I’m Not Convinced Vitamin D Should Be Supplemented

duckduck

Well you can "survive" without cellphones and internet too, but if they make your life better and easier then why should you just try to survive? This vitamin d debate is pointless, it's the same as vegan vs omnivores. You can debate these things forever and nothing ever changes, no matter what research or whatever says, there will always be people who are anti D or pro D. Just let people live and do their own thing. Are you so worried about your stance that you have to seek approval of your views from other people?

Maljam

Cold dark countries have pale skinned people which help them make more vitamin D. Also they consume vitamin D from foods as animal products are always heavy in the diet for them. Eggs, fish, dairy...

Exactly. I come from cold dark country myself. I mean how did my parents and grandparents even survived then without vitamin D and they are all doing fine. Never used any sunscreens in summer and of course never been vegans/vegetarians.

I'm not disputing people live in cold dark countries, and i'm sure a lot are doing fine but could they be doing better with some vitamin d? The studies would suggest, yes. There is a huge difference between simply surviving and being as healthy as you can be.

Hirri

I understand the point and I am not rigid about vitamin D either, I am a bit confused and not sure what to believe because I have no health issues, and coincidence or not, a few times in my life when I took vitamin D I started having some. What is your opinion then about those tests? do you believe they really show vitamin D deficiency? Because I was told they are nonsense. And if you really want to know, you have to do 1.25D test.

duckduck

You know what, now that I think about it, all my health problems started when high dose (5000 IU) vitamin d supplements came to the market. I was perfectly healthy before when I didn't take any supplements, still healthy when I took small amount of D from multivitamin, 400-800 IU per day. Then came 5000 IU D and everyone said that it's the magic pill that cures everything and I started to take at least 5000 IU per day and my life has been downfall ever since. So maybe I will give no D a go.

Hirri

Well you can "survive" without cellphones and internet too, but if they make your life better and easier then why should you just try to survive? This vitamin d debate is pointless, it's the same as vegan vs omnivores. You can debate these things forever and nothing ever changes, no matter what research or whatever says, there will always be people who are anti D or pro D. Just let people live and do their own thing. Are you so worried about your stance that you have to seek approval of your views from other people?
You surely will be as healthy without cellphone or internet these days :D I was just saying that for me vitamin D made things worse, I was less healthy. Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know. But after I quit, I feel and am so much healthier. I of course spend a lot of time in the sun in summer and if not this stupid pandemic my goal is to go on holidays to tropical country in mid-winter, but I go to tanning salon once per week for 5 minutes and it's enough for me.

OP
M

MitchMitchell

You know what, now that I think about it, all my health problems started when high dose (5000 IU) vitamin d supplements came to the market. I was perfectly healthy before when I didn't take any supplements, still healthy when I took small amount of D from multivitamin, 400-800 IU per day. Then came 5000 IU D and everyone said that it's the magic pill that cures everything and I started to take at least 5000 IU per day and my life has been downfall ever since. So maybe I will give no D a go.

is your diet high in calcium as well?

duckduck

is your diet high in calcium as well?
It was when I first started taking 5000 IU vitamin d and it is now again because I recently started to drink milk again. I drink only organic milk with no added vitamin d and real organic milk has only less than 0,1 micrograms of D per 100ml.

Mito

I understand the point and I am not rigid about vitamin D either, I am a bit confused and not sure what to believe because I have no health issues, and coincidence or not, a few times in my life when I took vitamin D I started having some. What is your opinion then about those tests? do you believe they really show vitamin D deficiency? Because I was told they are nonsense. And if you really want to know, you have to do 1.25D test.
Test 25(OH)D and PTH at the same time. When they set the standard reference range for 25(OH)D, they set it for maximum suppression of PTH. Testing 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin at the same time is good too, but that’s usually a much more expensive test. If your 25(OH)D level is good and you have adequate dietary calcium, then PTH should be low. PTH stimulates the production of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D.

OP
M

MitchMitchell

It was when I first started taking 5000 IU vitamin d and it is now again because I recently started to drink milk again. I drink only organic milk with no added vitamin d and real organic milk has only less than 0,1 micrograms of D per 100ml.

I asked because I think that pairing up high doses of vitamin D and calcium is probably why you felt bad. Real organic milk definitely has tons of calcium and that would be overkill with vitamin D supplements. Conversely my GF is fiercely anti dairy and responds very well to 5000+ iu’s daily. Same with Coimbra patients who limit their calcium intake to rock bottom levels AND supplement magnesium.

but of course mainstream medicine writes scripts for high dose calcium and vitamin D.

Dave Clark

I am afraid of uvb lambs, it can trigger skin cancer.
You may as well be as afraid of the sun, because the sun produces the same damaging rays when exposed too long. In fact, the lamp is safer since it only takes 5 minutes a session/day, when people in general will go outside and spend more time then needed in the sun, simply because they enjoy it. And for the person who thinks the lamps don't work, Sperti's lamps have been tested to produce vitamin D and for safety, and are FDA approved under that criteria. Anyone can get a full spectrum light or a red light to supplement other rays, and blue block at night. This argument is old, Sperti has been making lamps since the 1940s and they were used in nursing homes and hospitals to raise the levels of D in the patients when they could not get in the sun. Your body knows what to do when D is produced through the skin, it is natures intended way, but when you consume oral D in 'high doses', you are in a sense forcing your body to deal with this hormone, possibly making an imbalance in the liver, and raising storage levels that are really not needed (low D levels in lab tests could be an effect and not a cause) and have negative cascading effects.

duckduck

I have Sperti and using it the whole 5 minutes on same spot with the recommended distance, I don't get any redness on my skin. I'm really light skinned northern european. I don't think there's any concern of skin cancer with Sperti if it doesn't make your skin even red one bit.

blob69

You may as well be as afraid of the sun, because the sun produces the same damaging rays when exposed too long. In fact, the lamp is safer since it only takes 5 minutes a session/day, when people in general will go outside and spend more time then needed in the sun, simply because they enjoy it. And for the person who thinks the lamps don't work, Sperti's lamps have been tested to produce vitamin D and for safety, and are FDA approved under that criteria. Anyone can get a full spectrum light or a red light to supplement other rays, and blue block at night. This argument is old, Sperti has been making lamps since the 1940s and they were used in nursing homes and hospitals to raise the levels of D in the patients when they could not get in the sun. Your body knows what to do when D is produced through the skin, it is natures intended way, but when you consume oral D in 'high doses', you are in a sense forcing your body to deal with this hormone, possibly making an imbalance in the liver, and raising storage levels that are really not needed (low D levels in lab tests could be an effect and not a cause) and have negative cascading effects.

When you sunbathe you are exposed to other wavelengths besides UV that are healing (red light), that is why the combination is better for health than UV lamps alone.

T

TheBeard

But they are not saying that vitamin D is bad, they just say that you should get it from sun or food and that the tests that doctors do are inaccurate and many people simply don't have deficiency if they spend enough time in the sun and don't use sunscreens.

I'm also supposed to not have any B vitamin deficiency with all the raw milk I drink and the liver I eat.
But I feel like ***t on a daily basis unless I supplement with B vitamins.
Don't assume that because you do everything right you are not deficient.

T

TheBeard

What symptoms did you experience?

duckduck

What symptoms did you experience?
Before vitamin d supplements I was very social person, I loved meeting new people, never felt any nervousness even when speaking in front of large crowd and I had good erections. After I started taking 5000 IU every day I have been suffering from bad erections and I'm really tense and nervous all the time. I now fear large crowds and I'm very anti-social. I have tried taking lots of magnesium and k2 but no help. Just stopped taking vitamin D today.

redsun

Before vitamin d supplements I was very social person, I loved meeting new people, never felt any nervousness even when speaking in front of large crowd and I had good erections. After I started taking 5000 IU every day I have been suffering from bad erections and I'm really tense and nervous all the time. I now fear large crowds and I'm very anti-social. I have tried taking lots of magnesium and k2 but no help. Just stopped taking vitamin D today.

Interesting, this is the kind of thing you would expect to happen when the thyroid is lowered.

Giraffe

In another thread you wrote that your diet consists of "200g black beans, 300g red lentils, 250g barley, 500g white cabbage and 1 litre of whole milk". You mentioned that you have "orange palms and face". This diet makes you prone to hypothyroidism and you describe symptoms that are suggestive of hypothyroidism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals