Low Toxin Testimonials Why We Stopped the Vitamin A Detox Diet

My husband and I did Grant Genereaux's low A diet for several months. No changes for the better for us. I wondered if anyone else had tried it with similar results and found this.

“The original time-frame of the diet was anywhere from one to six months. That seemed doable. But as time went on it kept extending – one year, two years, five years. Hmmm…

We did see some progress at first.

Then we got to the 6-7 month mark. And things changed.

I went from feeling good to my digestive system basically shutting down overnight. And six months later it still is not very functional. It’s been a hard setback to accept as I had worked so hard for years to get where I was.

My oldest went back to struggling with focus.

My eight-year-old’s eczema and food reactions started coming back.

My five-year-old’s leg pains and poor appetite returned.

My nursling started to sleep poorly and react to foods again.

Basically it all came crashing down.”

It sound like all the rest, it works until it doesn’t. I guess it works like supplements, it corrects the problem and then continuing past the goal it takes “U” turn…

“When a study reports a U-shaped curve it means that there is the lowest incidence of disease in the middle ranges, with peaks in both the lower and upper ranges.”

Hermes

There is an alternative approach, just for those who run into problems along the way, it sounds contradictory: eat eggs to replenish choline in the body. It's so important that the rather small amount of retinol in eggs doesn't matter, at least that's how Andrew (the poster) justifies his reasoning:

Hermes

Perhaps the aforementioned family would be in a different place if they had incorporated eggs. At least there's one thing to learn: there's more than one way to get to Rome.

InChristAlone

The moral of all health stories.........'the dose is the poison'
Yes indeed. But when it comes to fat soluble things, the dose can be low enough to not cause acute toxicity but over time cause chronic toxicity as it is being stored in our tissues.

Matt1951

@Kimster The US government has a "tolerable upper limit" for vitamin A. The British government has a lower limit than the US, and it includes restriction on total vitamin A, beta carotene, and supplements. These limits were put in place because too much vitamin A causes brittle bones and hip breaks. https://assets.publishing.service.g...ACN_Review_of_Dietary_Advice_on_Vitamin_A.pdf
"The EVM set a Guidance Level for retinol intake of 1500 µg/day, for adults, based on evidence that intakes above this level may increase the risk of bone fracture. There were insufficient available data to set a Guidance Level for children."
So too much vitamin A is bad. There is consensus. However there have been intensive studies of vitamin A and it has not been found to be a toxin at lower levels, it is beneficial. Yes, 'the dose is the poison'. Avoid supplemental vitamin A, avoid liver, carrots and sweet potatoes, and then don't worry about it.

TheSir

There is an alternative approach, just for those who run into problems along the way, it sounds contradictory: eat eggs to replenish choline in the body. It's so important that the rather small amount of retinol in eggs doesn't matter
Those who are scared of eggs could give lecithin a try. It's an excellent source of choline with half a teaspoon supplying the RDA.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Is it really like a switch instead of gradually appearing problems
It can be both. But yes, sometimes it is literally like a switch. The researcher Anthony Mawson called it the vitamin A cascade, if I remember correctly. Liver fills up, then boom.

GreekDemiGod

Yes indeed. But when it comes to fat soluble things, the dose can be low enough to not cause acute toxicity but over time cause chronic toxicity as it is being stored in our tissues.
Do foods low in retinol and high in choline exists? Probably not.
Why would nature make such "mistakes"?

mattmm24

I took accutane when I was in middle school. Don’t seem to have that many side effects other than a little dry skin and minor eczema. However, from my experience it comes down to how well your thyroid is working. I think we all have toxic metals in our body. I did nutritional balancing and when I was in fast oxidation my skin cleared up (thyroid working great). When I was in slow oxidation skin dry (sluggish thyroid). Goal is always to be in mixed oxidation. Point is I think the vitamin a stuff is overrated and it comes down to being copper, lead, cadmium, alluminum, mercury, nickel, iron, etc toxic. These are all replacing zinc in our bodies, which is important with using pre formed vitamin a. So basically we are all zinc deficient, so on the surface it makes sense that vitamin a could be the problem. But it’s deeper than that. Not going to pretend I have all the answers. But most people are hypothyroid so of course they will struggle with vitamin a.

InChristAlone

Do foods low in retinol and high in choline exists? Probably not.
Why would nature make such "mistakes"?
I'd say beef is a high choline lowish vitamin A food.

Hermes

I'd say beef is a high choline lowish vitamin A food.
Beef heart is a good source, white scallops. Beef heart doesn't have vitamin A, scallops do. There is something about whole foods that is superior to a supplement like lecithin or phoshpatidylcholine. There are other vitamins in eggs, like selenium and B vitamins that help with vitamin A detoxification.

InChristAlone

Beef heart is a good source, white scallops. Beef heart doesn't have vitamin A, scallops do. There is something about whole foods that is superior to a supplement like lecithin or phoshpatidylcholine. There are other vitamins in eggs, like selenium and B vitamins that help with vitamin A detoxification.
I doubt I'll ever eat beef hearts, but thanks for the info! I agree that eggs have a lot of other nutrients, but I am very reactive to them as a meal. I can handle small amounts in other foods like ice cream and cookies.

Nebula

What if it is only about the toxic bile and not about the vitamin A at all.

I think there is much more scientific evidence about that, then vitamin A.

What if it is only about the toxic bile and not about the vitamin A at all.

I think there is much more scientific evidence about that, then vitamin A.
Mufasa do you still agree the high vitamin A doses you were taking back in these posts had lasting positive effects on you? Or have your views on vitamin A changed?
I think many people including me sometimes forget how freaking important vitamin A is, and how much stuff can get better with super high vitamin A dosages.

I think vitamin A played a huge role. But it was not a quick fix or whatever. It was very slow. I think around August last year, I remembered looking at a girl differently than before. It slowly evolved since then. I don't think just taking vitamin A would do it. I track my pulse and temp very often, and vitamin A seems to be super important for my metabolism in general and having masculine energy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals