Installed Advanced Security System Due To Hack Attempts

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Recently on another forum it was publicly called for someone to hack the Ray Peat Forum. This illegal call to action still stands on that forum. The hack attempts on the Ray Peat Forum have increased dramatically in the last couple months. The security already deployed has stopped these attempts and no breaches have been found. However, in light of these recent events I have decided to initiate more advanced securing methods. Most I will not get into, but some of them I will address in this thread because they will be directly seen by you.

This community and all the hard work from everyone here is priceless. I will do anything and everything I can do protect what we have here. This will be an ongoing process and I will continually be looking for ways to better secure the forum.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If you have received an email that says something like this:

"DragonByte Security has detected a security alert regarding New Device Fingerprints"

All this is telling you is that a new device(computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc) or a new browser has signed on via your account. It works just like banks work. If you go to another computer and sign onto your account here at Ray Peat Forum then our system is going to alert you.

There is also an option to lock the account when a new device is detected and then the system would send you an email with a link to unlock the account. I am not sure I am going to use that option, although it would be optimal. Share your thoughts on this if you like.

Last edited:

Makrosky

Thanks charlie! Whatever you do... Please keep a good backup. That is the only way to really protect the invaluable info on this board.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
hanks charlie! Whatever you do... Please keep a good backup. That is the only way to really protect the invaluable info on this board.
No worries. Backups are covered. :)

Agent207

The risk will be there while the forum being public. I would make it private, hidden it from search engines and let for future people know it by recommendation or invites from close buddies.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I'm receiving so many security alerts that I'm more suspicious than a call center in India with this IP..
How many? You should only get one per device you sign on.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
About a new device?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The risk will be there while the forum being public. I would make it private, hidden it from search engines and let for future people know it by recommendation or invites from close buddies.

If you have more risk... it's good because more people are finding the forum. I wouldn't make it private... you want people to find it. People probably want to hack it because it has such a big user base now. As long as the forum and server are updated with the latest security patches, we should be good... most hacks come from when people don't patch there systems and leave something vulnerable.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've had two alerts today on the same device and it's the only device I've used recently.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I've had two alerts today on the same device and it's the only device I've used recently.
Well, I did turn the system off, then back on. That is why that might have happened. If it continues let me know and we will either get it fixed or disable that part of the program.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I forgot to mention that using a different browser would also send an alert. That would count as a different device.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Well, I did turn the system off, then back on. That is why that might have happened. If it continues let me know and we will either get it fixed or disable that part of the program.
That was probably it. Thanks

moss

Charlie, fwiw I just received a couple of security alerts (I am currently interstate at the moment) unless I get a bunch more I will ignore.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Charlie, fwiw I just received a couple of security alerts (I am currently interstate at the moment) unless I get a bunch more I will ignore.
Keep me updated.

No worries, if this notification becomes to intrusive I can simply disable that part of the program. I enabled it for those who are interested in monitoring their sign ins. It is not needed for the security of the site and is more of an extra step to help you watch your account.

If you are interested in keeping you account more secure I suggest using a complex password you only use for this website, and also enable 2 step verification.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals