Is getting buzzcuts or short haircuts Peaty ?

JamesGatz

I think we should have a discussion on the importance of hair to metabolic rate - as some of you may recall I had the following email exchange with Ray:

Fade-beard-buzzcut-@patty_cuts-e1590724514578.jpg

Q:
I notice when I wear a cap or any type of headwear I get a great boost in temps/metabolism and feel serotonin lower a lot - I feel a lot more calm.

Does head insulation and increasing temperature for the brain provide a good boost in metabolism ? I was curious why I never see you in headwear or if this was correct

A:
" I wear a hat when I’m in a cold place, but generally my thick hair has been enough. Keeping the brain temperature up is extremely important, especially for restful sleep. It’s natural for the forehead to be a little cooler than the rear parts of the brain. In the winter I keep a high-watt bulb over my work area, shining on my head. "

And as we recall - I have made a few threads on the effect of wearing a cap on metabolism and the effects of raising temperatures on the brain on raising metabolic rate and keeping serotonin low.

I notice that when I cut my hair short - I feel like my metabolic rate tanks and I feel the need to wear a hat/cap - I wonder if this is why men with "bad haircuts" feel the need to wear these things - to instinctively keep the brain warm from removing hair - to keep the metabolic rate up and serotonin low- when my hair starts to get longer - like long enough to style - I feel like my metabolism is faster and am lower serotonin in general and wearing a cap doesn't have as much of an effect on me

It seems to be that there is an extremely important evolutionary reason for hair on the head related to metabolism and therefore short haircuts can be harmful to the person or animal and it seems to me that hair loss threads on the forum should be taken very seriously given it's importance - a person experiencing hair loss will only make a metabolic issue larger as they lose more hair

Last edited:

Ben.

While i think hats are a good way to keep the head warm, ideally a person has a baseline health where the blood flow and the internal heating/cooling system works so well that weather or haircuts should not "break the camels back" so to speak.

If we talk about hair loss in the sense loosing it without growing any back, then thats imo a ibvous sign that health wise something is wrong and should not be reduced to a cosmetical issue.

lampofred

Cutting the hair short can help to lower iron. Iron can raise brain temperature in a futile way (as opposed to the beneficial way thyroid raises brain temperature), so a person with high iron can increase mental clarity and lower futile heat by getting a short hair cut.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

While i think hats are a good way to keep the head warm, ideally a person has a baseline health where the blood flow and the internal heating/cooling system works so well that weather or haircuts should not "break the camels back" so to speak.

If we talk about hair loss in the sense loosing it without growing any back, then thats imo a ibvous sign that health wise something is wrong and should not be reduced to a cosmetical issue.
Cutting the hair short can help to lower iron. Iron can raise brain temperature in a futile way (as opposed to the beneficial way thyroid raises brain temperature), so a person with high iron can increase mental clarity and lower futile heat by getting a short hair cut.
Yes I agree i mentioned hair loss because i think that hairloss may be leading the person down a road where their metabolic rate will worsen and should be taken more seriously

Cutting the hair reduces iron ? I had no idea ... makes me wonder - Is iron stored in the hair then ? I have a hard time envisioning how this would work

PaRa

S/O to the iron opposed to thyroid

low iron is one of the most common cause of hypothyroidism

Why do you always have the dumbest bro-science posts

lampofred

Cutting the hair reduces iron ? I had no idea ... makes me wonder - Is iron stored in the hair then ? I have a hard time envisioning how this would work
It doesn't directly lower iron the way that blood donation directly lowers iron, it indirectly lowers iron by having an effect on brain temperature that is the opposite of the effect that iron has on brain temperature. In the long-run, it causes effects on the personality that are opposite to the effect that iron has on the personality and changes personality in a way that causes less iron retention. I view getting a very short haircut as a short-term, one-time tool to combat excess iron, not something maintain chronically, as in a low-iron state long hair likely has more positive effects than negative effects (such as by acting as an antenna as another poster mentioned).

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Also you keep following me around the forum - every thread I go to you arrive shortly after - it's interesting Tesla -if I didn't know any better I would say maybe you have a little crush on me man - man I don't roll that way I said many times

lampofred

S/O to the iron opposed to thyroid

low iron is one of the most common cause of hypothyroidism

Not saying iron deficiency doesn't exist but Peat has always said real thyroid is driven by calcium, not iron, and that iron excess is often more a problem than iron deficiency.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I'll tell you what Tesla - since you already admitted in the other thread that you like men and since CLEARLY you want to kiss me or something - you can DM me a link for a video call and I will LET YOU blow kisses in the camera for me - that's what you want right ? so then do it and if you don't do it then you're a keyboard warrior and you can keep admiring me from the distance hahahaha

equipoise

I'll tell you what Tesla - since you already admitted in the other thread that you like men and since CLEARLY you want to kiss me or something - you can DM me a link for a video call and I will LET YOU blow kisses in the camera for me - that's what you want right ? so then do it and if you don't do it then you're a keyboard warrior and you can keep admiring me from the distance hahahaha
Cringe

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Cringe nothing kid this business doesn't concern you but you can join him since you want to stand up for your boyfriend - actually you can bring your other boyfriends to this thread to do the same I actually do enjoy it when the boyfriends come together to take me on haha

@UseYourDelusion when you make the video call make sure you invite your boyfriend @equipoise and invite your other boyfriends to the call too - I would like it very much to see you all down on your knees in a submissive position while doing so (you know - you should be used to this already)

Last edited:

catharsis

Keeping brain temperature and CO2 high is very important (although I don't have any sources off the top of my head for this). My n=1 with wearing a beanie and growing my hair out is I am far more empathetic, seeming being able to intuit people's thoughts and, one time, being able to intuit what they were writing from across the room. The cons I have been getting are: I am far more suggestible to other ideas and I am way more emotional. The emotionality could be due to me quitting nicotine and cigarettes and estrogen running un-opposed due to lack of aromatase inhibition. Maybe more coffee and carrots will be able to fix this.

It is interesting to me to see a lot of religions talk about men having their hair grow long as the source of their power (Samson), or in religions having head coverings (Judaism and Sikhism come to me). I wonder if you supply adequate nutrition, your brain and its neurons can grow indefinitely.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Keeping brain temperature and CO2 high is very important (although I don't have any sources off the top of my head for this). My n=1 with wearing a beanie and growing my hair out is I am far more empathetic, seeming being able to intuit people's thoughts and, one time, being able to intuit what they were writing from across the room. The cons I have been getting are: I am far more suggestible to other ideas and I am way more emotional. The emotionality could be due to me quitting nicotine and cigarettes and estrogen running un-opposed due to lack of aromatase inhibition. Maybe more coffee and carrots will be able to fix this.

It is interesting to me to see a lot of religions talk about men having their hair grow long as the source of their power (Samson), or in religions having head coverings (Judaism and Sikhism come to me). I wonder if you supply adequate nutrition, your brain and its neurons can grow indefinitely.
Yes I am glad that you mention this because I think about the elongated skeletons in South America ... I wonder if the ancients found that creating the pressure of boards on the skull increased the size of the brain and/or neurons- it's an interesting thought to have and it's interesting to think the effects this might have on the brain

9de1c7fe3478b0514b35a6432e35b80a.jpg

Explorer

Are you sure Ray Peat wrote that answer? The writing style seems slightly off and has some terms that I have never seen Ray use and seems like something you placed in by yourself

Metabawlic

Royalty and free peoples have typically grown their hair out. Slaves and people going through boot camp or subservient training have had to shave their hair. Likely has hormonal consequences.

Last edited:
I know it's anecdotal, but John Lennon in 1969 with long hair seems to be much higher vibration and "nice" than John Lennon in 1970 with cropped hair, who comes across as caustic and hostile.

Dr. B

It doesn't directly lower iron the way that blood donation directly lowers iron, it indirectly lowers iron by having an effect on brain temperature that is the opposite of the effect that iron has on brain temperature. In the long-run, it causes effects on the personality that are opposite to the effect that iron has on the personality and changes personality in a way that causes less iron retention. I view getting a very short haircut as a short-term, one-time tool to combat excess iron, not something maintain chronically, as in a low-iron state long hair likely has more positive effects than negative effects (such as by acting as an antenna as another poster mentioned).
what do you mean antenna, and is that beneficial? is it due to the static effect of hair, you absorb certain things into the hair/head when its kept longer?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals