Folinic Acid Stops My Hair Loss

Curiousman

Terma

OP
ddjd

ddjd

@Terma i'm not sure what your opinon is with regards to genetics, but I've just discovered i'm homozygous for the DHFR enzyme (rs1643649), this is common in only 6% of the population. This might go some way to explaining why i respond so well to folinic acid.

" The DHFR gene encodes an enzyme that plays a part in folate metabolism. It contributes to the de novo mitochondrial thymidylate biosynthesis pathway. Catalyzes an essential reaction for de novo glycine and purine synthesis, and for DNA precursor synthesis. Binds its own mRNA and that of DHFRL1."

Terma

Frankly I stopped looking into 23andme-based explanations after mine turned out to be a runaround - a few "rare" but none clinically significant - a sea of false positives - despite the fact I have very obvious inherited problems - it's technological/research limitation more than anything. I gave up and never acquired the background needed to answer your question and been putting it off, sorry.

You might be able to find it in the old posts of this forum: SNPs for Dihydrofolate Reductase (DHFR)

It would have roughly the same effect as Methotrexate. I can't remember what the magnitude of the loss of function would be if it's significant (30% was a popular number among folate enzymes, but can't remember which one that was).

Pointless

I've been taking 400-800 mcg of folinic acid the last few days, and I think it's made my shedding worse. Doesn't seem to be a fit for me.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I've been taking 400-800 mcg of folinic acid the last few days, and I think it's made my shedding worse. Doesn't seem to be a fit for me.
Are you taking methyl b12 with it? They need to go together

Amazoniac

- Intestinal absorption of water-soluble vitamins in health and disease

"In the diet, folate exists in the form of mono- and polyglutamates. Folate polyglutamates are hydrolysed to folate monoglutamates prior to absorption. This digestion process occurs mainly in the proximal part of the small intestine and involves the enzyme folylpoly-γ -glutamate carboxypeptidase. With regard to the bacterial-provided folate in the large intestine, a substantial portion of this folate exists in the folate monoglutamate form and thus is available for absorption [79]."​

Orangeyouglad

So I purchased some Folinic Acid to try this out about a week ago...

Funny thing, for the first two days I took an entire DROPPER of this stuff both days instead of the recommended single drop.

I don’t know what I was thinking. Anyway, do I have anything to worry about here?

GorillaHead

So I purchased some Folinic Acid to try this out about a week ago...

Funny thing, for the first two days I took an entire DROPPER of this stuff both days instead of the recommended single drop.

I don’t know what I was thinking. Anyway, do I have anything to worry about here?

considering you are still here and alive i think you will be fine.

as for this thread i wonder what is going on with OP. Assuming it actually helped him its probably related methylation

Orangeyouglad

I’m thinking it was methylation related as well - I think methylation and MPB are tied together more than we currently give it credit for. I’m trying to explore more to see if there’s a possible link I can find.

GorillaHead

I’m thinking it was methylation related as well - I think methylation and MPB are tied together more than we currently give it credit for.

its probably a factor in the intensity and progression. It can probably be a factor in explaining the sensitivity and different progress of mpb. Hope it helps u.

Orangeyouglad

Same. But I got a little freaked out with overdoing the dose like that, so I’ve been holding off for a while, I think I ingested enough for a lifetime lol.

GorillaHead

Same. But I got a little freaked out with overdoing the dose like that, so I’ve been holding off for a while, I think I ingested enough for a lifetime lol.
Ya def hold off. But always becareful supplementing. Some of these supplements can kill you with an overdose

Orangeyouglad

Ya def hold off. But always becareful supplementing. Some of these supplements can kill you with an overdose

You're right. Scary stuff.

I wonder if there is something I can do to reduce the effects of the amount of folinic acid I took, just in case. I'm wondering if it's causing me to over methylate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals