Zinc supplements and insomnia, any idea of the mechanism behind it?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

This seems to align the most with my experience. I have deficient copper and crruloplasmin. The last 2 years everyone I talked to was looking through the lens of copper is toxic in all cases, you have hidden copper toxicity, TAKE MORE ZINC. Zinc no matter what dose causes insane insomnia. Higher doses just make it worse.

I also suspected that it is because of lowering cortisol causing increased adrenaline. I think it’s a similar mechanism for magnesium and other supps that should help sleep by lowering cortisol, but cause insane insomnia in me.

Did you take copper to fix your copper deficiency?

I don’t think that’s the way either but am open to all ideas.
what tests do you base your deficiency on? Have you done hair mineral analysis as recommended here earlier?

I do remember magnesium supplements orally did give me insomnia in the past, but magnesium baths which I do most of the days are always helping my sleep out.

Another thing, while zinc causes insomnia it also makes me feel great and raises my pulse, whereas magnesium orally only insomnia.

PeterSN

zinc supplements could potentially create histamine overload due to lowering copper (DAO) for specific time window. Histamine seems to have some kind of sleep-wake cycle regulation, specifically at the H-1 receptor. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1544319115305872

I also have personal anecdotal evidence of using H1-receptor antagonist drugs like quetipin to quickly fall asleep in the presence of insomnia.

youngsinatra

I think it‘s much better to eat red meat or oysters regularly to obtain zinc than supplementing it in my opinion.

Your copper and zinc status is very good, also both in a good ratio, so I see no problem with that.

I think I ran into problems with chronic zinc supplementation. These days, I don’t supplement any minerals/metals, just taking a few missing B vitamins from single-ingredient powders.

Ismail

Seconding copper toxicity. I experienced this too for a while when I began high dose zinc. Testicles hurt a bit too, which is another common symptom of copper elimination. These days zinc is making me sleep better.
Do you remember how long your insomnia lasted whilst you were high dosing zinc?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I think it‘s much better to eat red meat or oysters regularly to obtain zinc than supplementing it in my opinion.

Your copper and zinc status is very good, also both in a good ratio, so I see no problem with that.

I think I ran into problems with chronic zinc supplementation. These days, I don’t supplement any minerals/metals, just taking a few missing B vitamins from single-ingredient powders.
Oysters are on the way and I'm not planning on skipping my beef anymore, but the zinc from supps was so profound, I only hope its due to deficiency, so i can correct it in time with food.

youngsinatra

Oysters are on the way and I'm not planning on skipping my beef anymore, but the zinc from supps was so profound, I only hope its due to deficiency, so i can correct it in time with food.
And before anyone scares you off from the oysters because they have copper in them:

The zinc:copper ratio in oysters is so high, you won’t really absorb much of that copper anyway. In this study, the lady consumed 15-20 oysters (~150mg zinc and 14mg copper!) a day and turned copper deficient, really bad.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ismail

Not long, it tapered off gradually over a week or two at 60-75mg a day.
Thank you 🙏

Assuming you initially did the high dosing zinc to reduce your copper toxicity?

Which form of zinc did you use?

TheSir

Thank you 🙏

Assuming you initially did the high dosing zinc to reduce your copper toxicity?

Which form of zinc did you use?
Bisglycinate. I'm taking it to buffer my sensitive nervous system and to reduce cellular Na/K ratio. Been maintaining this dose for the last six months. The copper elimination is just a bonus.

TheSir

Excuse my ignorance, but I would’ve assumed cellular Na/K would’ve been a good thing? Unless your ratio is totally off? If so, how did you know that it was off?
Good ratio is about 2.5 to 4, mine is slightly above that. When it's above 2.5 zinc is taken, and when it's below copper & manganese is taken. I test my hair every few months.

Ismail

Good ratio is about 2.5 to 4, mine is slightly above that. When it's above 2.5 zinc is taken, and when it's below copper & manganese is taken. I test my hair every few months.
Oh ok gotcha, thank you 🙏

Deadpool

what tests do you base your deficiency on? Have you done hair mineral analysis as recommended here earlier?

I do remember magnesium supplements orally did give me insomnia in the past, but magnesium baths which I do most of the days are always helping my sleep out.

Another thing, while zinc causes insomnia it also makes me feel great and raises my pulse, whereas magnesium orally only insomnia.

I did test with a Walsh practitioner. Serum zinc is low and copper is deficient and ceruloplasmin as well. Also did a hair mineral analysis test and copper looked normal on there, but they still say it could be hidden copper toxicity.

“High doses of Calcium, Zinc or Magnesium
As noted above with the Iron and Calcium combo above, Calcium will compete for absorption with other minerals. Since Calcium can affect how your body absorbs Iron, it can also affect the absorption of Zinc and Magnesium, too.”

“If you’re taking a Zinc supplement, don’t take it at the same time as Copper, Iron, or Phosphorus supplements.”

https://www.naturemade.com/blogs/health-articles/what-vitamins-shouldn-t-be-taken-together#:~:text=If%20you're%20taking%20a,reduce%20absorption%20of%20each%20other.

ddjd

Anything that lowers nitric oxide will cause insomnia

Deadpool

Anything that lowers nitric oxide will cause insomnia
Very interesting, as for example b1 which raises co2 causes insane insomnia for me as well. But zinc? Shouldnt it raise nitric oxide?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

"Zinc inhibits AchE" it might be connected to acetylcholine, insomnia from zinc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals