I Hate Smart Phones- Am I Odd/Alone In This?

somuch4food

It's hard to get out of this addiction when your in it. It's like an ocean current that's pulling you along. The worst part about this is when you're constantly consuming you have no time to develop your own thoughts.

That's what I'm becoming aware of.

The smart phone does not bring me joy, only noise to keep ne distracted from life. I'm tempted once in a while to go back to a dumb cellphone, but smart phones have many useful features...

The problem is how one uses it. We should be using the phone not become a slave to the phone. I'm working on this right now, cutting it out would be easier, but I would only be avoiding the problem.

lampofred

Radiation concerns aside I think smartphones are amazing. But by nature the more amazing something is the more addictive it is and once you are addicted to something it is damaging you whenever you are taking pleasure in it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I went back to a flip phone from 2014-2016 and really loved it honestly. The only reason I returned to using a smartphone was because it made it easier to deal with certain things in life (mainly family).

InChristAlone

I think smartphones are destroying relationships, but I feel like with such immediate access social media people are starting to wake up to the evils in the world. It's surprising more censorship hasn't already happened in the US.

PPbro

Life without a phone is so liberating. Make it a personal challenge to spend a whole day with your phone left behind you in the bedroom.

Then make it a whole weekend.

It’s like any other addiction.

If you’re suffering from low dopamine symptoms that only your phone can (seemingly) resolve, up the fat, sugar, and amino acids. Keeping calories in check of course.

dfspcc20

On a similar note, when did it become normalized to pay $800+ for a phone? That's along with probably $100+/month for service, plus accessories. All of which scales (not linearly, necessarily) with more people in your household.

Kunstruct

On a similar note, when did it become normalized to pay $800+ for a phone? That's along with probably $100+/month for service, plus accessories. All of which scales (not linearly, necessarily) with more people in your household.

You can pay only $200 for a smartphone should you want to buy an entry level model from certain brands.

dfspcc20

You can pay only $200 for a smartphone should you want to buy an entry level model from certain brands.

I know that option is available, but looking at what continues to be available and what people around me are buying, it seems people are completely ok with paying the $800+.

Around the time the iPhone 5 was released, I naively thought we'd eventually reach a saturation point where people would finally say "enough" and start to step back from becoming so dependent on the technosphere. That doesn't seem to be happening, unfortunately.

Kunstruct

I know that option is available, but looking at what continues to be available and what people around me are buying, it seems people are completely ok with paying the $800+.

Around the time the iPhone 5 was released, I naively thought we'd eventually reach a saturation point where people would finally say "enough" and start to step back from becoming so dependent on the technosphere. That doesn't seem to be happening, unfortunately.

Yeap.

OP
D

DMF

I use public trans to get around - busses/trains here in Chicago - and the junk I notice looking over other passengers they're into (addicted to?) - poker, sports (betting?), videos, movies - who wants to "watch" a movie in a cramped stuff passenger car during rush hour?
Then there are the others - who read books, and newspapers thank goodness.
But are these phones doing harm in the long run - or just producing a new, different breed ?
I don't feel so odd or out of it thanks to these replies.

boris

@DMF

1:21 - "That thought process was all about: 'How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?' And that means that we need to...give you a little dopamine hit every once in a while [via likes, etc]...and that's going to get you to contribute more content, and that's going to get you...more likes and comments. It's a social validation feedback loop."... you're exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology 2:01 - "The inventors, creators — it's me, it's Mark [Zuckerberg], it's Kevin Systrom on Instagram, it's all of these people — understood this consciously. And we did it anyway."

I think people who are running on serotonergic systems instead of dopamine are more prone to get addicted to these constant small dopamine surges from games and apps.
So it possibly messes with the brain. Or keeps people from doing better things. Smartphones can be a useful tool too, but then there's the harm from radiation.

And:
1:06 - "God only knows what it's doing to our children's brains."

Last edited:

Velve921

I am grateful for a smartphone because I know that I can learn anything at any moment at any time.

If you compare to any advanced education, the ROI on a smartphone is a gift to the world when it comes to knowledge.

I am happy to pay $1000 for a smartphone; but that’s because I believe knowledge is the most valuable currency.

my excuses are diminishing everyday as to why I can’t figure something out because I can literally type it in on Google.

Kartoffel

I am grateful for a smartphone because I know that I can learn anything at any moment at any time.

If you compare to any advanced education, the ROI on a smartphone is a gift to the world when it comes to knowledge.

I am happy to pay $1000 for a smartphone; but that’s because I believe knowledge is the most valuable currency.

my excuses are diminishing everyday as to why I can’t figure something out because I can literally type it in on Google.

Lol. Your sarcasm is on the same level as Amazoniac's

yerrag

You still have to figure out if Google is giving you the answers it wants you to have. If you get a wrong answer, do you blame it on Google or on yourself?

Why are you in this forum when Google is giving you no excuses for knowing the answers this forum so desperately needs?

Velve921

You still have to figure out if Google is giving you the answers it wants you to have. If you get a wrong answer, do you blame it on Google or on yourself?

Why are you in this forum when Google is giving you no excuses for knowing the answers this forum so desperately needs?

I found the ray peat forum in a google search.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The teeny tiny space jammed crammed with everything/anything in the universe - pop-ups - distractions drives me into a sort of psychotic myopia. I need large lengthy space, simplicity, clarity. These toys are cold hard impersonal, and the constant TOUCHING - I prefer buttons, knobs, levers. I wanna punch this thing sometimes.
My daughter has not used smartphone in years. She’s 29.

opethfeldt

Smartphones are pretty much neutral for me. I dislike how they create disconnects between people. How they encourage narcissistic behavior. There's also the negative health effects from EMF. However, having access to the internet and a wealth of information no matter where I am (with cell coverage) is rather useful.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom