Evidence That Cortisol Really Does Cause Hair Loss

johnwester130

finasteride is a synthetic progestin. It has a beneficial effect on hair because of some of it's progesterone like qualities, but it cannot act like a natural progesterone. It cannot convert downstream, for instance, although it still has a high affinity for 5 alpha reductase. Recognizing that it is not a legitimate progestin, the endocrine system will often go haywire and suppress progesterone levels, and desensitize 5ar. Studies on finasteride users with bad side effects indicate that the production of pregnenelone is supressed, and the conversion of every potentially therapeutic steroid or molecule after that remain at abnormally low levels. The issue is more complicated then low androgens. If all I had to do was increase my androgen levels and take DHT, I would have been feeling a whole lot better years ago... But the best remedy seems to be a combination of progesterone/androgens and the results aren't a 100% fix...

I just found something saying that Taurine works better than Spironolactone.

So there must be some truth to the potassium-diuretic-sodium-magnesium hair loss theory

sladerunner69

I just found something saying that Taurine works better than Spironolactone.

So there must be some truth to the potassium-diuretic-sodium-magnesium hair loss theory

Well why do you think taurine's effectiveness would necessarily be related to that theory in particular?

Taurine has been demonstrated to host a wide range of good effects on the metabolism, and can even detoxify fluoride. It can also increase androgens significantly.

johnwester130

Well why do you think taurine's effectiveness would necessarily be related to that theory in particular?

Taurine has been demonstrated to host a wide range of good effects on the metabolism, and can even detoxify fluoride. It can also increase androgens significantly.

1)it acts like a diuretic like spironolactone

2) it reverses heart damage

3) reverses fibrosis in the scalp

4) positively acts on the sodium-potassium-calcium balance in the cell

Taurine 9 - Page vi - Google Books Result
isbn:3319151266 - Google Search
Janusz Marcinkiewicz, ‎Stephen W. Schaffer - 2015 - ‎Science

"
patient that received taurine therapy showed significant improvements in the signs of heart failure (fatigue, orthopnea, and dyspnea). Prior to being treated with taurine, the patient was being treated with furosemide, digoxin, and spironolactone, but taurine therapy reduced the need for digoxin and spironolactone"

johnwester130

Cortisol causes baldness

Spironolactone regrows hair and is a heart drug

Taurine works better than Spiro and also regrows hair

So the sodium-potassium-diuretic - mineralocorticoid action causes baldness

It also explains the heart disease connection to baldness

This is interesting

johnwester130

Injections of epinephrine only cause hair whitening; no thinning or hair loss is observed. The change in color is probably the result of melanin incorporation, a large molecule made from oxidized catecholamines. Most melanin on our skin was once circulating catacholamines, and perhaps even a few indolamines.

The application of cortisol (hydrocortisone) topically produces hair loss. This is a very common observation and is even found in the pharmaceutical data sheet for hydrocortisone. I can personally attest to this, after being given hydrocortisone as a teenager.

In sheep, the removal of the entire adrenal gland causes hair loss. The removal of only the cortex, where cortisol is made, produces hair growth; the removal of the adrenal medulla alone produces hair loss. Epinephrine is produced in the adrenal medulla.

As an adrenal stress molecule, epinephrine is sometimes suspected of contributing to hair loss; however, cortisol is the only adrenal product to significantly impact the hair cycle.

Cortisol ha been shown to upregulate transcription for prostaglandin D₂ synthase, perhaps ultimately working in this manner.

Stenn, K. S. "Glucocorticoid effect on hair growth initiation: a reconsideration." Skin Pharmacology and Physiology (1993)
Shelley, W.B. "Epinephrine Induction of White Hair in Aci Rats." Journal of Investigative Dermatology (1969)
Tokudome, S. "Glucocorticoid protects rodent hearts from ischemia/reperfusion injury by activating lipocalin-type prostaglandin D synthase–derived PGD₂ biosynthesis." The Journal of clinical investigation

could taurine replace spiro ? it seems safer and has additional benefits on skin

Travis

nbznj

Taurine seems better every time I read more about it

2 easy steps IMO:
- a diet rich in calcium, potassium, vitamin D and K, low in PUFA. Low fat dairy seems the most incredibly intuitive choice (with K2 supplementation)
- lowering cortisol which is easier said than done, we all have tried different things in here... Best anti dandruff shampoo would be a bit of H&S (rich in zinc) mixed with Nizoral and I'd let it sit on the scalp for an hour or two before using mild/cold water.

Ketoconazole has some interesting anti cortisol studies.

JDreamer

This artery is the cause of baldness

I no longer believe the hormonal theory of hair loss

carotid-1391807675.jpg

Is there any relation to sinus issues? I've often wondered if mine has impeded proper blood flow.

johnwester130

Is there any relation to sinus issues? I've often wondered if mine has impeded proper blood flow.

I am not sure about the sinuses.

Taurine/glycine/lysine will dump bile in the intestine, so make sure you have sourdough bread or masa harina in your system to absorb it

JDreamer

Taurine/glycine/lysine will dump bile in the intestine, so make sure you have sourdough bread or masa harina in your system to absorb it

Interesting that you say that.

I have Gilbert's Syndrome and so my body normally produces elevated levels of bile. Since I'm supplementing Amino's - I guess I'm prolly elevating that even more. So there's that and then my elevated Cortisol.

L

lollipop

@johnwester130 you once mentioned using lysine with milk, does that take care of the bile? Or do you still need bread or tortillas?

johnwester130

@johnwester130 you once mentioned using lysine with milk, does that take care of the bile? Or do you still need bread or tortillas?

for capsules, I would take with milk

I switched to powder, so now it's in fruit juice.

I still think using masa harina or maybe even potatoes would help the stomach, maybe fruit fiber.
lysine doesn't cause much digestive problems, the taurine will.

L

lollipop

for capsules, I would take with milk

I switched to powder, so now it's in fruit juice.

I still think using masa harina or maybe even potatoes would help the stomach, maybe fruit fiber.
lysine doesn't cause much digestive problems, the taurine will.
Thank you @johnwester130, I use lysine and milk and feel it works well as a combo. I only use occasionally especially as a fast way to decrease serotonin.

johnwester130

This will sound ridiculous on this forum,
but a vegan diet will cure heart disease, but you could take eggshell calcium supplements and liver powder capsules to make certain you don't get deficient in things.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals