Low Toxin Lifestyle Shower Head Filters

proteome

Forum Supporter
Here are the options I'm considering:

https://www.amazon.com/Weddell-Duo-Shower-Filter-Microplastics/dp/B0CGLZLMNP?tag=rapef020-20 (Has NSF Certification)

https://www.amazon.com/AquaYouth-Shower-Filter-Removes-Chlorine/dp/B087HBJDV8?tag=rapef020-20 (Has NSF Certification, clear plastic)

https://www.amazon.com/Aquasana-AQ-4100-Deluxe-Adjustable-Showerhead/dp/B0016BS9T6/?tag=rapef020-20 (Doesn't lower shower head... a concern for talls)

I notice that none of these seem to have much data or claims about fluoride, although I imagine that if they remove Chlorine and Chlorides, they at least reduce Fluoride.

I found two past posts specifically on this subject, but I'd love an update on the topic:

Shower Head Filter (Vitamin C Filters or Copper/Zinc Filters)

Best Type Of Shower Head Filter (Old, dismisses the question)

As for lotions, I use Vitamin E sourced from Organic Wheat Germ, a trial of occasional Progest-E, shaving creams, and hyaluronic acid.

For cleaning I use food-grade vinegar and baking soda.

My showers are usually cold or lukewarm.

OP
P

proteome

Forum Supporter
The Aquasana one I linked mentions KDF specifically.

I think that’s the copper and zinc combo, right?

KDF stands for kinetic degradation fluxion. More of a process than a substance, it was developed in 1984 by water treatment engineer Don Heskett. KDF media consists of high-purity copper-zinc granules.

Carrying opposite electrical charges, these two materials combined eliminate the widest possible range of harmful contaminants through an electrochemical process known as oxidation-reduction, or redox.”

Sphagnum

It’s been a while since I’ve looked into similar products for the same reasons, so I may be a bit rusty.

From what I recall, you aren’t going to be able to get any fluoride and very little chlorine out using a shower head. Long story short, you need more time and/or bigger filters than what can be fitted to your shower. Maybe the “technology” has advanced, but I’d need some legitimate testing and accredited results before taking a vendor’s word for it.

What I previously saw as a more effective option are separate filters (one for fluoride and one for chlorine) that attach to the incoming water line to the residence. It’s more work (you may even need a plumber to install them,) but it will do much more than a little filter on a shower head that only has a split second to filter the water before it is sprayed out.

mosaic01

Most shower filters are a scam, especially on amazon.

I notice that none of these seem to have much data or claims about fluoride, although I imagine that if they remove Chlorine and Chlorides, they at least reduce Fluoride.

Chlorine is very easily filtered by activated charcoal. Since a good shower filter has (or should have) activated charcoal and optionally KDF, chlorine is not a big issue.

But no shower filter is able to reduce or eliminate fluoride from the water. There's two reasons for this.

First is that there's only three ways that fluoride can be filtered from water - reverse osmosis, distillation and ion exchange. Few shower filters use ion exchangers.

Second is the flow rate. Even if the filter has an ion exchanger, there's way too much water flowing through the small filter to make it possible for the filter to catch everything.

You need something like a 10 inch filter cartridge full of ion exchange material to make a meaningful difference to fluoride. After only a couple hundred or thousand liters, the filter material needs to be regenerated (some can be washed in salt) or the filter needs to be replaced, because as it attracts literally all minerals (especially calcium is prevalent), the ion exchange capacity is quickly exhausted.

From what I recall, you aren’t going to be able to get any fluoride and very little chlorine out using a shower head. Long story short, you need more time and/or bigger filters than what can be fitted to your shower. Maybe the “technology” has advanced, but I’d need some legitimate testing and accredited results before taking a vendor’s word for it.

A 5-10 micron activated charcoal block filter or something comparable should be able to filter out most of the chlorine.

Last edited:

cdg

Most shower filters are a scam, especially on amazon.

Chlorine is very easily filtered by activated charcoal. Since a good shower filter has (or should have) activated charcoal and optionally KDF, chlorine is not a big issue.

But no shower filter is able to reduce or eliminate fluoride from the water. There's two reasons for this.

First is that there's only three ways that fluoride can be filtered from water - reverse osmosis, distillation and ion exchange. Few shower filters use ion exchangers.

Second is the flow rate. Even if the filter has an ion exchanger, there's way too much water flowing through the small filter to make it possible for the filter to catch everything.

You need something like a 10 inch filter cartridge full of ion exchange material to make a meaningful difference to fluoride. After only a couple hundred or thousand liters, the filter material needs to be regenerated (some can be washed in salt) or the filter needs to be replaced, because as it attracts literally all minerals (especially calcium is prevalent), the ion exchange capacity is quickly exhausted.

A 5-10 micron activated charcoal block filter or something comparable should be able to filter out most of the chlorine.
Many places use chloramine standard carbon filters are useless: Chloramines as a disinfectant

mosaic01

Many places use chloramine standard carbon filters are useless: Chloramines as a disinfectant

Activated charcoal filters are one of the best methods against chloramine, the problem is the pore size, flow rate and contact time. A block filter with <0.5 micron will mechanically filter out the chloramine and does not depent on catalysis.

Shower filters can not do such effective filtering, thus they are probably useless for chloramine. But activated charcoal filters are still the best choice for showers in general.

Apparently, vitamin C neutralizes chloramine?

Last edited:
OP
P

proteome

Forum Supporter
It seems like if you're willing to give up on Fluoride filtering, it's best to look for a filter with activated carbon and KDF, then.

BubblesMcGee

Forum Supporter
You didn’t list this one but I like the Jolie filter. I used it in LA where the water smelled horribly like chlorine and the smell was gone after installing it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom