High Dose Iodine, Are We Right

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
For anyone interested in our iodine experiment. @burtlancast (?) Guests were here for 5 days. There were 11 (up to 15) of us and it was stressful but fun. (A 2- year-old and 2 5-year-olds kept things lively.) During that time I maintained a 350 mg daily dose of Lugols. I had heart palpitations a few nights, but salt and protein stopped them. (Bromine detox can cause heart arrythmia.)
I'm still detoxing bromine through my sinuses (and eyes) but it isn't keeping me awake anymore. I AM taking 1 extra tsp of salt (divided) and extra magnesium (chloride and glycinate) plus Vit C (4-5 grams) to tackle the free bromine and remove it quickly.

Some of my family members are also increasing their iodine doses. They are also having symptoms of bromine detox. Free bromine is very caustic and will burn on the way out. This scares people and they blame the iodine for it when the iodine is purging the toxic substance. When bromine is stored in the tissues I think the body puts a little here and a little there, but once larger amounts go into circulation it can be uncomfortable. We've had burning throat (me, 3 days), burning eyes and fever, a couple have had itchy burning rashes, and one had boil like eruptions. ALL are symptoms of bromine toxicity (Materia Medica). Fortunately these don't last very long. Once the bromine is cleared so are the unpleasant effects (it may happen in waves). To reduce these, one can work up slowly and then back down to a maintenance dose when necessary.

The experiment continues.
Awesome report! Thank you! :)

S.Holmes

Awesome report! Thank you! :)
You're very welcome.

Some have wondered why I'm taking so much. I own and have read all of Dr. Peat's books and subscribed to his newsletters as well. I was discouraged that in one of his books he said women who have migraines in their teens and early 20's will go into irreversible decline early in life. This was me. So I thought what have I got to lose? I have really struggled with health issues my whole life, except for about 10 or 15 years when homeopathy really helped, and now I've struggled again, for over a decade. But having lost 2 younger sisters to chronic illness and subsequent suicides I plan to keep looking for answers. I have experimented for many years and decided it was a good time to go all in on iodine. We'll see what happens!

S.Holmes

In case anyone is checking in on this thread, I'm still doing well on the high doses of iodine. I take 250 to 300 mg most days and 1 gram one or two days a week. Bromine detox has been interesting and if I hadn't known what to watch for I might have gotten discouraged and given up. But so far so good!

Peater

In case anyone is checking in on this thread, I'm still doing well on the high doses of iodine. I take 250 to 300 mg most days and 1 gram one or two days a week. Bromine detox has been interesting and if I hadn't known what to watch for I might have gotten discouraged and given up. But so far so good!

That's encouraging. Temps and pulse still OK?

S.Holmes

That's encouraging. Temps and pulse still OK?
Better than ever. I took thyroid for years (mostly T3) which did nothing for me. The experiment continues!
1000006030.jpg

Peater

You're very welcome.

Some have wondered why I'm taking so much. I own and have read all of Dr. Peat's books and subscribed to his newsletters as well. I was discouraged that in one of his books he said women who have migraines in their teens and early 20's will go into irreversible decline early in life. This was me. So I thought what have I got to lose? I have really struggled with health issues my whole life, except for about 10 or 15 years when homeopathy really helped, and now I've struggled again, for over a decade. But having lost 2 younger sisters to chronic illness and subsequent suicides I plan to keep looking for answers. I have experimented for many years and decided it was a good time to go all in on iodine. We'll see what happens!

I overlooked this, that's amazing it's brought you such dramatic improvement? Do you take Boron too?

S.Holmes

I overlooked this, that's amazing it's brought you such dramatic improvement? Do you take Boron too?
I have taken boron and even tried drinking borax water for several months. I take a small weekly dose of boron now. Nothing has helped as much as iodine (Lugols). Im also taking high doses of thiamine, niacinamide, C, and magnesium.

Peater

I have taken boron and even drank borax water. Nothing has helped as much as iodine (Lugols). Im also taking high doses of thiamine, niacinamide, C, and magnesium.

Interesting thanks. I take borax too, not in any therapeutic dose just a little on the tip of my finger. It's another one of those "But you shouldn't take that!" things.

S.Holmes

Interesting thanks. I take borax too, not in any therapeutic dose just a little on the tip of my finger. It's another one of those "But you shouldn't take that!" things.
Right? We can't be free of Big Pharma! That would be upsetting to some in high places.

OP
M

mgrabs

One month later on 12.5mg per day WITH a 1.5 grains of thyroid. TSH in increased from 3 to 8.5. Not good. Lol.

TheSir

One month later on 12.5mg per day WITH a 1.5 grains of thyroid. TSH in increased from 3 to 8.5. Not good. Lol.
Are you feeling more hypo? As you might have read, TSH is known to increase upon iodine supplementation due to reasons that do not have anything to do with hypothyroidism. Rather, the thyroid is just being signalled to increase the production of a specific compound responsible for iodine uptake. Elevated TSH in absence of heightened hypo symptoms is generally not a cause for concern and is even desirable in this context. It will go back down once the thyroid has been saturated with iodine.

Last edited:

Ras

TSH must rise when taking iodide. This is the normal, correct response to taking iodide. TSH not rising would be an abnormal problem.

OP
M

mgrabs

Are you feeling more hypo? As you might have read, TSH is known to increase upon iodine supplementation due to reasons that do not have anything to do with hypothyroidism. Rather, the thyroid is just being signalled to increase the production of a specific compound responsible for iodine uptake. Elevated TSH in absence of heightened hypo symptoms is generally not a cause for concern and is even desirable in this context. It will go back down once the thyroid has been saturated with iodine.
TSH must rise when taking iodide. This is the normal, correct response to taking iodide. TSH not rising would be an abnormal problem.
Im not sure cause my t3 dropped as well. I feel a little more hypo too. Ive read from some people that their TSH never even dropped while being on iodine. Just stayed elevated even 1 yeAr plus

youngsinatra

Im not sure cause my t3 dropped as well. I feel a little more hypo too. Ive read from some people that their TSH never even dropped while being on iodine. Just stayed elevated even 1 yeAr plus
That happened to multiple people I know that have been on high-dose iodine for 1-2 years. Many also had high reverse T3.

OP
M

mgrabs

That happened to multiple people I know that have been on high-dose iodine for 1-2 years. Many also had high reverse T3.
Exactly. So ive been a lab rat this month. Not sure if its worth proceeding. I might stick with thyroid hormone. And keep working on adrenals. My dhea is still low. Im on 5mg dhea daily. Whats the highest i should possibly up it? I came in at 115 level. Out of 90-550

Why are there so many success stories supplementing anywhere from 1mg upwards to 12.5mg to 50mg?
Because like most supplements it works when you need it and quits working, and then goes south, when you don’t need it. I don’t understand why people treat supplements like they are food. Even eating shrimp everyday for iodine is going to cause a problem, why wouldn’t an iodine supplement? The thyroid is as tricky as the fluid in your brain, so you better be sure of what you are doing.

S.Holmes

This article may help those who suffer from iodophobia. :smirk:

I'm still on a high dose (I now take 1 gram once a week and between 200 and 400 mg other days) but decided to try just potassium iodide (sans iodine) for a while. Because inflammation is the body's way of stimulating healing and throat cancer runs in my family and I've always had throat infections (strep) since childhood, my throat has been burning (inflammation) from the Lugols even though I take it in a capsule with food and drink. But I suspect when stored bromine is being displaced by the iodine it will also cause burning. Bromine is caustic. Iodine is also a mucus membrane irritant and I've read that KI is less irritating. I'm reading everything I can find about iodine and KI and how they work at therapeutic doses. I'll be adjusting the dose until I find the therapeutic dose that causes the least discomfort (detox reaction).

My husband is still on 63 to 126 mg of Lugols daily and having no issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals