Does 100% natural commercially available male's underwear even exist?

Gânico

I would go for organic cotton, but even "organic" ones are sketchy, there is really no 100% safe common clothing nowadays, unless you are filthy rich or learn how to craft yours with animal hides, like the good ol days lol

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I would go for organic cotton, but even "organic" ones are sketchy, there is really no 100% safe common clothing nowadays, unless you are filthy rich or learn how to craft yours with animal hides, like the good ol days lol

What makes it sketchy in your view? Some brands like Pact have good collateral supporting the way they do things, but I guess any commercial brand will always find a way to be sneaky about the process. For example, what does "organic" even mean these days?

In one of Danny's podcast there was a discussion about how a few washes should get rid of all the chemicals left from any of the more organic clothing options.

Sphagnum

I have these:

100% organic cotton, unbleached and undyed.
Drawstring waistband.

They also come in a few colors too, but I stick to the untreated ones.

Here are their socks as well, same deal:

They have a lot of clothing basics on their site that are just untreated organic cotton and nothing else.

They are a little pricey so what I did was sign up for their emails, and every so often they will have a decent sale (best I’ve seen was 40% off) and then I stocked up on what I wanted.
I’ve also found some of their stuff for sale cheaper on different online market places, namely HisRoom and Amazon, so it pays to shop around for their stuff.

Sphagnum

I’m waiting on this company to restock these shoes (was told by a store rep that within a month or so the spring stuff will be released and theses may be back. Fingers crossed.)

“With their current base of operations, the new Rueda manufacturing facility occupies an area of 2000 square meters where no glue or any kind of plastic is used for the making of these shoes. Simply cotton and jute, the whole shoe is put together with a thick cotton string that traverses the jute braided sole through to the upper body of the shoe, creating a completely biodegradable product.”

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I have these:

100% organic cotton, unbleached and undyed.
Drawstring waistband.

They also come in a few colors too, but I stick to the untreated ones.

Here are their socks as well, same deal:

They have a lot of clothing basics on their site that are just untreated organic cotton and nothing else.

They are a little pricey so what I did was sign up for their emails, and every so often they will have a decent sale (best I’ve seen was 40% off) and then I stocked up on what I wanted.
I’ve also found some of their stuff for sale cheaper on different online market places, namely HisRoom and Amazon, so it pays to shop around for their stuff.

These look really good. I'll get a few. I needed to replace some socks, so it's perfect timing

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I’m waiting on this company to restock these shoes (was told by a store rep that within a month or so the spring stuff will be released and theses may be back. Fingers crossed.)

“With their current base of operations, the new Rueda manufacturing facility occupies an area of 2000 square meters where no glue or any kind of plastic is used for the making of these shoes. Simply cotton and jute, the whole shoe is put together with a thick cotton string that traverses the jute braided sole through to the upper body of the shoe, creating a completely biodegradable product.”

These look interesting, in line with what @JamesGatz was talking about with not wearing rubber soles.

@Sphagnum Are these the kind of shoes that are great in concept but end up being really uncomfortable to walk in though?

Sphagnum

As for your questions about wool types, what is best really varies by source more than animal fiber type. Cashmere is usually considered ‘better’ than merino in general based off of feel, but good quality merino is also easily better than bargain cashmere and can be found at a better price.

I have items in the three you mentioned: merino, cashmere, alpaca. Cashmere and alpaca tend to be softer and warmer because the fibers are finer, but that also makes them much less durable.
Merino can increasingly be found in very warm, soft, durable quality clothing now with tight knit materials from a number of brands. Just shop around and see which ones fall in line with your needs. I’ve never personally come across anything merino that was untreated, and haven’t seen merino underwear that didn’t have elastic, but that isn’t to say it isn’t out there. I’m sure it is, and I haven’t found it yet.

Sphagnum

These look interesting, in line with what @JamesGatz was talking about with not wearing rubber soles.

@Sphagnum Are these the kind of shoes that are great in concept but end up being really uncomfortable to walk in though?
I have espadrilles from other brands and never had any issues with comfort other than some rubbing when I didn’t wear socks. I wear “barefoot” shoes exclusively, along with a decent amount of actual barefoot walking, so maybe I’m used to what espadrilles offer (or don’t offer I should say, as far as lack of cushioning.)

The only other issues I’ve had with espadrilles were 1) if you step in anything wet it’s getting soaked into the sole, and 2) the lesser quality fast-fashion ones had soles that fall apart eventually. That why I wanted to try the IOAN ones I posted, because I have other items from that brand and it’s all very well made so I’m hoping the shoes will hold up well.

Last edited:
OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I have espadrilles from other brands and never had any issues with comfort other than some rubbing when I didn’t wear socks. I wear “barefoot” shoes exclusively, along with a decent amount of actual barefoot walking, so maybe I’m used to what espadrilles offer (or don’t offer I should say, as far as lack of cushioning.)

The only other issues I’ve had with espadrilles were 1) if you step in anything wet it’s getting soaked into the sole, and 2) the lesser quality fast-fashion ones had soles that fall apart eventually. That why I wanted to the IOAN ones because I have other items from they brand and they’re very well made so I’m hoping they’ll hold up well.

Awesome. Thanks a lot. I learned a lot in the last 10 minutes and took note of quite a few of brands.

-Luke-

Old Irenaeus

Yeah, that would be an interesting experiment. Actually, what kind of skins did God use in whatever kind of undies those were that he made for them as a consolation when they got kicked out of the Garden?

Sphagnum

@Sphagnum Any product or brand you like for slippers to wear at home?

I found a couple that could be interesting:

When I was searching for house slippers last spring, what I landed on and considered most were Glerups (ran across them on the LL Bean site while trying, unsuccessfully, to find a pair of leather soled slippers that didn't have synthetic padding in between.)

Glerups are felted wool with no added padding, and the choice of a natural sole (you can get either leather or rubber)
I tried a pair but they didn't fit my foot width. Otherwise, I liked them and would have kept them.
Of the choices you found, the Kyrgies look best since the only synthetics seems to be the thin poly fabric sole.
Another option I considered were eBay selections of hand made shearling slippers and felted slippers. They seemed to all come from overseas, though, so if they didn't fit well it would be a hassle. I imagine most people could likely find handmade shearling and felted slippers on Etsy in their domestic range, but I had already mentally committed to my next option:

I ultimately found some videos online on how to make your own felted wool slippers and bought a ball of roving wool, planning to make my own pair.
I was waiting until it started getting cold here before I made them, but it was unseasonably warm through early January, at which time I went away to a warmer climate for more than a month. Now that I'm back, its been a mix of mild winter and spring temp days, so I haven't had the motivation to start the project just yet.

Last edited:
OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

When I was searching for house slippers last spring, what I landed on and considered most were Glerups (ran across them on the LL Bean site while trying, unsuccessfully, to find a pair of leather soled slippers that didn't have synthetic padding in between.)

Glerups are felted wool with no added padding, and the choice of a natural sole (you can get either leather or rubber)
I tried a pair but they didn't fit my foot width. Otherwise, I liked them and would have kept them.
Of the choices you found, the Kyrgies look best since the only synthetics seems to be the thin poly fabric sole.
Another option I considered were eBay selections of hand made shearling slippers and felted slippers. They seemed to all come from overseas, though, so if they didn't fit well it would be a hassle. I imagine most people could likely find handmade shearling and felted slippers on Etsy in their domestic range, but I had already mentally committed to my next option:

I ultimately found some videos online on how to make your own felted wool slippers and bought a ball of roving wool, planning to make my own pair.
I was waiting until it started getting cold here before I made them, but it was unseasonably warm through early January, at which time I went away to a warmer climate for a more than a month. Now that I'm back, its been a mix of mild winter and spring temp days, so I haven't had the motivation to start the project just yet.
Thank you! Very insightful.

Do you have any opinion on the brand Allbirds?

They have some interesting wool products from what I've seen:

Runners: Men's Wool Runner Fluffs - Natural White (White Sole)
Slippers: Men's Wool Lounger Fluffs - Natural White (Cream Sole)

Their midsoles are made of something green EVA. Their tshirts and briefs are half wool half lyocell, which is eucalyptus pulp.

They started by selling shoes and they've grown into a huge company selling all kinds of things now, which always opens the door to more questionable business practices.

Wool boxer shorts and socks?? I cannot fathom wearing those. I must run a lot hotter than you lot since the only thing that keeps me cool is proper bamboo fibres(not that rayon shite) and that is regardless of the ambient temperature. I was under the impression that heat is bad for the testicles anyways hence icing etc. The claims that wool is temperature regulating is also incredibly exaggerated. I own a summer TOG duvet and its anything but cool

Sphagnum

Thank you! Very insightful.

Do you have any opinion on the brand Allbirds?

They have some interesting wool products from what I've seen:

Runners: Men's Wool Runner Fluffs - Natural White (White Sole)
Slippers: Men's Wool Lounger Fluffs - Natural White (Cream Sole)

Their midsoles are made of something green EVA. Their tshirts and briefs are half wool half lyocell, which is eucalyptus pulp.

They started by selling shoes and they've grown into a huge company selling all kinds of things now, which always opens the door to more questionable business practices.
I'm not too familiar with them. I recall seeing them when I was looking into merino base layers, but decided to steer more toward brands that offered a higher (if not 100%) amount of merino overall because I was looking for cold weather clothing. I suppose the Allbirds blends would be better in warmer weather as far as wicking and breathability, but it would depend how much other stuff you're okay with being mixed in and not knowing the manufacturing process for.

By the way, I had a promo email in my inbox today from Cottonique with a discount code if you or anyone else wants to use it. The code is LOVEYOURSKIN2022 and is for 30% off a purchase of $100 or more, good until the end of February. I believe their shipping is always free as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom