Careers for people that like math?

andrei

Hi guys! Hope you're all well.

I'm a high school math teacher, looking to change careers. I've been teaching for almost a decade and I don't have the same desire to do it anymore.

It's been good for health, but I'm at a point in life where I'm willing to make some sacrifices to advance professionally.

I know that corporate life is not conducive to optimal health, but I'd like to consider the best course of action for a former math teacher. I could either look for jobs that rely on quantitative work, or leverage my existing experience of working with students and become a corporate trainer?

If anybody has advice, please share. If you have gone through a career change, please describe your experience. Would highly appreciate! thanks.

Momma

We have the opposite in our family:
A financial advisor guy who went to go teach MS math. So finance and accounting? Actuary?

ThinPicking

I'm not particularly well placed to respond to this but I will anyway. You hit the front page while I was there.

If it's quants you'll probably be in to some kind of computational modelling one way or another. Things are getting very big and very fast. Perhaps you could play around with some of the OpenCL functions in LibreOffice or equivalents in MATLAB and see if it makes your brain sing.

Maybe @Alomongerpete has an advisory for you if he's still around.

maillol

I can recommend my field which is quantity surveying. It's essentially being an accountant for construction projects. Every project is different, days are mixed being in the office and being on site. Work culture is good and there's a career ladder to climb if you want to.

Alomongerpete

I'm in banking and work as a credit risk underwriter. The pay is pretty good and it suits logical, analytical people.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals