Abstract
This special issue of Nova Religio brings together four articles that examine particular intersections of new religious movements and food. Dan McKanan examines spiritual food practices within the loose network of spiritual movements associated with Anthroposophy, the turn of the century “spiritual science” developed by Rudolf Steiner (1861–1925) that continues to have resonance today. Susannah Crockford contributes an article on fasting traditions in the contemporary New Age movement, based on her ethnographic fieldwork in Sedona, Arizona. Dusty Hoesly writes on the countercultural California group the Brotherhood of the Sun, which operated a series of highly successful food businesses in the 1970s and 1980s, and which he situates within a tradition of mindful food production and consumption. Constance Elsberg’s study of food practices and food entrepreneurship in Yogi Bhajan’s (1929–2004) Healthy, Happy, Holy Organization (3HO) movement uses the lens of food to examine the group’s growth, institutionalization, and subsequent struggles. This introduction contextualizes these four movements, and other new religious movements, in terms of their engagement with food, using the lenses of social, cultural, economic, and structural factors.

Attachments

• WICHTIG New Religious Movements and Food nr_2019_23_1_5.pdf
    130.4 KB · Views: 1
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Lightbringer Poll: Which Group Of Religious Beliefs Do You Associate With? Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 0
damngoodcoffee Religious Discussion Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 22
S Flaky, red skin, itchyness and poo pebble bowl movements Skin 46
B Marxism And The New Age Progressive Movements Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 179
S Involuntary Movements, Paralysis & Diharrea Ask For Help or Advice 1
J Wiping After Bowel Movements Ask For Help or Advice 50
boris Animal With Gears - Interacting Gears Synchronize Propulsive Leg Movements In A Jumping Insect Articles & Scientific Studies 1
U Activated Charcoal Stopped Bowel Movements. Completely Digestion 23
A The Connection Of Serotonin And Bowel Movements? Ask For Help or Advice 102
Cirion Fat Intake & Painful Bowel Movements Fats 7
A Bowel Movements And Gas Problem Right After Mental Task Ask For Help or Advice 7
S Huge Black Bowel Movements Digestion 9
SOMO POOP And Bowel Movements? What Are Yours Like? Ask For Help or Advice 16
michael94 Race-Baiting Division Tactics, Fake Movements, Etc Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 0
biggirlkisss Small Little Pebble Bowel Movements What Does That Mean? Ask For Help or Advice 6
M Coffee And Bowel Movements Coffee 4
Velve921 What would cause green bowel movements? Digestion 8
I Bowel Movements iLoveSugar 47
C POO 101: Bowel Movements Digestion, Gut Flora 14
M Lazy men recipes / food advices // how much time do you spend to prepare food? Ask For Help or Advice 3
bzmazu Why are over 35 million people in the US "food insecure"? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 4
bzmazu Can eating junk food as a child alter your microbiome for life? Digestion, Gut Flora 0
N Great reset food options Politics and Science Radio Show 5
bzmazu What Will People Do For Food When Much of Europe And North America Is Too Cold to Farm? Science 8
deliciousfruit Why is Peat so adamant about supplement use, but not food quality? Ray Peat Topics 5
P How to treat acquired food allergies linked to upset stomach; Antibiotic flush? Digestion 0
TypicalJock Does food in plastic packaging effect the food? Ask For Help or Advice 1
P How Do I Know If My Issues Are Caused By Enviroment Or Food? Dream About Eating Mold Mental Issues 5
bzmazu A Corporate Takeover Of The Food System Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 2
RealNeat Why Focus On Nano In Food But Not In Skies? Ray Peat Topics 11
A Exposure Of Iron Knife With Food Ask For Help or Advice 14
N Bad Reaction To Traditional Food Market Whole Bone Calcium Supplement Diet 6
haidut Many "inert" Additives In Drugs And Food Are Actually Active And Toxic Scientific Studies 4
A I Dont Tolerate Food X Anymore, I Can’t Eat Anything Anymore Ask For Help or Advice 17
V Eating More Nutritious Food That I Don't Crave And I Find Hard To Digest Or Avoid Them At All? Digestion 9
Hgreen56 I Need A Thermo Food Jar, Are These Safe? Additives, Cookware, Eating Out, Spices 0
Drareg Rockefeller "Reset The Table" Food Supply Tyranny Articles & Scientific Studies 50
N Enzymes And Biogenic Amines In Food : Your Experiences ? Ask For Help or Advice 1
J Keep An Eye On Your Food Rant or Rave 20
C İs Potatoes Bad Food? Digestion 9
N Pork Rind/Skin : The PERFECT And UNDERESTIMATED Peaty Food ? Miscellaneous Health Discussions 8
I Does A Food/Sugar Addiction Exist? Health 10
haidut Food Emulsifiers And Endotoxin (LPS) Cause Brain Bleeding Scientific Studies 5
Lewis Acid Long-Term L-Serine Administration Reduces Food Intake And Improves Oxidative Stress And Sirt1/NFκB S Scientific Studies 2
M Sugary Drinks Without Food Bad? Ask For Help or Advice 3
Zpol Had To Eliminate Yet Another Nutritive Food; How Do I Make This Stop? Recipes 71
GelatinGoblin Help -- How To Digest A Lot Of Food Quickly And Efficiently Digestion 10
C Intense Stress During Passage Of Food Through Large Intestine Ask For Help or Advice 128
Hgreen56 I React On High Serotonin Content Food, Not High Tryptophan Food. What Does This Mean? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
J The Safest, Least Irritating PUFA Food? Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 6