply:

"The batch of True K2 Mk4 you are asking about was made from a batch of lighter than usual Mk4 concentrate. This product has been tested for appropriate levels of active Mk4 to meet our advertised 1 mg per drop standard, just like every bottle we have sold and will sell.
We stand behind our products and are very interested in your satisfaction. If you are still concerned about the product, we would be happy to exchange it for one of our other True K2 formulations that is darker, or refund your money.
Please let me know what you would like to do and we'll make sure you are satisfied with your experience at HealthNatura.com.​

Be well and thank you for your business.
Health Natura, llc
Peter Kassner, NMD, Customer Service, Production, Formulary, Co-Owner
Cyndi Woolsey, MLIS, Customer Service, Operations Manager, Co-Owner"
Interesting. Seems like a nice guy but doesn't make sense based on most things I've read.

Makes no mention of chemical or structural change to product.

From what I understand looking at the site below most if not all quinones are yellow or various colors unless they have the phenolic hydroxyl group removed in which case they can be clear.

And potentially in different oxidation states can be clear like CoQ10.

Ubiquinone ( oxidized CoQ10) is yellow for example. Ubiquinol ( reduced CoQ10) clear but can be oxidized back to ubiquinone gaining the color back.

Sigma Aldrich, Pub Chem, and FDA list several Vitamin K forms including phylloquinone (K1), MK4, MK6, and MK7 as yellow oils or powders.

Last edited:
OP
JohnHafterson

JohnHafterson

Reached out to Thorne about their MK4 K2 liquid supplement.

Their product is reddish orange:

Screenshot_20210707-145804.png

Quinones can take on different colors and color intensity due to auxophores and chromophores. Both of which influence activity of quinone due to lower/higher ability to absorb and transfer energy etc and function within mitochondria etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals