I’m Not Convinced Vitamin D Should Be Supplemented

mrchibbs

Some good points made here. I’m on the side of vitamin D supplements not being the be all end all in case of low 25OHD (that said if it worked for someone here, great). There’s definitely always a reason for a specific hormone going low in the serum.

whether this is caused by low riboflavin, or magnesium, or calcium, or all of the above, remains to be investigated. My take is on “all of the above”. It’s kinda like hypothyroidism... lack of ammo = slow metabolism = hormonal issues “corrected”’ by the pituitary. Seems that one way or the other things always circle back to how trashed our food supply is with a massive excess of fat vs glucose.

I agree with you, "all of the above" indeed.

Peroxphos

I have the Sperti, I have never smelt anything strange. I'm receiving the Osram 300W soon, to compare.

@rei have you been able to estimate any rule of equivalence between oral IU and navel IU ?

I'm currently using a 25w UVB lamp for reptiles (Exo Terra Reptile 150) - and it's pretty powerful - first few time I used it caused a little burn after 15 minutes of use. Pretty sure it does something. I also use an LED red light right after it to somewhat offset the harmful effects of the UV light.

Inaut

Boron and some vitamin d (navel) are a great combo.

haven't done my vit D test in a while but will do so and let you know where my levels are at @mrchibbs. I've been doing the vitamin d navelly(new word) over the last 2 weeks and notice a significant change in my mood on the days that I do. I've drastically reduced the amount of supplements I take orally as well.

mrchibbs

Boron and some vitamin d (navel) are a great combo.

haven't done my vit D test in a while but will do so and let you know where my levels are at @mrchibbs. I've been doing the vitamin d navelly(new word) over the last 2 weeks and notice a significant change in my mood on the days that I do. I've drastically reduced the amount of supplements I take orally as well.

Me too, I try to remove most oral supplements. I'm down to just tyromix, tocovit and k2 I think. Still take things like aspirin dissolved in a drink or cascara as needed. Idefinitely feel best with vitamin D applied topically as well. I'm just hoping the Sperti Lamp will be a little extra boost. I do take a little cortinon "navelly"©:chaplin (you should get a copyright!)

Do let us know when you get the levels!

Last edited:

mrchibbs

I'm currently using a 25w UVB lamp for reptiles (Exo Terra Reptile 150) - and it's pretty powerful - first few time I used it caused a little burn after 15 minutes of use. Pretty sure it does something. I also use an LED red light right after it to somewhat offset the harmful effects of the UV light.

That's the right approach I think. According to Michael Holick it should cause slight erythema that's still pink after 24 hours in order to produce 10000-20000UI of vitamin D.
The red light just replicates what the sun would provide, a wide spectrum from UVB to NIR

rei

I have the Sperti, I have never smelt anything strange. I'm receiving the Osram 300W soon, to compare.

@rei have you been able to estimate any rule of equivalence between oral IU and navel IU ?
no i have not even tried navel vit d, just heard about it and researched it after latest DR/haidut podcast. Luckily my vit.d 10k iu are in the form of gelcaps so i can open them and will try it in the future.

OP
M

MitchMitchell

I agree with you, "all of the above" indeed.

it seems to be a consistent pattern coming from the wrong interpretation of excess sodium/calcium/acidification you name it. What used to make sense was “REDUCE sodium-calcium” yadda yadda. Then supplement. When the solution is to get more: magnesium, potassium, etc.

it’s a bit of a two punch wrong pattern: eat LESS supplement MORE. Instead of just eating more.

I think this article speaks for itself (at least the graphs are pretty telling):

The effect of minerals on hunger and satiety - Marty Kendall

I’ll watch the video shared earlier on in this thread after work. I’m supposing some of this article would be redundant. Anyhoo I’m supposing low 25OHD = low *any hormone* = some major bunch of mineral and/or vitamin deficiency = eat more

Frankdee20

Since I began supplementation a few years ago after having a level of 19, it’s made quite the difference in my mental health ... Rainy and cloudy days would give me depression and malaise’s feelings.... My moods aren’t effected that way anymore.... my level was 32 back in July....

OP
M

MitchMitchell

Since I began supplementation a few years ago after having a level of 19, it’s made quite the difference in my mental health ... Rainy and cloudy days would give me depression and malaise’s feelings.... My moods aren’t effected that way anymore.... my level was 32 back in July....

interesting, reminds me of my GF. Do you not go outside at all even on cloudy days? I get pretty dark in the summer but quite white in the winter and always spend as much time as I can outside which is... barely half an hour daily I bet, most days. Getting some good air always makes an impact.

LeeLemonoil

@Amazoniac
@Mito
@Tristan Loscha
@LLight

Vitamin D supplement reduces cancer mortality

Vitamin D supplement reduces cancer mortality

If you take a high-dose vitamin D supplement every day, it will not reduce your risk of cancer. But it will reduce the chance that your cancer will spread, and the chance that your disease will kill you. Researchers from Harvard University report this in JAMA Open.

Study

The researchers used data collected in the VITAL study. In that project, nearly thirteen thousand test subjects took a supplement containing 2000 IU vitamin D3 every day for 5 years. That is the same as 50 micrograms of vitamin D3.

An equally large group was given a placebo.

The researchers kept track of which study participants got cancer, whether the cancer metastasized and whether the study participants died from the cancer.

Results
Vitamin D supplementation had no effect on cancer incidence. However, vitamin D had an effect on the incidence of fatal forms of cancer and metastatic forms of cancer [advanced cancer]. In the group that received vitamin D, the risk of advanced cancer was 17 percent lower than in the placebo group.

When the researchers split their subjects according to BMI, they saw that the protective effect of vitamin D was greater in the group with a relatively low BMI.

Conclusion

"This randomized clinical trial of daily high-dose vitamin D supplementation for 5 years reduced the incidence of advanced (metastatic or fatal) cancer in the overall cohort of adults without a diagnosis of cancer at baseline, with strongest risk reduction in individuals with normal weight", the researchers summarize their findings.

"Additional randomized trials focusing on cancer patients should be considered, as well as investigations of differential benefit by BMI. Even if vitamin D effects were modest, vitamin D supplementation at the studied levels are much less toxic and lower cost than many current cancer therapies."

Source:
JAMA Network Open. 2020;3(11):e2025850.

Hirri

There is a great group of people in facebook called Secosteroid Hormone D who talk science against vitamin D supplements. So much good information there.

Oral Vitamin D is safe, and a sure and easy win for those that cannot afford daylight tanning. I read Trevor Marshall's work with great interest and curiosity, but it doesn't produce impact in reality, but is well reasoned. vD has immense and nearly equivocal research backing even by more critical scientists and sceptics; in the end, it is a exogenous/endogenous hybrid hormone that needs to be in place, no matter where it is coming from. Imperfections arising from the route of administration and so on are duly noted, but sufficient amounts of substances simply matter more than mode/site of applications in a risk/reward assessement.

Last edited:

Maljam

There is a great group of people in facebook called Secosteroid Hormone D who talk science against vitamin D supplements. So much good information there.

The people that call vitamin d "hormone d" are always misguided IMO. They get lost in this whole debate of what it should be called. They use the word hormone in place of vitamin to make it seem scary. Like people are suddenly hopping on bodybuilding hormones as soon as they take some vitamin D.

Except does hormone D cause people to feel better, are there thousands upon thousands of studies showing benefits from vitamin d intervention? Who gives a ***t if its technically a hormone, or a vitamin, or something else. Is it making people feel better? Is it protecting against disease?

LeeLemonoil

We might not get enough of the dieatary D-Vitaminoids that are classified as Ecdysteroids at the moment

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals