Elderly mother in law hallucinating: is it dementia, or adverse drug reaction to antihistamines, alendronic acid??

Hi,
this is complicated so I'm going to try to bottom line it as much as possible but give all the important details to describe this situation.

So, my husband and I live with his parents, and my elderly MIL has been showing some mild symptoms of what my FIL is convinced are early signs of dementia. My husband and I spent quite some time researching and tracking her symptoms to see what's going on (highly unlikely we can convince her to get checked plus I doubt that any UK / NHS doctor would do anything other than either dismiss her symptoms or slap on some bogus medication that would do more harm than good)

She's 74 y/o and takes the following medications :

- Levothyroxine 150mg per day, (increased from I think 125mg per day about 2 months ago which is when we started noticing the cognitive issues and fatigue)
- Alendronic Acid 70mg once a week
- Amlopidine (idk the dose)

These are the issues we've started noticing maybe 2 months or so ago.

> Day Time Hallucinations / Confusion:
They spend their afternoons watching TV until bedtime. That involves a lot of falling asleep and napping on the sofa. My MIL would wake up from her naps and then start acting weird or saying weird things like seeing things moving around on the floor or saying the pictures on the wall are talking to her. This always happened when either drifting off to sleep or waking up. One time she got up and came outside on the patio to ask us where the girls are - our nieces, they come over every Monday. It was Tuesday.

Another incident involved her thinking our cat had kittens and asking us to be careful to not let them in because they'll pee everywhere. Also happened on a Tuesday (this is important to note as I'll come back to it later)

> Night Time Hallucinations / Sleepwalking / Confusional Arousal:
Several incidents where she'd get up during the first third of the night talking to herself and doing random stuff like: mumbling to herself looking for kitchen roll, my husband and I hear it so he goes to check on her and tries to get her to go back to bed, she grabs the kitchen bin to take to the bedroom because "in case the girls (she's referring to our nieces) need to use the bathroom". He managed to get her to go back into to bed (without the bin) and gently talk her out of this state, which is when she slowly wakes up and becomes her normal self, realising that something had just happened and then getting a bit flustered about it. My husband would spend some time talking to her and help her drift back to sleep.

Another incident involved her getting up and getting disoriented in the dark not knowing which way the bathroom is and fumbling around with the front door chain (!). We have since started putting a night light out in the hall which has helped a lot with her orientation when she's half asleep and needing a wee.

Another incident involved her getting up at midnight and starting to iron a kitchen towel on top of the electric cooker, because she thought my husband asked her to do it ... she doesn't even iron usually my FIL does the ironing. It really does feel like she's acting out a dream or something.

Another incident involved her waking up whimpering in distress which sounded like she was having a nightmare. My husband went in her room to check on her and her legs got wrapped up in the duvet cover and that's what upset her, so he helped her get the duvet off and gently bring her into a fully awake state. She was quite shaken up and teary but became fully coherent very quickly, and again my husband spent some time just talking to her until she went back to sleep.

> Insomnia / Nocturia / OCD:
As mentioned above, she would have random episodes of hallucinations, but we also noticed she would be up and down going to the bathroom like every 20-30 minutes, not because she actually needs to go, but almost like an obsessive compulsive urge, so her sleep is obviously severely disrupted. This usually quiets down after the first third of the night. She just can't seem to get settled and fall asleep so she keeps getting up going to the bathroom like a habit that she feels will help her go to sleep. We tried CBD with some success but noticed sometimes it has the opposite effect so we stopped, and now we're looking into other ways to help her get better sleep such as Melatonin.

Other symptoms include:
> Drawn looking, droopy facial expression
> Withdrawal and discontinuation of activities formerly enjoyed such as going for walks in nature, watering the garden etc which she claims is due to the hay fever, but they still go out to the shops regularly so it's not complete avoidance of going out
> Falling asleep in front of TV completely folded over, developing a really bad hunched over posture whilst standing and walking, it's developed rather quickly and just looks horrible like she can't even look up at me properly while talking to me....
> Persistent cough and laboured breathing / grunting despite little physical activity (claims it's because of hay fever / chronic lung issue she's had since catching a bad cold once as baby)

Now soon as we noticed the symptoms we started administering MB daily, and we were aware of her recent change in thyroid medication, but also realised that she was taking hay fever medication that may have been causing or exacerbating those issues.

She was taking Benadryl at first but switched to Clarityn because Benadryl made her too drowsy and Clarityn (Loratadine) is meant to be non-drowsy. We made her stop taking it because we found out that it can cause neurotoxicity in elderly women and lead to psychosis / hallucinations because of the anticolinergic effects which is detrimental for elderly people developing dementia like symptoms. We gave her Quercetin instead which worked great however it started to cause her vision to blur so we switched her to Polisan, a homeopathic herbal remedy, which is working well.

Quitting the antihistamines and administering the MB has really brought about a lot of improvement, to where she's almost back to her old self most of the time - except for the bad hunched posture, terrible sleep patterns and the very bizarre once a week night time incidents, which are giving us great cause for concern.

Now these once a week night time hallucination incidents tend to happen on a Tuesday/Wednesday, and then go away again, except one time it was on a Saturday (!)

I then noticed that she usually takes her alendronic acid 70mg every Monday or Tuesday, and that's when those incidents happen, a day/night later, every Tuesday or Wednesday, except the one time it happened on a Saturday night, she had taken the alendronic acid on the Friday... (!!!)

Soooo I researched "alendronic acid hallucinations" and came across the following:

Medications That May Cause Hallucinations as a Side Effect.
"OSTEOPOROSIS MEDICATIONS
In rare cases, medications like alendronate (Fosamax), etidronate (Didronel), and pamidronate (Aredia) have been reported to cause visual, auditory, and olfactory hallucinations."

Alendronate-induced auditory hallucinations and visual disturbances - PubMed

It seems like what's happening to my MIL is a result of various adverse drug reactions / interactions paired with a change in thyroid medication and it all just triggered a cascade of issues that impact her cognitive function and cause her to develop a sleep disorder, "confusional arousal" maybe. The antihistamine's anticolirgenic effects may have caused some damage to her brain which the MB is remedying but it probably takes time to recover fully, if that.

The alendronic acid which she's been on for ages now seems to exacerbate the issues but I have no idea what the mechanism behind that would be.

And finally, I think her extremely poor sleep hygiene and overall lifestyle habits (lack of movement, fresh air, sunlight, overloading on blue light) are leading to her being so sleep deprived that it's all just really messing her up cognitively. Add to that a hypothyroid mess and a pinch of depression.

With all that said, I can't help but doubt that this is dementia because it doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. I could be wrong as I have zero experience with dementia in other relatives or friends.
So, if anyone here has any ideas, I'm grasping at anything else we can do to help her, within the realm of what she's willing to do, she won't change her lifestyle but she might try some drops or pills we give her as we do with the MB, or collagen, minerals or vitamins in her coffee etc, me taking over dinner more often so I can prevent some crappy ingredients and add some good ones, stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mostlylurking

- Levothyroxine 150mg per day, (increased from I think 125mg per day about 2 months ago which is when we started noticing the cognitive issues and fatigue)
As people age their digestive tract loses its ability to absorb nutrients, in particular thiamine (vitamin B1). Thiamine deficiency is implicated in dementia. A thiamine supplement would be helpful. There are a few options; TTFD is a capsule if she can swallow capsules. It doesn't have the absorption issue that thiamine hcl has. A much higher dose of thiamine hcl is needed to make up for the poor absorption rate.

This book may be very helpful: The Book Although it focuses on Parkinson's Disease, the information would be applicable for other forms of dementia too. The author found great improvement by using a sublingual type of thiamine. The sublingual is absorbed under the tongue so gets into the bloodstream very efficiently.

The Levothyroxine contains only T4, there's no T3 in it. T3 is the active thyroid hormone. T4 with no T3 can actually make symptoms worse, according to Ray Peat and also based on my own personal experience. A prescription desiccated thyroid like NP Thyroid by Acella that includes T3 would probably work much better.

suggested reading:

I am unfamiliar with the other two medications. I think that it is always important to research online before swallowing anything. Search for the name of the med (in quotation marks) and Contraindications to learn the downside of a med.

HeyThere

Barely reading your post, I think it's clear it's the cabal's drugs she's on. Real hallucinations don't happen on certain days of the week.

HeyThere

I am unfamiliar with the other two medications. I think that it is always important to research online before swallowing anything. Search for the name of the med (in quotation marks) and Contraindications to learn the downside of a med.

Now that there are symptoms involved, research = "_drug name_ hallucinations", etc.

LucH

Hi,
Alzheimer's symptoms include disorientation, persecution, incoherent talk and much more. We check the advanced stage of dementia by trying to draw a clock with the twelve digits on a dial.

mostlylurking

The alendronic acid which she's been on for ages now seems to exacerbate the issues but I have no idea what the mechanism behind that would be.
"Alendronate belongs to a group of medicines known as bisphosphonates."

This article may be helpful:

View: https://youtu.be/ZEnVVOlSmiY?t=2791

HeyThere

FFS! Honest to God, this forum is infuriating sometimes.

Your FIRST sentence of symptoms said this: "- Levothyroxine 150mg per day, (increased from I think 125mg per day about 2 months ago which is when we started noticing the cognitive issues and fatigue)"

I learned Levothyroxine is for hypothyroidism by simply googling what it does.

SO I DID THE WORK FOR YOU. The SECOND result gave me this info:

"This article presents a case of clinical hypothyroidism that came to clinical attention due to psychotic symptoms consisting of auditory and visual hallucinations."

"Hypothyroidism Presenting as Psychosis: Myxedema Madness Revisited"

You gave her this med and think it's coincidence she started having very weird symptoms?? I mean, let me guess, were you guys also the first in line to get the clot stab??

bookshelf

Hi,
this is complicated so I'm going to try to bottom line it as much as possible but give all the important details to describe this situation.

So, my husband and I live with his parents, and my elderly MIL has been showing some mild symptoms of what my FIL is convinced are early signs of dementia. My husband and I spent quite some time researching and tracking her symptoms to see what's going on (highly unlikely we can convince her to get checked plus I doubt that any UK / NHS doctor would do anything other than either dismiss her symptoms or slap on some bogus medication that would do more harm than good)

These are the issues we've started noticing maybe 2 months or so ago.

> Day Time Hallucinations / Confusion:
They spend their afternoons watching TV until bedtime. That involves a lot of falling asleep and napping on the sofa. My MIL would wake up from her naps and then start acting weird or saying weird things like seeing things moving around on the floor or saying the pictures on the wall are talking to her. This always happened when either drifting off to sleep or waking up. One time she got up and came outside on the patio to ask us where the girls are - our nieces, they come over every Monday. It was Tuesday.

Another incident involved her thinking our cat had kittens and asking us to be careful to not let them in because they'll pee everywhere. Also happened on a Tuesday (this is important to note as I'll come back to it later)

> Night Time Hallucinations / Sleepwalking / Confusional Arousal:
Several incidents where she'd get up during the first third of the night talking to herself and doing random stuff like: mumbling to herself looking for kitchen roll, my husband and I hear it so he goes to check on her and tries to get her to go back to bed, she grabs the kitchen bin to take to the bedroom because "in case the girls (she's referring to our nieces) need to use the bathroom". He managed to get her to go back into to bed (without the bin) and gently talk her out of this state, which is when she slowly wakes up and becomes her normal self, realising that something had just happened and then getting a bit flustered about it. My husband would spend some time talking to her and help her drift back to sleep.

Another incident involved her getting up and getting disoriented in the dark not knowing which way the bathroom is and fumbling around with the front door chain (!). We have since started putting a night light out in the hall which has helped a lot with her orientation when she's half asleep and needing a wee.

Another incident involved her getting up at midnight and starting to iron a kitchen towel on top of the electric cooker, because she thought my husband asked her to do it ... she doesn't even iron usually my FIL does the ironing. It really does feel like she's acting out a dream or something.

Another incident involved her waking up whimpering in distress which sounded like she was having a nightmare. My husband went in her room to check on her and her legs got wrapped up in the duvet cover and that's what upset her, so he helped her get the duvet off and gently bring her into a fully awake state. She was quite shaken up and teary but became fully coherent very quickly, and again my husband spent some time just talking to her until she went back to sleep.

> Insomnia / Nocturia / OCD:
As mentioned above, she would have random episodes of hallucinations, but we also noticed she would be up and down going to the bathroom like every 20-30 minutes, not because she actually needs to go, but almost like an obsessive compulsive urge, so her sleep is obviously severely disrupted. This usually quiets down after the first third of the night. She just can't seem to get settled and fall asleep so she keeps getting up going to the bathroom like a habit that she feels will help her go to sleep. We tried CBD with some success but noticed sometimes it has the opposite effect so we stopped, and now we're looking into other ways to help her get better sleep such as Melatonin.

Other symptoms include:
> Drawn looking, droopy facial expression
> Withdrawal and discontinuation of activities formerly enjoyed such as going for walks in nature, watering the garden etc which she claims is due to the hay fever, but they still go out to the shops regularly so it's not complete avoidance of going out
> Falling asleep in front of TV completely folded over, developing a really bad hunched over posture whilst standing and walking, it's developed rather quickly and just looks horrible like she can't even look up at me properly while talking to me....
> Persistent cough and laboured breathing / grunting despite little physical activity (claims it's because of hay fever / chronic lung issue she's had since catching a bad cold once as baby)

Now soon as we noticed the symptoms we started administering MB daily, and we were aware of her recent change in thyroid medication, but also realised that she was taking hay fever medication that may have been causing or exacerbating those issues.

She was taking Benadryl at first but switched to Clarityn because Benadryl made her too drowsy and Clarityn (Loratadine) is meant to be non-drowsy. We made her stop taking it because we found out that it can cause neurotoxicity in elderly women and lead to psychosis / hallucinations because of the anticolinergic effects which is detrimental for elderly people developing dementia like symptoms. We gave her Quercetin instead which worked great however it started to cause her vision to blur so we switched her to Polisan, a homeopathic herbal remedy, which is working well.

Quitting the antihistamines and administering the MB has really brought about a lot of improvement, to where she's almost back to her old self most of the time - except for the bad hunched posture, terrible sleep patterns and the very bizarre once a week night time incidents, which are giving us great cause for concern.

Now these once a week night time hallucination incidents tend to happen on a Tuesday/Wednesday, and then go away again, except one time it was on a Saturday (!)

I then noticed that she usually takes her alendronic acid 70mg every Monday or Tuesday, and that's when those incidents happen, a day/night later, every Tuesday or Wednesday, except the one time it happened on a Saturday night, she had taken the alendronic acid on the Friday... (!!!)

Soooo I researched "alendronic acid hallucinations" and came across the following:

Medications That May Cause Hallucinations as a Side Effect.
"OSTEOPOROSIS MEDICATIONS
In rare cases, medications like alendronate (Fosamax), etidronate (Didronel), and pamidronate (Aredia) have been reported to cause visual, auditory, and olfactory hallucinations."

Alendronate-induced auditory hallucinations and visual disturbances - PubMed

It seems like what's happening to my MIL is a result of various adverse drug reactions / interactions paired with a change in thyroid medication and it all just triggered a cascade of issues that impact her cognitive function and cause her to develop a sleep disorder, "confusional arousal" maybe. The antihistamine's anticolirgenic effects may have caused some damage to her brain which the MB is remedying but it probably takes time to recover fully, if that.

And finally, I think her extremely poor sleep hygiene and overall lifestyle habits (lack of movement, fresh air, sunlight, overloading on blue light) are leading to her being so sleep deprived that it's all just really messing her up cognitively. Add to that a hypothyroid mess and a pinch of depression.

With all that said, I can't help but doubt that this is dementia because it doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. I could be wrong as I have zero experience with dementia in other relatives or friends.
So, if anyone here has any ideas, I'm grasping at anything else we can do to help her, within the realm of what she's willing to do, she won't change her lifestyle but she might try some drops or pills we give her as we do with the MB, or collagen, minerals or vitamins in her coffee etc, me taking over dinner more often so I can prevent some crappy ingredients and add some good ones, stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!
In addition to all of the other avenues that you check, make sure to rule out a urinary tract infection. Many of the symptoms you are describing are signs and elderly people do not present with UTIs in the traditional way. I could tell you stories but, suffice it to say, UTIs (along with bladder and/or kidney infections) in the elderly can cause some pretty bizarre symptoms that include hallucinations, dementia-like characteristics, problems sleeping or with drowsiness/fatigue, taxed breathing, behavioral issues, etc. Never rely simply on temperature, urine output, etc. Always test and do so regularly. Total game changer if that turns out to be the culprit or contributor.

OP
M
Your FIRST sentence of symptoms said this: "- Levothyroxine 150mg per day, (increased from I think 125mg per day about 2 months ago which is when we started noticing the cognitive issues and fatigue)"

"This article presents a case of clinical hypothyroidism that came to clinical attention due to psychotic symptoms consisting of auditory and visual hallucinations."

You gave her this med and think it's coincidence she started having very weird symptoms?? I mean, let me guess, were you guys also the first in line to get the clot stab??
You think we are the ones giving her those meds yea? Lol. No, she'd been on these meds for ages, neither me nor husband really have any involvement with her "official" treatments.

Husband and I didn't get jabbed because we believe the pandemic was a huge hoax, his parents however did because they don't listen to us, and are very much set in their ways. It's her gp who gives the meds, we are only taking note and doing what we can to help within the realm of what she is willing to do, and my husband will try to convince her to stop taking the alendronic acid.

CLEARLY, her hypothyroidism / levo is the baseline of her issues but it's not just that because as I said the hallucinations were affected by the OTHER meds she took / takes and we are covertly trying to counter as much as we can. We have our hands tied here. In mean did you read my entire post?

Again please don’t make assumptions where you don't have the data, such as guessing that we are the ones administering the Levo, or that we were the "first to line up for the jab".

Your reply is quite arrogant thinking you've done any "work" while insulting us and thinking that googling something then impulsively typing a half arsed rude response is worthy of praise.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

You think we are the ones giving her those meds yea? No need to have a go at us. No, she'd been on these meds for ages, neither me nor husband really have any involvement with her "official" treatments. Husband and I didn't get jabbed because we believe the pandemic was a huge hoax, his parents however did because they don't listen to us, and are very much set in their ways. What the **** do you want me to do here? Pin her down and scream in her face to not continue down this path? It's her gp who gives the meds, we are only taking note and doing what we can to help within the realm of what she is willing to do. FFS.
I'm sleep deprived and stressed out like **** as it is so please don't grieve me additional grief.

CLEARLY, her hypothyroidism / levo is the baseline of her issues but it's not just that because as I said the hallucinations were affected by the OTHER meds she took / takes and we are covertly trying to counter as much as we can. We have our hands tied here. In mean did you read my entire post?

Again please don’t make assumptions where you don't have the data, such as guessing that we are the ones administering the levo, or that we were the "first to line up for the jab".
But she is living with you now? I understand your frustration; my father died of Alzheimer's, after 5 years of mental and physical deterioration and I was the only family member who stepped up to the plate to help him. It is horrific to watch. Do you have Power of Attorney over medical issues? Are there Patient Advocates where you are? Is your mother-in-law receptive to your suggestions? Can you act as her Patient Advocate and go with her to her medical appointments?

mostlylurking

Tell me, how old are you? You write like you're about 14 with the maturity of a 12 year old.

OP
M
But she is living with you now? I understand your frustration; my father died of Alzheimer's, after 5 years of mental and physical deterioration and I was the only family member who stepped up to the plate to help him. It is horrific to watch. Do you have Power of Attorney over medical issues? Are there Patient Advocates where you are? Is your mother-in-law receptive to your suggestions? Can you act as her Patient Advocate and go with her to her medical appointments?
So sorry to hear about your dad, he was lucky to have you! We're living with them, its their house and they've always been super independent doing their thing, they did my need any help other than the occasional bill that needed to be paid online or me making them dinner once in a while so she could have a break from cooking, but we just pay rent and work from home, so it's not at all a carer type situation. This whole dilemma has only started about 2-3 months ago. We don't have power of attorney and it's not gonna happen I'm afraid, it's complicated with the family politics / dynamics the way they are right now sadly. They dont take us very seriously. There's absolutely no way can go past what we are doing now, it'll only result in complete shut down if we try anything beyond that, not gonna happen. At least right now we are able to give her the MB hidden in some dark berry juice with sugar to mask it as much as we can, and a couple things like collagen and bone broth in the coffee we make her ever afternoon. It's a very very weird and difficult situation where, as I said, our hands are extremely tied. I'm only indirectly involved here because it all get communicated / administered through my husband, if it was coming from me directly she would not be as open to the couple things we are able to do for her, we get along but we just don't have that kind of relationship, her and I.

mostlylurking

So sorry to hear about your dad, he was lucky to have you! We're living with them, its their house and they've always been super independent doing their thing, they did my need any help other than the occasional bill that needed to be paid online or me making them dinner once in a while so she could have a break from cooking, but we just pay rent and work from home, so it's not at all a carer type situation. This whole dilemma has only started about 2-3 months ago. We don't have power of attorney and it's not gonna happen I'm afraid, it's complicated with the family politics / dynamics the way they are right now sadly. They dont take us very seriously. There's absolutely no way can go past what we are doing now, it'll only result in complete shut down if we try anything beyond that, not gonna happen. At least right now we are able to give her the MB hidden in some dark berry juice with sugar to mask it as much as we can, and a couple things like collagen and bone broth in the coffee we make her ever afternoon. It's a very very weird and difficult situation where, as I said, our hands are extremely tied. I'm only indirectly involved here because it all get communicated / administered through my husband, if it was coming from me directly she would not be as open to the couple things we are able to do for her, we get along but we just don't have that kind of relationship, her and I.
From my own experience I can say that this will get much worse. Living with them sort of makes you the bag man, sorry. Keeping a diary and writing down decline events and dates may be helpful. If I was in your shoes, I'd be making some phone calls to educate myself on what social safety net is available. Here in the U.S., at least in Texas, if someone makes a report to Adult Protective Services (even anonymous tips), by law the authorities have to investigate the situation which could result in outside supportive help. Because I don't live where you do, I do not know the repercussions that could happen. But I do believe that I could never have survived the 5 years of my father's illness without support from the nursing staff and, for the last 18 months, Hospice.

@bookshelf has given good advice about the possibility of a UTI. An infection will increase confusion and possible hallucinations. It can be tricky to figure it out without a urinalysis because many times there is no pain. If the infection backs up into the kidneys it gets very serious very fast.

tasfarelel

They dont take us very seriously.
You will not like this - but my advice in the case your family doesn't respect your opinion: Do NOT help. You are just playing with your own happiness.

Let nature take it's course. The phenotype you describe is anyway rather severe and likely not changeable with a minimalistic intervention strategy (if at all).

OP
M
It's frustration. Take my observation or leave it, it's not my mom.
"Observation" implies reading and communication skills. You didn't read my post properly and you made assumptions about us without any evidence. That's not an observation, that's poor judgment.

OP
M
So thanks to some of you who gave some helpful advice. But I'm still hoping that someone here has some knowledge on the alendronic acid itself being a contributor of developing or exacerbating psychosis / hallucinations. If it's actually dementia, yea I don’t think there's much we can do, eventually the GP will get hold of the whole situation sooner or later and by then it'll be too late / they won't be able to help her much (NHS being useless as always). I was just hoping that my own observation that her symptoms get worse every time she takes alendronic acid might hold some water and give us a glimmer of hope that its linked to that and not actually Alzheimer's. This whole situation is just horrible and I'm close to tears, not to mention my husband seeing his mum like that.

mostlylurking

Last edited:
OP
M
Suggested viewing: Videos Parkinson's Patients before and after treatment - Ultima Edizione.Eu
These are all of Dr. Costantini's patients, before and after treatment with high dose thiamine hcl. Each is very short, and in Italian, but that really doesn't matter. You'll get the point.

I know there's things that can be *done*, but I doubt there's much that we will be able to *do* in that I doubt they'll believe us if we brought it up, even if we showed them stuff etc if it's not on the BBC it's not true. Worth a shot though, we will try to somehow add it to her daily afternoon coffee concoction, if that's even possible.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals