1 month post Covid and I’m developing hair loss. Help.

DB_2014

I had Covid a little over a month ago. This virus itself wasn’t bad. Just fatigue and fever. Although I did lose my sense of taste and smell for a bit.

Fast forward to now, I’m suddenly experiencing rapid hair loss. Nothing in my diet or environment has changed. There are numerous of counts of people losing their hair post-Covid, so I’m suspicious this is the reason. This isn’t male pattern baldness type hair loss either. There is dramatic thinning. All over my head. What nutrients/modalities can I try to offset this?

So far, all I can think of is:

- Red light therapy
- Coffee enemas to clean up the liver (the liver is correlated with hair growth in Chinese medicine)
- Oysters and liver for zinc/copper/micronutrients
- Milk for calcium and other micronutrient content
- Avoid wheat
- Avoid PUFA and high endotoxin foods
- Vitamin D3/K2 (my vitamin D came back at 30 on a scale of 30-100)

Any other ideas? I know anything that improves thyroid/metabolism should help in theory. I’m really wanting to find out why Covid would cause hair loss though. It wasn’t any more stressful to my body than any other illness I’ve experienced in the last 6 years.

Peatful

How high was your fever?

You are experiencing telogen effluvium.
Very common after high fever.

It has to run it’s course.
About three months total.

What it may possibly point to is that your metabolism at the time of catching c19- wasn’t as good as you want it to be.
Even catching c19 correlates to not the strongest metabolism- or a stressed one at best.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Telogen effluvium is quite alarming and distressing.
I had it in a chronic form for years.
Continue to eat robustly with foods that warm you up and agree with you.

Perry Staltic

I’m really wanting to find out why Covid would cause hair loss though. It wasn’t any more stressful to my body than any other illness I’ve experienced in the last 6 years.

I really want to know how you know covid is causing hair loss? Hope you didn't get the clot shot.

Xavage

I had same thing. A month after Covid I lost some hair, I started to panic but it eventually stopped and returned after a few months.

OP
D

DB_2014

I really want to know how you know covid is causing hair loss? Hope you didn't get the clot shot.
No, I didn’t get the shot. If you actually read my post, you would see I never said that I “know” Covid is causing hair loss. I specifically stated “I’m suspicious this is the reason”.

Perry Staltic

No, I didn’t get the shot. If you actually read my post, you would see I never said that I “know” Covid is causing hair loss. I specifically stated “I’m suspicious this is the reason”.

I did read your post and thought your language was inconsistent because I misread "I’m really wanting to find out why Covid would cause hair loss" as "I’m really wanting to find out why Covid caused hair loss"

Centsmom

Peatful is right . I got Covid last Sept .After a month I starting losing handfuls of hair for 3 1/2months . It was quite alarming ! I even knit myself a hat because I thought I was going to go bald .I focused on nutrition and tried to not stress over . I have new 1 inch hair growth now. Hang in there !

OP
D

DB_2014

How high was your fever?

You are experiencing telogen effluvium.
Very common after high fever.

It has to run it’s course.
About three months total.

What it may possibly point to is that your metabolism at the time of catching c19- wasn’t as good as you want it to be.
Even catching c19 correlates to not the strongest metabolism- or a stressed one at best.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Telogen effluvium is quite alarming and distressing.
I had it in a chronic form for years.
Continue to eat robustly with foods that warm you up and agree with you.

Thank you for this reply. So you think it will eventually reverse as long as I attend to my nutrition and metabolism adequately?

And my fever was 103. But I’ve had the flu almost every year and get up to 103 for almost a week with the flu, and I never have hair loss post flu.

I had Covid a little over a month ago. This virus itself wasn’t bad. Just fatigue and fever. Although I did lose my sense of taste and smell for a bit.

Fast forward to now, I’m suddenly experiencing rapid hair loss. Nothing in my diet or environment has changed. There are numerous of counts of people losing their hair post-Covid, so I’m suspicious this is the reason. This isn’t male pattern baldness type hair loss either. There is dramatic thinning. All over my head. What nutrients/modalities can I try to offset this?

So far, all I can think of is:

- Red light therapy
- Coffee enemas to clean up the liver (the liver is correlated with hair growth in Chinese medicine)
- Oysters and liver for zinc/copper/micronutrients
- Milk for calcium and other micronutrient content
- Avoid wheat
- Avoid PUFA and high endotoxin foods
- Vitamin D3/K2 (my vitamin D came back at 30 on a scale of 30-100)

Any other ideas? I know anything that improves thyroid/metabolism should help in theory. I’m really wanting to find out why Covid would cause hair loss though. It wasn’t any more stressful to my body than any other illness I’ve experienced in the last 6 years.

My friend is having the same problem and said it has been since she had Covid a year ago. I can't deny that it is apparent, as her hair looks dry and brittle and she is in her middle 40's.

Last edited:

Peatful

Thank you for this reply. So you think it will eventually reverse as long as I attend to my nutrition and metabolism adequately?

And my fever was 103. But I’ve had the flu almost every year and get up to 103 for almost a week with the flu, and I never have hair loss post flu.

Yes. Your fever stopped the growing process and put your hair into telogen phase.
Your hair fall currently is a sign of new growth.
The new hairs are pushing out the old dead hairs and that’s what u see falling.

Correct. Concentrate on your metabolism. Vitamin D levels. Etc. to assure what is coming back in now is strong, healthy and nourished.

grapes

There is a theory that on Covid liver releases vitamin A, if that's true that's what could have caused hair loss.

B

Blaze

Vitamin A does not cause hair loss unless overdosed. Many treatments for hair loss actually include vitamin A as it is helpful. It might only somehow contribute to hair loss when taken in extreme amounts. I suppose Grapes is saying the theory is that the liver can somehow release it's stores of Vitamin A due to Covid in amounts large enough to cause hair loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

grapes

Vitamin A hypervitaminosis cause hair loss, Accutane (a medicament - a type of vitamin A in very large amounts) does. So if indeed liver releases vitamin A and its stores are big enough I can imagine the causation.

Peatful

I had COVID around Halloween, and only the past couple weeks have seen significant hair shedding. I had no fever when I had COVID.

Ceramide accumulation?

Another possibility, disruption of telomerase
If covid taxed your body- it is still the same response; however, easier to diagnose if febrile.
It is still TE.

What you site may be a pathway for TE.
I don’t know the physiological / hormonal connections behind TE. Only the mechanisms- and anecdotally, my personal experience.

Hi guys,

6 weeks ago, I’ve experienced pretty similar symptoms as above - omicron-like (though not tested, just a guess) illness - 4 days of 37.5-38.5 C fever, shallow ‘itchy’ cough, pain in the bones and somehow on the skin …
7-10 days later I’m pretty much back to normal, except some excessive hair shedding in the shower, also some (subjective) more visible scalp through the hair.

How do you guys distinguish between telogen effluvium (lesser of the two evils), and the initial signs of MPB?

I’m male, 41, pretty good hair until now (pray to god I’m actually delusional about this hair issue), although I’ve had some dandruff in the past few months (treated on-and-off with ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral)).

Thanks!

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals