Help my husband prevent further hair loss - where to start?

Over the last 5 years, my husband (37 yrs old) has very slowly started experiencing hair loss and a receding hairline around both temples. This has coincided with some other shifts, perhaps hormonally, from having a bulged disc + stopping weightlifting + high stress job. He has always (in my opinion) had pretty robust health and still maintains a fairly high metabolism (high temps and pulse), eats a lot, and has a good amount of muscle mass, but has also started having some mild gut/energy issues along with the hair loss.

I have scoured this forum for help addressing my own health issues but the male side of things is super overwhelming to me!! Particularly the amount of info on balding as this is one of the most popular topics and is frankly a minefield. I have done a fair amount of research so far and started him on aspirin, vitamin K and red light on the scalp. We eat a lot of animal fat + protein + dairy and avoid PUFAs as much as possible...

Would any men out there be able to chime in with a list of the top things (e.g., supplements, diet, lifestyle, etc) you have found really help prevent hair loss? Or if there is anything obvious I am not thinking about? Any advice would be so so appreciated!! :praying:

ursidae

PCOS and MPB are two sides of the same coin

Did you manage to resolve your acne issue?

OP
curious_anthro
PCOS and MPB are two sides of the same coin

Did you manage to resolve your acne issue?
Hi there @ursidae! The MPB is my husband, not me. Thankfully that is one thing I have not experienced. And sadly no... still really struggling with my acne :cry:

golder

Hi there @ursidae! The MPB is my husband, not me. Thankfully that is one thing I have not experienced. And sadly no... still really struggling with my acne :cry:
Fingers crossed for you and your husband. If he manages to l have any success with any strategies please share it with us in this thread. It’s a really hard nut to crack!

PhilParma

You're right; it's a minefield. I haven't found anything to regrow hair.

A lot of people say that Vitamin K accelerates their hairloss. Personally, I don't know, but that's what they say.

Aspirin reduces the PGE2 enzyme which is supposedly good for hair. There is a recent thread on the forum about oral castor oil for hair growth and other enhancements. Castor oil increases PGE2. I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying. It's messy when applied topically.

I think red light is good.

The best hair growth remedies I've seen have been from some combination of microneedling the scalp, applying minoxidil to the scalp, and taking/applying finasteride. I'm not recommending anything, I'm just saying what seems to work the best.

I think applying zinc to the scalp can be helpful. Not zinc shampoo, but a zinc solution, and leaving it on the scalp. Zinc gluconate is highly soluble in water, very easy to mix. You can search for "Zix hairloss." There is a zinc product called Dermazinc if you don't feel like mixing the solution yourself. I'm telling you about zinc because it's a relatively simple thing to try. There is an entire rabbit hole of Male Pattern Baldness that you can go down if you want to tackle this in earnest, but you probably need a bit of OCD to really commit to it. Most people just go for the easy solution--nuke their DHT with finasteride, or get a hair transplant.

I started applying lard for a week now and my hairloss is almost non existant. Prior to that I had lot's of hairs falling off. I cannot say anything about a hair regrowth just yet.

Also, all my eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, dandurf and chalk-like scalp are 200% gone. Without a trace.

Vins7

I started applying lard for a week now and my hairloss is almost non existant. Prior to that I had lot's of hairs falling off. I cannot say anything about a hair regrowth just yet.

Also, all my eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, dandurf and chalk-like scalp are 200% gone. Without a trace.
OMG. I would appreciate if you update how things are going with this.

OP
curious_anthro
Thank you to those chimed in 🙏 @Vins7 @PhilParma

@UG Krishnamurti Really interesting about the lard?! Do you just rub it in and leave it there for the day?

I am reeling a bit after reading about everything going on right now (e.g., Georgi, low vit A, etc) so I don't even know what to think now about anything 🤯 This thread feels very ill timed but I only saw all of this after the fact. Hopefully all will come out the other side eventually with some clarity!

Do you just rub it in and leave it there for the day?
Yeah. After the day, I rub it in the evening and after a couple of hours I go to sleep with a plastic bathing cap or whatever you call that and I wash it first thing in the morning.
I am reeling a bit after reading about everything going on right now (e.g., Georgi, low vit A, etc) so I don't even know what to think now about anything 🤯 This thread feels very ill timed but I only saw all of this after the fact. Hopefully all will come out the other side eventually with some clarity
Perceive, Think, Act. Don't rely on anyone else's experience. Experiment yourself and see what works.

A lot of Ray's advices did me wrong personally, but he never forced anyone to do anything and I do owe him A LOT. I think VIT A theory is bull**** personally, but yet again - I could be wrong.

hierundjetzt

I have been applying lard since the end if last year. I haven't noticed any improvement at all, but may be too early to tell.

In your case with psoriasis etc, I do think it could be helpful. For regrowth not so sure...

I have been applying lard since the end if last year. I haven't noticed any improvement at all, but may be too early to tell.

In your case with psoriasis etc, I do think it could be helpful. For regrowth not so sure...
In the study I've mentioned the application of lard lasted for 8 months so it might take some time.

OP
curious_anthro
Perceive, Think, Act. Don't rely on anyone else's experience. Experiment yourself and see what works.
Agreed. I’m willing to try anything once. I’m just now realizing I may need to back track on a lot of things we have been doing, thinking they would help but maybe they weren’t? The good thing is that this is probably making us all evaluate whether or not certain strategies ARE working for us. Rather than just pressing on hoping they will at some point.

GreekDemiGod

How do you wash out the lard?

How do you wash out the lard?
I just wash it with natural milk soap in the morning. I usually like to use a bit of toilet paper to remove the fat before washing - but not always.

It washes off pretty well. I have no oily residues on my scalp.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals