I Hate Smart Phones- Am I Odd/Alone In This?

DMF

The teeny tiny space jammed crammed with everything/anything in the universe - pop-ups - distractions drives me into a sort of psychotic myopia. I need large lengthy space, simplicity, clarity. These toys are cold hard impersonal, and the constant TOUCHING - I prefer buttons, knobs, levers. I wanna punch this thing sometimes.

Spokey

I don't like most implementations. But then I'm not a fan of the phone generally.

gaze

The biggest problem for me is the sheer necessity of communication and the obligation to have one. In college for example. you quite literally cannot be a student without a phone and laptop to check emails and so on. But the distraction factor as you said is also prominent. I for sure feel my attention span has plummeted ever since I first got ahold of smart phones.

Herbie

Yes take me basic mobile phone. Street directory and maps in the glove box.

Home phones with the cord had such an ergonomic feel to them.

yerrag

@GreekDemiGod Nah! it's you who can adapt well to anything, no matter what shortcoming it has. Know what a tactile keyboard is like? probably not.

Last edited:

milkboi

• inability to adapt
  • stuck in the past

That's just stupid. Most smartphone users I know (basically every person I know) has maladapted to his smartphone. Always on the hunt for instant gratification via likes, text messages, "important" news, scrolling the ******* feed like a rat that pulls a lever etc. Not adapting to this kind of technology use can show a great ability to adapt in my opinion.

yerrag

I've never liked driving automatics. Always manual. Just like the feel.

Also never got used to the current traffic in the city. Yes, I'm stuck in the past, and I certainly am not able to adapt to it. Can you blame me? Time in traffic is a large part of life wasted.

yerrag

I've never liked driving automatics. Always manual. Just like the feel.

Also never got used to the current traffic in the city. Yes, I'm stuck in the past, and I certainly am not able to adapt to it. Can you blame me? Time in traffic is a large part of life wasted.
Okay, I adapted. I turn on my podcast to Ray Peat interviews and listen to Scott Adams' periscope. It keeps me cool and composed through the ennui of traffic. I'm in the traffic congestion capital, and I can thank my smartphone for the podcasts.

Aymen

The biggest problem for me is the sheer necessity of communication and the obligation to have one. In college for example. you quite literally cannot be a student without a phone and laptop to check emails and so on. But the distraction factor as you said is also prominent. I for sure feel my attention span has plummeted ever since I first got ahold of smart phones.
laptop should be safer with f.lux and you consult your emails every night to know what i's new in the college.

boris

That's just stupid. Most smartphone users I know (basically every person I know) has maladapted to his smartphone. Always on the hunt for instant gratification via likes, text messages, "important" news, scrolling the ******* feed like a rat that pulls a lever etc. Not adapting to this kind of technology use can show a great ability to adapt in my opinion.

It's hard to get out of this addiction when your in it. It's like an ocean current that's pulling you along. The worst part about this is when you're constantly consuming you have no time to develop your own thoughts.

Amazoniac

For a smoother transition:
- Skeuomorph - Wikipedia

Okay, I adapted. I turn on my podcast to Ray Peat interviews and listen to Scott Adams' periscope. It keeps me cool and composed through the ennui of traffic. I'm in the traffic congestion capital, and I can thank my smartphone for the podcasts.
What about creative leisure?

Last edited:

Amazoniac

When I'm on a quick wee hour run and it's heaven!
But that's when people put on earphones to infuse their cerebra with others' ideas, otherwise it's unproductive time that's being wasted; there is little room left for original thinking. If the person is after solving problems, at the same time that having it at the back of the head will function like a filter to extract what's useful from the information presented, it's also possible for it to be distractive.

As much as many of you have interesting posts on a regular basis, if we consider the random questions that we receive on varied topics, subscribing to others will soon result in a news feed that's unmanageable. It takes a semi-god to deal with it. :):

yerrag

But that's when people put on earphones to infuse their cerebra with others' ideas, otherwise it's unproductive time that's being wasted; there is little room left for original thinking. If the person is after solving problems, at the same time that having it at the back of the head will function like a filter to extract what's useful from the information presented, it's also possible for it to be distractive.

As much as many of you have interesting posts on a regular basis, if we consider the random questions that we receive on varied topics, subscribing to others will soon result in a news feed that's unmanageable. It takes a semi-god to deal with it. :):
Can't listen to podcasts at home or elsewhere. Too many distractions. Driving and stuck in traffic, my mind is focused on driving and listening. When the topic is engaging, the drive becomes too short. I get to my destination relaxed.

Do you meditate thru traffic? Stay safe.

Amazoniac

Can't listen to podcasts at home or elsewhere. Too many distractions. Driving and stuck in traffic, my mind is focused on driving and listening. When the topic is engaging, the drive becomes too short. I get to my destination relaxed.

Do you meditate thru traffic? Stay safe.
It's also a time of being alone without those distractions. If you can process their information in spite of the traffic, you can process your thoughts as well. The podcasts are comforting in this sense.
These toys are cold hard impersonal, and the constant TOUCHING - I prefer buttons, knobs, levers. I wanna punch this thing sometimes.
It's like adopting a cat: a toy that has no feelings, you can touch them and they won't move, will remain cold and impersonal, makes you wanna punch them until they bark.

Imagine requiring one separate spot for every different function.

Kunstruct

Most people use a smartphone for mostly to use with Facebook and such type of apps which could also be on a PC.
Same with youtube which was massive popular on the PC but now on smartphones.

After all most of these popular apps do not requite a PC, a smartphone is enough so people switched to a smartphone for mainly using these apps.
And yeah swiping with the fingers is so much more engaging in these apps with a wall than using a mouse or a touchpad on a laptop.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom