Best Places In The World To Eat

Warrior_

Switzerland probably

I'd also say Thailand but the milk will suck

Thailand is good for the fruits and fruit shakes etc. :):

You can get organic milk there now.

But in general Thailand isn´t that good. Most of the meals are fried in lots and lots of vegetable oil. There are some places where they use coconut oil for cooking, but they are rare.

For meat it is also mostly chicken (high in pufa).

So fruits would be good, and white rice. Other products are hard to get, and / or are more expensive (organic dairy for example, lamb/Beef etc.)

The_xXx

obviously Mediterranean regions arround Mediterranean sea. Im shocked that nobody mention that they have best climate best food = best genetics . North africa and arabic countries have most amount of ultra fast metabolizier.

OP
W

Waynish

Best Pastry - France
Best Breakfast - Dublin, Ireland
Best Beef - Córdoba, Spain
Best Restaurant Meal - New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Best Coffee - The Southern tip of the Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Best Cocktail - The Bar at the Corner of Commerce St., and Grove St. in Greenwich Village New York, USA
Best Homecooked Meal - Easter Sunday Dinner at the home of an Italian American family on Long Island, New York, USA
Best Dessert - Back to New Orleans for Beignets.
Best Nightcap - The 50 plus year old Port at The Bridge Cafe on the Southern tip of Manhattan.

Nice! The coffee surprised me... I did think the coffee in Hawaii was good, but didn't drink it much - Melbourne was the best I've had, but I wasn't drinking coffee when living in Italy! Agreed that there's lots of great food in NYC!

OP
W

Waynish

obviously Mediterranean regions arround Mediterranean sea. Im shocked that nobody mention that they have best climate best food = best genetics . North africa and arabic countries have most amount of ultra fast metabolizier.

Curious to see what else you have to back this up... "Best genetics" sounds deluded. Best genetics or beauty, metabolism, etc - don't really exist. More about the environment and the organism's history of exposure to it.

SQu

Good local ripe fruit year round, tropical and deciduous, in South Africa. Oranges are cheap and properly ripe 7 months a year including winter, which is now. I juice them, no acidity. Good quality milk, no added vitamins. Iron and soya in cereal and bread, but avoidable if you make your own as flour is not fortified. Oat and sorghum porridge not fortified. Also easy to buy bread without iron or soya if you buy non standard loaves and read labels. Your basic foods are I think high quality, fresh, local and cheap. Easy in the cities to buy mainstream non-organic supermarket eggs laid a day or two ago if you check sell by dates. The chicken feed won't be great, maize mostly but not soya or at least not when I was keeping hens. Also easy to find organic suppliers and farmers markets in the main cities. Also to buy a whole lamb from a farmer (Karroo lamb is famous) or wild venison from hunters in winter. Struggle to find really fresh liver. The liver is ok but it could be nicer. Fresh oysters I get though I'm inland. Fish not great inland though. It's ok. I seldom buy. Very good quality local olive oil. Cheap coconut oil. Good ice cream can be found but need to read labels, most you wouldn't buy. Good coffee everywhere though we don't grow it. Cane sugar sweetened drinks. Restaurants all use pufas. Standard oil is sunflower and increasingly, canola. Inland good altitude, sunny all year round, short winters mostly cold at night. Best season for vitamin D is winter as the sun is gentle, people bask. I read a study, you can get enough D year round where I live. Downside, fluoridated, chlorinated water, iron, soya in cereals and bread, postal service for international ordering, and most of all, politics.

OP
W

Waynish

I haven't been able to find any studies, however, tracking many nutrition indicators... For example, the nutrition of strawberries in France vs California.

M

marikay

Nice! The coffee surprised me... I did think the coffee in Hawaii was good, but didn't drink it much - Melbourne was the best I've had, but I wasn't drinking coffee when living in Italy! Agreed that there's lots of great food in NYC!

Thanks for the note. The Kona region of the Big Island (the Western part) is famous for its coffee in the U.S. But I found the Kau region to have by far the best coffee. The coffee growers there have been discovered by the Japanese and so are selling most of their crops to Japan. But if you get to the Big Island, go South and you'll be amazed how delicious the coffee served in the local restaurants is.

And one more item I should add to my list above:

Best Pizza - Arturo's at the Northeast corner of Houston and Thompson in in Greenwich Village. Sit at the bar. Order a pie. Drink the Chianti. Amazing things will happen to you.

yerrag

Thanks for the note. The Kona region of the Big Island (the Western part) is famous for its coffee in the U.S. But I found the Kau region to have by far the best coffee. The coffee growers there have been discovered by the Japanese and so are selling most of their crops to Japan. But if you get to the Big Island, go South and you'll be amazed how delicious the coffee served in the local restaurants is.

And one more item I should add to my list above:

Best Pizza - Arturo's at the Northeast corner of Houston and Thompson in in Greenwich Village. Sit at the bar. Order a pie. Drink the Chianti. Amazing things will happen to you.
Speaking of "Houston," has anyone end up being embarrassed by correcting its pronunciation by a native New Yorker? I learned the first time I was in the city, on a tour, and the tour guide wasn't saying it like how the capital city ofTexas is called. I wanted to jump in to correct her, but somebody else beat me to it.

Needless to say, I was thankful to him for sparing me an embarrassing situation. I probably would have insisted I was right too, as the tour guide had a Puerto Rican accent and I was thinking I'd be doing her a favor.

baggywrinkle

im from nz so can only speak for here since starting to peat
lamb is perfect and so is the beef, but use a butcher
dairy here is grass feed so it is very good and being a cheese maker, i get the extras like curds
seafood is excellent, both wild oysters and farmed, plus cheap green lipped muscles
kina or sea urchin provides progesterone
lots of fruit and tropical also
pork only if wild is tasty
chicken needs to be organic free range
vegies are excellent
orange is also excellent and local
various coconut oil
masa hirina imported
great honey

OP
W

Waynish

I'll try to think about a way Peatarians can list restaurants on a global map or something... Would be fun to build a catalogue and eventually have restaurants use it as a badge of honor :)

clara

Seasoned western world traveler replies: I have settled for now, after many years all over US, Europe and North Africa, in the south of France. Although at near sea level, the climate is mild and very sunny. Food is high quality, cheap and varied according to season. I stopped dairy while in US, but started again as soon as I got here as the quality and variety is still great, with goat, sheep and A2 Milk products common, and those traditional cheeses! Organic choices are a parallel standard. Citrus grows nearby and south in abundance. Stress is low. The political situation is stable enough in this volatile world and was almost OK through 2 world wars. On a fixed income with state health care, clean air, food, nature, the friendly helpful community of preserved ancient mid-sized town ensures a good life. My relatives and neighbors, not fancy people, live 90-104 happy yrs. To the South: Italy, Spain, Portugal are other good options, but have hot summers, seismic/volcanic risks, and now refugee issues around the coasts. Hope this helps.

Bodhi

Been in Thailand many times and i agree when i comes down to PUFAS, but i depends on you ..
Most tourists in Thailand do not cook themselves i guess if youare into Peating you have to cook yourself...
Most restaurants in Holland also use the cheap oils, our famous fries are mostly fried in Sunflour oils... and my local Indian admits not using ghee but margarine in his dishes to cut costs....

Thailand has an abundance of great fruits you will never get bored, loads and loads of seafood you can buy on markets, many lower fatty fishes sea and sweet water can be grilled , shrimp, squid, i even had babyoysters once fresh from the sea... So if you eat fruit all day, and combine it with grilled fish and rice you are great not to mention the blessings of coconutwater ....

When u rent place and cook yourself with coconut oil, BTW many places do not mind if you bring your own Coconut oil so they can fry their stuff in it.... Big Downside is that all the noodlesoup places have pigs broths, so its very hard to get your gelatin in Thailand maybe Vietnams Pho is much better for that.....

Bodhi

Seasoned western world traveler replies: I have settled for now, after many years all over US, Europe and North Africa, in the south of France. Although at near sea level, the climate is mild and very sunny. Food is high quality, cheap and varied according to season. I stopped dairy while in US, but started again as soon as I got here as the quality and variety is still great, with goat, sheep and A2 Milk products common, and those traditional cheeses! Organic choices are a parallel standard. Citrus grows nearby and south in abundance. Stress is low. The political situation is stable enough in this volatile world and was almost OK through 2 world wars. On a fixed income with state health care, clean air, food, nature, the friendly helpful community of preserved ancient mid-sized town ensures a good life. My relatives and neighbors, not fancy people, live 90-104 happy yrs. To the South: Italy, Spain, Portugal are other good options, but have hot summers, seismic/volcanic risks, and now refugee issues around the coasts. Hope this helps.

Sounds like a Paradise where do you live exactly?

jitsmonkey

I realize this is a "travel" question but depending on length of stay
(I typically travel for months at a time)
I would prioritize Sun exposure year round over food quality.
Meaning months and months of darkness or relative darkness cannot be overcome by nutrition.
So on a scale of 1-10... 10 being ideal food. 10 being ideal sun.
I'd pick a 10 sun w a 7 food vs 7 sun w a 10 food.
A more equatorial climate with just adequate food supply would be far superior imho.
This becomes even more important if the question is regarding "permanent" location.

Stud

Thailand is good for the fruits and fruit shakes etc. :):

You can get organic milk there now.

But in general Thailand isn´t that good. Most of the meals are fried in lots and lots of vegetable oil. There are some places where they use coconut oil for cooking, but they are rare.

For meat it is also mostly chicken (high in pufa).

So fruits would be good, and white rice. Other products are hard to get, and / or are more expensive (organic dairy for example, lamb/Beef etc.)
Thailand sucks, would avoid whole asia. Vegetable oil everywere. I would rather go to mcdonalds then thats at least tasty. on a side note I got the sickest ive ever been in thailand (could be vaccines too thought).

LUH 3417

NYC probably has the best food options but one of the worst qualities of life. There are paleo places that cook with coconut oil such as Hu Kitchen. Bone broth shops are popping up, tons of farmers markets, easy to get raw milk delivered to your home or a site nearby through various buying clubs, lots of speciality cheese shops with the finest imported cheeses from around the globe, lots of local food from the hudson valley. but besides that, the actually day to day lifestyle is very difficult and stressful and its hard to be healthy here even if you eat a perfect diet.

jyb

Those regions don't strike me as the healthiest. Actually, I've been to a few (not all) and quite a few seem really unhealthy.

shepherdgirl

The life of a shepherd:
high altitude
pure, rarefied air (retain more CO2)
pure mountain water (low in deuterium)
sunshine
low stress self employment
grass fed dairy
ruminants
gelatin broth
non breathless exercise
field greens, forest fruit, mushrooms